Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Another tuner thread, but different. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1326778-another-tuner-thread-but-different.html)

sdetweil 07-23-2014 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by tex25025 (Post 14527891)
I'm not sure I'm understanding where you are coming from.

the image that you posted says you can remove the unit without impact.
except for three entries that all list 6.7liter engines.

was all I was saying.

tex25025 07-23-2014 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by sdetweil (Post 14527924)
the image that you posted says you can remove the unit without impact.

I didn't post an image, the only image that I'm aware of in this thread is for the MM only (which I didn't post), I'm talking about the Bully Dog device not the MM. I never heard of them, so I have to wonder if they are a relatively new device.

sdetweil 07-23-2014 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by tex25025 (Post 14527933)
I didn't post an image.

sorry, Andre posted

we were or I was talking about the ability to remove the tuner and keep the tune active. for the ones I KNEW about, you could without impact. Andre posted the image that confirmed what I KNEW.
was all

tex25025 07-23-2014 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by sdetweil (Post 14527936)
sorry, Andre posted

we were or I was talking about the ability to remove the tuner and keep the tune active. for the ones I KNEW about, you could without impact. Andre posted the image that confirmed what I KNEW.
was all

Apparently this seems to be a quirk of the MM tuner. I'm not to sure why that is. I can certainly see the pros and cons to it, but why only on that one vehicle. I didn't find any stipulation (doesn't mean that it wasn't there, I just didn't see it) in the online manuals for the Bullydog and Edge tuners that I believe were the equivalent to this one.

kper05 07-23-2014 09:54 AM

I don't have a tuner but I do have a GPS and the Edge Insight.
I leave these on the windshield at all times locally (remove them if I'm at a hotel or airport though).
Both of my devices are in direct sunlight at work all day.
The new Garmin Nuvi I have enters protect mode due to heat since it always has power but my old Nuvi would stay on 24/7 in heat or cold.

I've only had one GPS self destruct. It burst open and ripped out internal ribbon cables in 2008. Expensive but I chose not to change my behavior.

riden82 07-23-2014 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by kper05 (Post 14528082)
I don't have a tuner but I do have a GPS and the Edge Insight. I leave these on the windshield at all times locally (remove them if I'm at a hotel or airport though). Both of my devices are in direct sunlight at work all day. The new Garmin Nuvi I have enters protect mode due to heat since it always has power but my old Nuvi would stay on 24/7 in heat or cold. I've only had one GPS self destruct. It burst open and ripped out internal ribbon cables in 2008. Expensive but I chose not to change my behavior.

That is mainly what I am concerned about is having weather conditions doing damage to devices such as tuners, gps, monitoring systems, etc. It sounds like it's not really an issue since most guys have had them in the trucks 24/7/365 for years, and other than a handful of times mine has been in the truck for past 8 months now.

2ndStroke 07-23-2014 12:58 PM

I take mine out when I'm in the city, drives around fine, I believe you won't have your defuel setting though, so I doubt I would tow without it plugged in. Also, it hits minus friggin 40 up here often in the winter, no issues yet,...

Tofan 07-23-2014 09:18 PM

I took mine out after 3 weeks of having it in after I did the delete. I don't live in a bad area, but I am not going to risk somebody breaking my window and just taking the tuner. Not that they would be able to use it, It would just suck to have to go through that process. Nothing changes except for the power level. You are running the truck on "stock" power when you remove the Minimaxx. It will run for a couple of cycles on the last known power setting, but will revert to stock once the tuner is removed. I am not as much worried about temperature as I am somebody stealing it. Plus I don't need the power. I find that I am looking in the side view mirrors watching the smoke too much when I have it plugged in. Great question though. Reps sent brother!

riden82 07-24-2014 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by 2ndStroke (Post 14528514)
I take mine out when I'm in the city, drives around fine, I believe you won't have your defuel setting though, so I doubt I would tow without it plugged in. Also, it hits minus friggin 40 up here often in the winter, no issues yet,...

Originally Posted by Tofan (Post 14529633)
I took mine out after 3 weeks of having it in after I did the delete. I don't live in a bad area, but I am not going to risk somebody breaking my window and just taking the tuner. Not that they would be able to use it, It would just suck to have to go through that process. Nothing changes except for the power level. You are running the truck on "stock" power when you remove the Minimaxx. It will run for a couple of cycles on the last known power setting, but will revert to stock once the tuner is removed. I am not as much worried about temperature as I am somebody stealing it. Plus I don't need the power. I find that I am looking in the side view mirrors watching the smoke too much when I have it plugged in. Great question though. Reps sent brother!

do you half to reset all of your defuel levels when you have the tuner out for a while and hook it back up?

I was really just curious about what others were doing with their tuners in reguards to weather conditions but looks like no issues have surfaced as far as the MM not holding up in extremes. especially up there where Brett is living with the polor bears ha.

2ndStroke 07-24-2014 05:28 AM

I dunno about resetting, I'm just thinking without the tuner telling the truck to defuel, will you still have your set defueling for turbo psi, egts, etc?

lol at the bears, one might eat my mini, that should be my biggest fear:-roll

riden82 07-24-2014 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by 2ndStroke (Post 14530171)
I dunno about resetting, I'm just thinking without the tuner telling the truck to defuel, will you still have your set defueling for turbo psi, egts, etc? lol at the bears, one might eat my mini, that should be my biggest fear:-roll

Haha.

I was wondering about that, if you have it unplugged for a while if you half to go back in and put all the defuel levels back to the way they were before you unplugged it. I don't know cuz I have never driven it without the MM plugged in.

TRENT310 07-24-2014 08:34 AM

As far as I know there is no battery within the MM head unit... the reason why GPS and phones explode when left in the sunlight in a hot automobile interior is because these days typically they have a prismatic Li-Po battery pack in there.

I used to have a lower end Scangauge clone which had a STN monochrome 20x2 character display that would have funky contrast if it was left in the sun, the active matrix colour display on the Mini Maxx doesn't seem to suffer from that at all.

riden82 07-24-2014 09:07 AM

make sense about the battery.

i keep my MM hidden as much as possible, also keep it out of direct sun as well.

http://http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ps3tnnpqbh.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...psakimctew.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...psigh4q6lo.jpg

darren32 07-24-2014 09:10 AM

In over 3 and a half years mine has not moved.

The display starts to screw up at about -35C (-32F)

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3fb7dd72.jpg

riden82 07-24-2014 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by darren32 (Post 14530489)
In over 3 and a half years mine has not moved. The display starts to screw up at about -35C (-32F)

That is good to know, i don't think it will get that cold here in Virginia, coldest I have seen was this winter -8 due to the polar vortex from the north.