Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Oil leak please help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1326166-oil-leak-please-help.html)

Powerstoke73 07-19-2014 06:16 PM

Oil leak please help

I have an oil leak that is driving me crazy i have a 99 f350 dually 7.3 and the bottom of the truck is cover in oil the oil pan the trans pan and the under carriage looks to be oil but the dip stick is still full i looked in the valley but i couldnt see anything near the hpop but there is some kind of line under the pedestal and it looked like it was wet (oil) and while i was back there i saw a line unplugged that was very close to where the fuel filter goes into its a two prong plug with like a metal clip on it i have no idea where or what it goes to and why it is unplugged

Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance

jps47 07-19-2014 06:34 PM

metal clip may be ebpv exhaust back pressure valve. Leak might start at Lpop than hits the fan thats just a guess and thats on the front of the motor.

Bonanza35 07-19-2014 06:36 PM

Wash it down and look close at the HPOP lines that run to the heads. One mitt be leaking. Sure sounds like it if you have that much oil.

Pikachu 07-19-2014 06:47 PM

This line under the pedestal, is it on the passenger side and does it happen to go to the fuel filter housing? Is there a metal clip on it bolted to the head? That is a known spot for vibration causing the clip to eat through the fuel line.

Powerstoke73 07-19-2014 07:57 PM

Ok the line is more to the passenger side thats underneath pedestal what is the ebpv and someone told me that it could be a fuel heater i dont know my main concern right not is the oil leak ok so i just looked down into the valley and its bone dry until you get to the back of the motor then i cannot see because the turbo and pedestal are in the way should i try and tighten anything down or should i get the o rings for pedestal and turbo also the valve cover look like they are leaking but im not getting any kind of burnt oil smell or anything smoking under the hood where is the lpoh located

Powerstoke73 07-19-2014 08:01 PM

The line under the pedestal looks like it could be a fuel line ???

Powerstoke73 07-19-2014 08:03 PM

Thank you guys by the way for the quick response and the suggestions i really appreciate it

aawlberninf350 07-19-2014 11:22 PM

Low pressure oil pump (LPOP) is mounted on the crank snout.

Passenger fuel line worn thru sounds likely right now since it is the right location. By the sound of it I think you could prolly see it leaking while the motor is running. Check out the Failure Prevention Thread for some pics. It may look like oil leak since it is washing the grunge off the top of the motor.

Could also be the EBPV solenoid in the pedestal leaking oil. That's under the turbo so look around with a mirror. Click on this post for a pic of a leaky one.

If the wire connects to the bottom of the fuel bowl it is the fuel heater, and you should leave that unplugged unless you live somewhere really cold.

Good luck!

Ravenwood 07-20-2014 12:25 AM

Ravenwood

I have a 96 with a 7.3, had the same problem mine was where the dip stick goes into the pan, there is a large nut that holds the dip stick housing to the pan, dumb design, any way tightened the large nut oil leak stopped, have had to retighten several times. hope this helps.

Powerstoke73 07-20-2014 09:14 AM

So if it is the EBVP does that just need to be replaced and does the turbo have to come out to do this and the fuel line if its that should i replaced the whole line i am about to take apart most of the stuff in my way right now to see if i can get my hand on something back there wet and try to smell it to see what it might be does the bolts on the pedestal or turbo need to be tightened down a little or should i leave them alone

Its not the big nut that holds the dipstick in place i have checked it a million times after wiping down the oil pan

Believe it or not the oil starts forming a drip off of the drain plug that connected to the oil pan so for the longest damn time i thought it was the washer gone bad behind the oil plug but my starter is a little wet and its actually leaking down in between the motor and trans

Pikachu 07-20-2014 10:26 AM

If it is the fuel line, there should be fuel in the valley. If it's the exhaust backpressure actuator, the turbocharger and pedestal have to come out. There's a rebuild kit for the actuator available through a couple of the site sponsors. There's also another possibility: there are high pressure oil rail end plugs at the front and back of each head. Hopefully it isn't one of those because they aren't exactly easy to get to. Before you go pulling too much stuff off the engine, it might save you some time to get an inspection mirror and flashlight and see if you can get a better idea of where to concentrate your effort.

aawlberninf350 07-20-2014 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenwood (Post 14520360)
I have a 96 with a 7.3, had the same problem mine was where the dip stick goes into the pan, there is a large nut that holds the dip stick housing to the pan, dumb design, any way tightened the large nut oil leak stopped, have had to retighten several times. hope this helps.

Don't over tighten that nut. If it strips out the interior part can fall off inside the pan. Good luck getting that out. Check out this thread.

FordTruckNoob 07-20-2014 06:59 PM

Check your oil pan seal also. I had a leak in the seal right behind the crankshaft pulley and it covered the entire underside of the engine and transmission in oil just like yours.

Powerstoke73 07-20-2014 07:43 PM

Ok so it not fuel i got my hands back there and took a big wiff of it doesn't its defin oil under the pedestal is dry under the turbo is dry and the Valley is clean all the way back even behind the turbo is it possible it could be the rear main seal or do i need to clean everything up back there let it dry really well and go back to it and if there is 1 specific place the oil is coming from btw is there anything past the valley on the passenger side of the engine that would leak down to where the oil pan trans pan are located ???

Im doing the best i can to find this oil leak
Thanks for all help

scotttahoe 07-20-2014 09:33 PM

Rear main seals are very rear to go out for these trucks.