Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   1985 F150 302 holley problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1327902-1985-f150-302-holley-problems.html)

Kyre Searcher 08-13-2014 05:06 PM

<iframe src="http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/Kyre_Searcher/embed/slideshow/" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

Kyre_Searcher's Library | Photobucket

If any other photo's are needed feel free to ask.

ArdWrknTrk 08-13-2014 06:07 PM

Your PCV ought to be going to the base flange in the back, if it is anything like my 08457s

Not that I think that is going to cause your stalling.

Don't you have the instructions?
The pdf is available on Holley's website.

Kyre Searcher 08-13-2014 06:14 PM

Update....

I took a few pics and posted them above, hope they help..

On another note, I decided to try something that I was certain could not be the problem as I thought for sure I had it set, but the secondary's we cracked open just a bit b4, so i too kthe carb off and on the bottom turned the screw to close the secondary's off.

Guess that didnt work, I used an old clean cloth and stuffed it into the secondary barrels and closed off most if not all of the air flow to the secondary's, I started the truck and got the same high idle ( tho more manageable rpms) engine ran..

Choke began to open and the idle slowed down to almost normal and kept steady...the idle got smooth and stayed that way. I checked the temp and it warmed up to running temp about 188 190 f.

Looking around I noticed blue exhaust from tail pipe, I shifted into gear, engine seemed to still run smooth in rev, and drive.

I toook a video and it is uploading now, hope this will help solve this mystery. Thanks again for all your time guys.

Kyre Searcher 08-13-2014 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14580919)
Your PCV ought to be going to the base flange in the back, if it is anything like my 08457s

Not that I think that is going to cause your stalling.

Don't you have the instructions?
The pdf is available on Holley's website.

Yes the pcv goes into the carb near the base. :)

ArdWrknTrk 08-13-2014 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kyre Searcher (Post 14580933)
Yes the pcv goes into the carb near the base. :)

I guess I was mistaken looking at your slideshow on my phone.
Sorry

This seems to be an issue with these Holley carbs..
Instructions for mine say secondaries 3/4 turn from closed.
That may be okay for a drag car w/ no vacuum, but not a truck with 20"

Kyre Searcher 08-13-2014 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 14580941)
I guess I was mistaken looking at your slideshow on my phone.
Sorry

This seems to be an issue with these Holley carbs..
Instructions for mine say secondaries 3/4 turn from closed.
That may be okay for a drag car w/ no vacuum, but not a truck with 20"

Dont be sorry buddy, I really appreciate any and all info and help. :)

Instructions with my holley also said to turn the secondary all the way in, and 3/4 turn back out.

Patrick Omally 08-13-2014 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kyre Searcher (Post 14580929)
Choke began to open and the idle slowed down to almost normal and kept steady...the idle got smooth and stayed that way. I checked the temp and it warmed up to running temp about 188 190 f.

Looking around I noticed blue exhaust from tail pipe, I shifted into gear, engine seemed to still run smooth in rev, and drive.

I toook a video and it is uploading now, hope this will help solve this mystery. Thanks again for all your time guys.

extremely happy to read this.. no small part because the cloth idea worked lol

a wait video to see it purring

Sw1tchfoot 08-13-2014 07:07 PM

If you want to stop guessing on the setting for the secondaries, they are supposed to expose a small portion of the idle slot..

http://c564296.r96.cf2.rackcdn.com/A...h08-1011ae.jpg

Kyre Searcher 08-13-2014 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Omally (Post 14581010)
extremely happy to read this.. no small part because the cloth idea worked lol

a wait video to see it purring

ok here is the video, sorry the audio is really crappy for some reason, I used my wifes 700.00 video camera for this video, and its crappier than the 50 dollar cell phone video i used in the last video..

another update, after shutting the engine off and restarting it, i no longer see blue smoke from the exhaust.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QvyN9OAUjKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Patrick Omally 08-13-2014 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kyre Searcher (Post 14581082)
ok here is the video, sorry the audio is really crappy for some reason, I used my wifes 700.00 video camera for this video, and its crappier than the 50 dollar cell phone video i used in the last video..

another update, after shutting the engine off and restarting it, i no longer see blue smoke from the exhaust.

Looks good at it runs normally now. I think this is mission accomplished right? If you can completely close the secondaries at idle/part throttle then engine should be good to go right? I don't know much about secondaries but i am sure it is possible.

The video looks good, sounds not so good. Truck looks nice and I am happy no more blue exhaust( maybe it was caused by having to run with choke for too long).

Kyre Searcher 08-13-2014 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Patrick Omally (Post 14581281)
Looks good at it runs normally now. I think this is mission accomplished right? If you can completely close the secondaries at idle/part throttle then engine should be good to go right? I don't know much about secondaries but i am sure it is possible.

The video looks good, sounds not so good. Truck looks nice and I am happy no more blue exhaust( maybe it was caused by having to run with choke for too long).

yes, I thought i had closed the secondary's off completely, but guess i was wrong. When i get off work tomorrow I am going to pull the carb and lock down the secondary's and try this again. I will update afterwards and till then I thanks you all for your time and info. :)

Gary Lewis 08-13-2014 08:29 PM

Perseverance pays off. Glad you got it going. But don't miss Sw1tchfoot's post about the transfer slot. It is important to get it set right or the engine may stumble when the secondaries open.

Kyre Searcher 08-13-2014 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14581387)
Perseverance pays off. Glad you got it going. But don't miss Sw1tchfoot's post about the transfer slot. It is important to get it set right or the engine may stumble when the secondaries open.

most certainly will, I do plan to update for sure tomorrow but I also want to say a huge thanks for putting up with my insanity in this forum. You have all been very informative and very generous with your time. :)

Gary Lewis 08-13-2014 08:53 PM

Problems like this one sometimes cause problems as lots of us jump in and the person with the problem gets whiplash with all the ideas flying around. So it takes concentration or attention to detail to keep up with all the ideas and sort through them to follow one line of thinking. Just a word to the wise on future threads. Don't let us confuse you. Take things at your own pace and ask for clarification if you don't understand.

Kyre Searcher 08-13-2014 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Lewis (Post 14581488)
Problems like this one sometimes cause problems as lots of us jump in and the person with the problem gets whiplash with all the ideas flying around. So it takes concentration or attention to detail to keep up with all the ideas and sort through them to follow one line of thinking. Just a word to the wise on future threads. Don't let us confuse you. Take things at your own pace and ask for clarification if you don't understand.

Thanks, yeah it was a lot of information to take in all at once, and I was trying not to aggravate anyone with stupid questions. I can replace most any part on my truck, but this time I could not diagnose the problem to fix it.