Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   What fuel???? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1326275-what-fuel.html)

bobkonaben 07-20-2014 11:14 AM

What fuel????

I purchased a 2003 250 crew 7.3 diesel . What fuel is best for my truck?? It is in perfect condition and I want to keep it that way. Some Gas Stations have Bio=Fuel, others have 2d-s15. What is the right fuel for my truck? Thanks as usual. Bob

aawlberninf350 07-20-2014 01:17 PM

Clean fresh diesel IMHO. Fill up at busy places, not the lonely pump with 5 month old fuel in the tank. Do not fill when the tanker is making a delivery, that stirs up the crap from the bottom of the storage tank. Many people use a fuel additive like Power Service since current ULSD fuels do not provide the lubricity of fuels made at the time that the 7.3 was designed.

I do not have experience with bio fuels, but many people run bio successfully. I'm sure they will chime in.

Congrats on the new-to-you truck!

greg_8507 07-20-2014 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 (Post 14521233)
Clean fresh diesel Do not fill when the tanker is making a delivery, that stirs up the crap from the bottom of the storage tank.

I did that once. I ended up pumping more foam than fuel. But of course I paid for the foam as if it were fuel.

I've seen many youtube videos and posts in other forums were people will run WVO mixed with some magic additive that converts the waste oil to "bio diesel." The problem is the various acids left in the oil from whatever was fried in the oil will wreak havoc on your injectors.

nlemerise 07-20-2014 06:10 PM

Nothing wrong with running biodiesel...that is fuel produced by reputable refineries. I would drop the fuel tank and clean it out while doing the Hutch and Harpoon mods. I'd add a pre-pump spin-on cartridge fuel filter too. Any D2 from a reputable station with heavy traffic is good.

A/Ox4 07-20-2014 06:56 PM

Standard diesel is diesel #2. You will rarely see #1 these days. More common of you live in cold climates. Also in cold climates you will notice a sharp uptick in price and decrease in economy in the winter months. This is because they add winter additives to prevent gelling. Realistically these are weak additives and you should consider your own winter additives and keep a bottle of diesel kleen 911 handy.

If you don't live in the cold, don't worry about all of that!

Biodiesel is great. Its renewable and clean. This means you get to rub it in the nose of every Prius driver filling up with gasoline. Don't forget to bother them about their toxic rare earth metal batteries.

There are all kinds of bio fuels. The ones you find sold commercially are usually lipid based (from animals) or soy bases. But you can also make it at home from used cooking oil. Also, while not technically bio diesel, waste motor oil and waste vegetable oil are common alternative fuels.

At the pump you might see B20. This means the fuel is 20% biodiesel. Most states require a percentage to be biodiesel, usually 5-10%.

Biodiesel provides more lubricant than Diesel and also acts as a natural solvent keeping everything nice and clean. If you ever use biodiesel keep an eye on your fuel filter as it may clog prematurely due to all the gunk the fuel is bringing up. Biodiesel also has a higher pour point, which means it will thicken and gel at warmer temperatures than diesel. If you use biodiesel and anticipate a cold climate, carry Diesel Kleen 911 with you.

There are all sorts of fuel options if you get crazy. Even more fuel additives. There have been studies on which were the best and which actually made things worse. Many people uses Diesel Kleen from power service. I use that or Stanadyne on almost every fill up.

Welcome to the brotherhood and enjoy your new truck!

FiznUKa 07-20-2014 08:22 PM

Is there any concern about running B100 or would you rather run a B20 or B50. Kind of new to the "bio-diesel" there aren't very many stations around my area that have it on tap because of the temps in the winter do to gelling. Just wanting to try it out and see if there is any benefit to running it.

greg_8507 07-20-2014 08:44 PM

I wasn't bashing legitimate Bio Diesel. Just the stuff that is straight waste cooking oil, mixed with some miracle solvent that will make your truck run off of the oil with out pre-heating the oil first. Even when filtered, unprocessed waste cooking oil has stuff in it that is bad for your injectors.

A/Ox4 07-21-2014 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by FiznUKa (Post 14522033)
Is there any concern about running B100 or would you rather run a B20 or B50. Kind of new to the "bio-diesel" there aren't very many stations around my area that have it on tap because of the temps in the winter do to gelling. Just wanting to try it out and see if there is any benefit to running it.

With our trucks there's no problem running B100. Newer trucks don't like it as much.

ebbnflow 07-21-2014 11:08 AM

X2 on B100. I put about 75k on my truck running B100 home brew. These trucks love it and it makes your tail pipe smell delicious.

2002fordf350 07-26-2014 07:28 PM

what is fuel?

i have some news for you guys about fuel.
bio or regular and diesel 911 ect/
try xp3 you can buy it on ebay and watch the youtube video.
i drive 18 wheelers my buddy gelled up on a cold day and 911 failed!!!
what did work was a bottle of isopropyl alchohal it worked in one minute. compared to the four bottles of 911 that failed.
good luck.

waste oil is good.
bio is good.
using the pump is bad.