Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Springs, shocks, Exhaust oooh my (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1329097-springs-shocks-exhaust-oooh-my.html)

jonesa49f1 08-05-2014 07:24 PM

Springs, shocks, Exhaust oooh my

I have been working on my truck and have gotten pretty far but I have hit some speed bumps. I need some reviews and some questions answered. I will give you guys a list and if you could please tell me if you have ever dealt with this and how to fix it.

1. I have been looking for a new exhaust manifold I would use my stock ones but one was cracked and I got a replacement but when I took it off the guys motor I broke an ear off of it my dad has told me that you guys have had discussions about Reds headers for a 49 flat head V8. I have been looking at them but do not want to drop that big of a chunk of change on them right now. So I was wondering if anybody else has ever used any other brand or knows how I can fix mine.

2. My rear springs are all cracked except for the top two springs on both sides. I talked to my neighbor and he said that you could find a truck that had the same width springs and use my top spring and use the springs from the downer truck to make a good set. Can this be done and if so what Year and make truck can I get the springs out of?

3. I have been looking for shocks for my truck for the front and the rear I know that Rock Auto used to have them listed but now they do not. I know they used the same shocks for a newer vehicle but do not know what the year and make of that vehicle are.

Thanks for reading and hope to get some good info. I have asked my dad about theses things but would just like to get some more opinions from other people.

ALBUQ F-1 08-05-2014 08:13 PM

Jeeps are about the only thing I know of with 2"-wide springs. I doubt your main leaves are much longer for this world if all the others have cracked. The mains are absolutely critical to be in good shape. I'm sure you can find good used F-1 springs, just a question of when and how far away, and how much better shape? Have you checked with local shops on having a new set made? Do you want to stay stock, or lowered?

Very likely you'll have to replace the pins and bushings, too. Have you pulled the springs off yet?

Check the specs on these shock p/n's, for types of ends and lengths:
Gabriel Ultra's Part# G63405 Front and G63299 in the rear.

jonesa49f1 08-05-2014 08:21 PM

I have not pulled the old springs off and I have been just looking around for ones to make a good set.

51PanelMan 08-05-2014 09:00 PM

Check on Bob Drake's website for their economy headers. I bought a pair on sale for $100. Haven't installed them yet.

ChuckRob 08-05-2014 11:12 PM

To bad that your not closer, I have a nice set of stock rear springs that I would make you a great deal on but they are just to heavy to ship reasonably.

I am using the Gabriel Ultra's that ALBUQ F-1 recommended, really like them and would buy again.

ALBUQ F-1 08-05-2014 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChuckRob (Post 14561313)

I am using the Gabriel Ultra's that ALBUQ F-1 recommended, really like them and would buy again.

Is your truck lowered? I couldn't remember if those were the part numbers for stock length or lowered. They may cover both, if not lowered excessively.

ChuckRob 08-05-2014 11:22 PM

I have stock springs in the front and Posie Superslides in the rear. The rear shocks worked for both springs.

jonesa49f1 08-06-2014 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ChuckRob (Post 14561313)
To bad that your not closer, I have a nice set of stock rear springs that I would make you a great deal on but they are just to heavy to ship reasonably.

Where do you live I have some friends that drive all over for work please pm me your info