Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   V/b spring confusion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1329031-v-b-spring-confusion.html)

RobRoss 08-09-2014 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Curjo (Post 14569226)
So there would be no way to modify them then? The guy has everything else that I need and it's kinda a package deal. I'll trust you guys if you think I should call it off though. I was supposed to make the deal tomorrow after work.

There's plenty to work with there, it's possible someone modified the pack to what you see now. It's up to you, this project may be more trial and error since we don't know what it is but it's really up to you. For sure the overload spring needs to come off and then another leaf or two Depending on what you're trying to get to (height wise) and if you want to run blocks or not.

Pitcrw6 08-09-2014 08:27 AM

Those springs look like C code. If you don't want them then I'll take them..

RobRoss 08-09-2014 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6 (Post 14569791)
Those springs look like C code. If you don't want them then I'll take them..

I don't think those are C codes. C, S, V codes all have a helper at the bottom, Excursion is the only one that doesn't. It's possible it is/was a super duty spring pack with the lower aux removed. Hard to say what it really is at this time...

Pitcrw6 08-09-2014 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by RobRoss (Post 14569853)
I don't think those are C codes. C, S, V codes all have a helper at the bottom, Excursion is the only one that doesn't. It's possible it is/was a super duty spring pack with the lower aux removed. Hard to say what it really is at this time...

V codes are a front spring and never seen them with a helper spring from the factory. Did you mean B code?

Curjo 08-09-2014 11:49 AM

I'm gonna make them work somehow. Probably take out a leaf or two and definitely the one off the top.

Pitcrw6 08-09-2014 02:03 PM

I just looked at my OEM B code springs on my 02 SRW F350 and I have 4 leafs, 1 helper and 1 overload spring. Mine have never been removed from my truck. In the pics on page 1 there are 10 leafs and 1 overload spring which is why I said those must be C codes that where on a DRW F350 or higher.

RobRoss 08-09-2014 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6 (Post 14569998)
V codes are a front spring and never seen them with a helper spring from the factory. Did you mean B code?

Yes, sorry, I did mean B code. Thanks for catching it!

Curjo 08-10-2014 02:20 PM

Anyone have an idea on the best way to modify the rears?

Curjo 08-11-2014 01:51 PM

So looks like I have f-450 springs from my Internet research. They were the only springs that I could find that had 11 leaves in the pack. Must have been an option for heavy duty towing on a f350. Should I try these as is or take a few leaves out? Also if I leave as is should I add a 2" shackle to the fronts? And last but not least, did you change out the bushings in the springs when you swapped them?

Pitcrw6 08-11-2014 07:14 PM

If you want a stiff ride then leave them as is. Otherwise you can take out a couple leafs and go from there. I would think you would have to add some shackles to the front if you left the rears alone.

Curjo 08-21-2014 08:45 PM

I've looked all over for a rear sway bar install write up but I can't find one. Pretty sure I'm going to try and tackle everything this weekend and am pretty confident about the spring swap but not sure about the sway bar install since I'm not replacing one, I'm adding it.

holeshotwalt 08-22-2014 12:25 PM

sway bar install

If you just set the bar over the driveshaft/ differential, you'll see where the 'U' brackets go in the grooves that are cast into the diff housing. Then the end rods (that go up to the frame) will land near the holes in the frame to bolt to. Easiest install ever!

holeshotwalt 08-22-2014 08:02 PM

I just remembered- the passenger side rear shock mount has a plate on the front side that needs to be trimmed down so the sway bar will clear. You'll see when you have things sitting there. Good Luck!