Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Oil Change, third times a charm...I guess (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1329161-oil-change-third-times-a-charm-i-guess.html)

jonrjen 08-06-2014 07:34 AM

Oil Change, third times a charm...I guess

Did my third oil change on my F350 this last week. The first was actually done at the dealership, the second I did in the driveway which went as most oil changes go. Oil running down your arm due to the angle of the arm/hand position when removing the oil pan plug. Then the weight of the oil filter catching you off guard and balance allows for yet another bath and splash.

So when I started the third oil change last week I was prepared. Placed the drain bucket in place, broke loose the oil filter just to make sure there would be no problems later. Removed the oil pan drain plug with my arm out of flows way. Then got up and went to enjoy a beer and doing some other chores around the garage allowing for a nice full oil drain.

Going back to the truck I moved the drain bucket to under the filter then punched a screw driver through the bottom of the filter to allow to drain.
This is where more garage piddling came into play to allow for drain time.

Now back under the truck to install my Fumoto Valve, remove the empty light weight filter and install a new filter that I had already pre filled with oil and snug everything up nice and tight.......but, not too tight of course.

Moved under the hood and fill with 3 gallons of oil. Pick up all my tools and done.

Amazingly not one drop of oil on the driveway. No arm mess. No fuss easy breezy oil and filter change.

Now I look forward to the next oil change using the Fumoto valve with the nipple on the end so that I can drain the oil directly into old oil jugs rather than a 15 QT. drain bucket.

PlayersZ28 08-06-2014 07:38 AM

My truck has 70,000km on it but I haven't done an oil change yet. ;) I'll look into the Fumoto though.

ok, truck has a maintenance plan on it that the prev owner bought. :)

djousma 08-06-2014 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by jonrjen (Post 14561765)

(snip)

Moved under the hood and fill with 3 gallons of oil. Pick up all my tools and done.

(snip)

I hope you added the 13th Qt to the oil filter. These engines require 13 Qts, not 12.

Iowa Ford 08-06-2014 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by jonrjen (Post 14561765)
Did my third oil change

Now back under the truck to install my Fumoto Valve, remove the empty light weight filter and install a new filter that I had already pre filled with oil and snug everything up nice and tight.......but, not too tight of course.

Now I look forward to the next oil change using the Fumoto valve with the nipple on the end so that I can drain the oil directly into old oil jugs rather than a 15 QT. drain bucket.

Looks good !:-X22

senix 08-06-2014 10:13 AM

I always lay some cardboard down on the floor before I do a change and then just throw them away if any splashes.

It is an art because of the sideways plug. Not sure who that that was the way to engineer something.

djousma 08-06-2014 10:14 AM

Yea, its not clear if the oil he used to prefill the filter came from the 3 gallons or the 13th quart. thats why I asked.

jonrjen 08-06-2014 04:46 PM

OK, just so that everyone can sleep soundly tonight. Yes, I put 3 gallons of oil in, plus a fresh filter already filled with new oil. For a total of 13 quarts.

kper05 08-06-2014 05:44 PM

Yep, my first oil change on this truck was a disaster. Once you learn from that first change, it's then as easy as the fuel filters.

fordyce33 08-15-2014 05:54 PM

For cleaner oil changes, check out the EZ Oil Drain Valves @ www.EZoildrain.com where they have drain valves where you can screw in optional hose connectors for spillfree oil changes. You can also find them at www.oildrainvalve.net and a lot of guys like the interchangeable hose ends (in either straight or 90 deg.) No more mess or burned hands!

golfmedik 08-15-2014 08:13 PM

For the '13s, Ford went back to a steel oil pan and a standard bolt for the drain bolt. I still got it everywhere even after reading some of you guy's comments about how far back the oil shoots out after removing the plug. Next time, I'll move it back farther...maybe not..now considering a Fumoto Valve or an EZ Drain!!

fordyce33 08-22-2014 12:52 AM

Yeah you should definitely think about considering the EZ Oil Drain Valves. Here's a nice video that will help out.

senix 08-22-2014 04:59 AM

I think I will order one of those ez drains myself.

jonrjen 08-22-2014 07:18 AM

Looks like on the EZ valve you purchase and screw the tube hose extension on as an option, with the Fumto valve you order the valve with or without it as it is part of the casting of the body at point of manufacture.

Other than that the two valves look and function alike.

senix 08-22-2014 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by fordyce33 (Post 14586072)
For cleaner oil changes, check out the EZ Oil Drain Valves @ EZOILDRAIN.COM where they have drain valves where you can screw in optional hose connectors for spillfree oil changes. You can also find them at Welcome to OilDrainValve.net, authorize online dealer of EZ Oil Drain Valve. and a lot of guys like the interchangeable hose ends (in either straight or 90 deg.) No more mess or burned hands!

Just went to your website. It appears that you don't make one for the 6.7 yet?

fordyce33 08-23-2014 12:46 AM

They do have EZ Oil Drain Valves for the 6.7 L. Only in 2010-11 Ford came out with a quarter turn yellow plastic drain plug. It was very unpopular and now they have reverted back to the standard drain plug. So 2012 and on, Ford 6.7 L should have a 14mm-1.5 drain plug, which would be drain valve part # EZ-106. They should be available on the Sizes & Applications section of the website too. Thanks for pointing it out though.