Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum55/)
-   -   Stuck Distributor in a 351w (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1327267-stuck-distributor-in-a-351w.html)

Shadow944795 07-25-2014 10:03 PM

Stuck Distributor in a 351w

Got a fun one, bought a 351w for 600 bucks and tore it down partway, now the guy I bought it off of said it was stuck but I didn't think he meant so ****ing stuck that not even a 3 foot long pipe wrench could turn it stuck, I've broke off the cap trying to get it off and nothing me and dad have done thus far such as beating it with a hammer at various points to try and shock it free or various wrenches and letting it sit with lube in it for a week has done any good. I'm gonna hit it hard sometime tomorrow to try and get it out but I want some extra ideas so I'm not totally flying blind on it. Any and all help and advice as welcome. Thanks in advance, Shadow.

Tedster9 07-25-2014 10:06 PM

I'd be inclined to (carefully!) try some heat from a torch, along with the required banging and foul language, that usually seems to work in such cases.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Shadow944795 07-25-2014 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tedster9 (Post 14534533)
I'd be inclined to (carefully!) try some heat from a torch, along with the required banging and foul language, that usually seems to work in such cases.

Would a small propane torch be okay? or should I just drag out the oxy/acetylene torch and do that number with it?

xlt4wd90 07-26-2014 05:09 AM

A small propane torch should do it, if it's going to do it. You want to heat it up, not melt it.

Can you look in from below to see if the base of the body is rusted to the block, or something like that?

Maybe you've done this already, but when I faced a similar situation, I got on top of the engine so I could pull straight up. The distributor popped right out, where as hours of prying and pulling before while standing beside the engine did nothing.

Tedster9 07-26-2014 05:23 PM

Any luck or busted knuckles?

Shadow944795 07-27-2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tedster9 (Post 14535825)
Any luck or busted knuckles?

Got busy and had an unexpected guest come in and take up most of my time Saturday and have been working all day today, when I get the chance to touch it I will inform you of how it goes. Wish me luck.

Island Time 07-27-2014 09:02 PM

I'm waiting to hear your results as I'm in the same situation. I've been letting it soak with Aerokroil. I hate the idea of a torch. I'm always afraid of setting something alight.

Tedster9 07-27-2014 10:23 PM

Never had this happen - (yet) what's the deal anyway, is it heavy corrosion? From dissimilar metals or something, pitting, swelling? On my 292 it popped right out. Assuming when they are stuck like that, no adjustment of timing is possible either?

FordFETruck 07-28-2014 11:50 PM

Never had that happen to me. Take the oil pan off, take the oil pump out and then run a long skinny rod up where the drive rod goes and give the end of the rod a hard wack with a big hammer.