Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   1997 with P0236 Code Runs Rough No Power (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1326289-1997-with-p0236-code-runs-rough-no-power.html)

racenitro 07-20-2014 12:15 PM

1997 with P0236 Code Runs Rough No Power

1997 PSD that has about 500K miles on it. (I know that is a lot of miles) Just recently replaced the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor, Cam Position Sensor and Injector Pressure Sensor. Last Fall replaced the valve cover gaskets, glow plugs and installed new pig tails on all 4. Ran fine until two days ago.
Started it up and it would hardly idle, sounded like it was running on only about half the cylinders. Would gradually reve up and run a little smoother. Put it in gear and it has NO power. Will not run over 30 MPH. Showed service engine and the DTC reads P0236. After a while of trying to drive it it cleared up, the service engine light went off ant ran like it normally does. It will do the same thing each time I start it up. When I put the back pressure sensor on it, I also cleaned out the line from the manifold to the sensor and checked the manifold for blockage.
The truck has NEVER been chipped or altered in any way. Bone stock.
I use it to pull my 48' race car trailer.

Can't find a similar thread, seems this is usually related to altering the settings.
I do use a Hyper reader that can reprogram it but have not used the reprogram settings. I just use it to read the codes since nobody except the ford dealer has a reader.

Trying to coax this along until I get my replacement truck completed. Also, this engine has never been apart, only replaced injectors and pump as needed as well as sensors. Worst thing is that the truck is out running the wiring. This is also the same truck that has the speedo problem that I cannot find a fix for. Replaced the heads three times, axle sensor, cleaned the gear and replaced the wiring..still jumps like a jumping jack and shows an ABS code even though there is NO ABS brakes on the truck.
Have learned to Ignore it for the past 5 years. Now use a GPS for SPEED.

Thanks in Advance

Hussler 07-20-2014 02:27 PM

Can you do a buzz test? If so do the buzz test then scan for error codes. Suspect valve cover gaskets issues again and after the buzz test IDM will download any error codes stored to the PCM.

racenitro 07-20-2014 07:10 PM

Can't do buzz test. Did check all the valve cover gaskets....not the problem...Rechecked all the new pigtails.....all OK...no rotten connectors...or bare wires.

I think it is a turbo problem.
What should the pressure be at the map sensor?

Have another PSD..for parts and will swap the map to see it may be the fault.

racenitro 07-21-2014 09:01 AM

No pressure from Map sensor hose. The turbo turns and has suction but no pressure reading at map sensor input port.

What is the best way to remove the turbo...looks like it is a hard job to remove it.....

How hard should it be to move the rod that controls the exhaust flow?

Mine appears to be frozen...maybe this is my problem...

racenitro 07-21-2014 08:25 PM

Guess it is time to junk the PSD. Next engine will be a cummins.....loved the PSD but hate the fact that it is so computer dependent....

Building a F350 chassied truck with a cummins and 54 ford cab....
Using a 5.9L mechanical engine.....

I can't see how to remove the turbo even on a partially disambeled F-350....
The two lower exhaust manifold bolts and the two rear pedestal bolts seem impossible to get to.

Would love to know the secret
Even then, the bolts on the PSD are so tight they will not come out and I fear breaking them off so it is junking time.

The exhaust control butterfly is free so there is some other reason for NO boost. Also put in a different MAP and that did nothing.

Unhooked the exhaust to see if that may be the problem....NOT...
Temporarily replacing it with a F800 cab/chassis...after taking off the dump bed...I can get it down to less than 10,000 so I can swap my license plates and not loose a ton of cash.

BBslider001 07-21-2014 08:30 PM

I hear you on the PSD. Truth be told, I have had all three diesels and really like that the Cummins is so simple. I would encourage you not to give up but I don't blame you. I have almost given up a few times. I have mine dialed in but it took a while. Every issue I've had with the exception of the fuel pump has been computer-related. Very frustrating I completely agree.

racenitro 07-22-2014 01:15 PM

Checked all of the wiring...GOOD...Have 5.0 volts between pin 1 and pin 3

racenitro 07-22-2014 02:25 PM

FIXED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I changed the hoses on the Y tube from the turbo and replaced the O Ring....

The problem disappeared......

Runs like it used to.....

Did have a P0603 code but that was because I disconnected the PCM....It went away after 30 seconds.

Like to Old worn out 500000 plus mile PSD.....back under the 48 foot trailer.

IDMooseMan 07-22-2014 03:05 PM

Glad to hear you fixed the problem.

BBslider001 07-22-2014 04:18 PM

Wow, now I am going to do this. It all looks original to me anyway, so it couldn't hurt.

racenitro 07-23-2014 08:21 PM

Spoke too soon....
Ran great yesterday after it appeared to be fixed.
Back to the same problem this morning.

Towing it to my farm and that is where it will sit.
Took dump bed off the 1989 F800 and put on a 5th wheel hitch...
Reactivating the OLD piece of junk...
The 7.8L Turbo Diesel is one work horse. Actually gets getter fuel mileage than the 7.3L.
Kinda slow due to the low gearing..tops out at 59mph but will walk up the side of a mountain easily....
Will use to tow the race car trailer until I get my replacement built...
So long PSD...hello Cummins!

IDMooseMan 07-23-2014 09:13 PM

Sorry to hear that. There are a few a folks that have swapped to a Cummins. Would you like the URL to that club? Send a PM to me and I'll send you the link. I don't want to have a "conflict of interest" issue. I have the same username over there that I use here.

DIYMechanic 07-24-2014 06:00 AM

I don't think the PO236 code you're getting and the problem you're having are related at all. The turbo won't build boost until somewhere around 2,000 RPMs anyway so you won't see pressure on the MAP hose until then. I don't think it is the turbo either. Honestly unless the turbo was seized completely I don't see it causing you a single issue at idle.

Check the IDM for water. Take out the three bolts that hold it to the inside of the driver side fender, pull the bolt that holds the wiring connector to the front of it, take it out and give it a shake. Does it feel like it has water in it?

I'm with you on your computer related frustrations with the PSD, believe me but it has given you almost 500k miles. Don't write it off just yet.

racenitro 07-24-2014 07:43 AM

Not swapping in a cummins.so don't need the site but thanks..Building a truck from scratch....using 1997 F350 extended cab 2wd frame. 5.9l cummins from 1991 Dodge only has 127,000 and runs like a top.....having the automatic rebuilt for towing since I could not find a getrag 5spd......(reasonable).....dually with 4.10 gears (Completely rebuilt)....building my own spring packs for rear and an aluminum towing bed...cab will be 53-56 ford unless I can find a 53-55 COE.
Nearly together except for cab.
I knew the old PSD was on extended time since it is well past 500K....
I want a mechanical truck that won't strand me because the wiring connectors have disintegrated while driving like the psd has done twice.
The PSD has outlasted the wiring!

I tow a 48' Haulmark race car trailer 75% of the time and a 22' tilt bed equipment trailer the rest of the time. Don't use it for anything else very much. Stays hooked to 48' with dragster and T bucket inside.

MOOSE_MACHINE 07-24-2014 07:57 AM

I like your choice in cabs. I'd like to do something similar but keep it all international. Money and time though