Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   5.4 Triton issues multi issues. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1326083-5-4-triton-issues-multi-issues.html)

f350hammer 07-19-2014 08:39 AM

5.4 Triton issues multi issues.

Hello and thanks for your time.
Iv had a thread open for sometime about this excursion and all the problems iv had with it. They guys over in the excursion sections wear really helpful but there wear not alote of guys chiming in (Seem really limited area)
So I hoping for some more answers in the general area.
First off I know about 90% of the issues area more then likely related to setting and not running for a year or so. This rest is probably PO lack of care and maintenance.

I think from the get go there wear multi problems- one on top of the other.

Iv have a 2000 ford excursion xlt with the 5.4 Triton with around 215k.

I just dropped over 1500k into this truck. But that is ok I got it for a steal.

Here is the deal.

The truck has set for sometime. 2 plus years.
When I first started the truck - it ran really rough. After a tune up it did get alote better but still had a slight roughness when reving the engine. -This was also present before the tune up.
I recently started doing repairs to the truck to get it road ready again.
Here is a list of things i have changed.
New brake system. Master Cylinder and calipers - break pads.
Plugs - and boot.
Intake manifold gasket.
Air idle control.
Oil change.
Fuel filter.
New Fuel pump.

When I first got the truck - This is what it did -
After going around the block - The truck would not wanna run or accl - it popped and kicked and bucked if you tryed to speed up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6M_...ature=youtu.be
At this point I changed the fuel pump and socks - Cleaned the tank and all the connections.
After the work listed above (mainly fuel pump) this issue has gotten better.

Now Im chasing anther problem.
I still have no codes- Code reader does not see pending codes or current codes

The truck still has lack of power and a hesitation when you rev it.
Cold stats seem to be when the problem is worst.
When you rev and then let off the throttle the rpm needle hangs up around 1200rpms and then slow idles back down. Just like in this guys video.

The guy in this video claims the issue is related to the plastic intake having a crack in it. (Vacuum leak). After hearing what his issue wear and doing some more reading I get the feeling I may have the same issue???
***I know the aluminum crossovers leak with age*** but I did not know they crack and cause vacuum leaks---- Can anyone confirm this?
Mine does seep water @ the crossover but not enf for the price to be justified right now.

Also I when I did the tune up - I had water in the spark plug wells (passenger side 2nd from last) From what Iv read this is common and leads to the death of the COPs.

So Im guessing I need to replace the COPS - Iv found some new but cheap ones on ebay -Im gonna buy 3 or 4 and try swapping them out. (I dont think this is the only problem) The truck has a huge lack of power.

Any ideas?

JWA 07-19-2014 08:56 AM

Your issues are 5.4 engine related, more so than the Excursion body/chassis---I'd post your problems in that forum. Should be lots of input from those who assemble there.

Try this link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/

f350hammer 07-19-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 14518707)
Your issues are 5.4 engine related, more so than the Excursion body/chassis---I'd post your problems in that forum. Should be lots of input from those who assemble there.

Try this link: Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I just reread what your saying - Thanks I will try that. Misunderstood.

f350hammer 07-19-2014 09:12 AM

I just tried unplugging the cops one at a time with the engine idle -#4 seemed to have little effect on how it idle - I did not notice any change.

From what I understand - when the spark plug wells get water in them- it kills the cops. I had water in one of the wells on the passenger side I believe#4 or#3

tjc transport 07-19-2014 03:46 PM

when i get water in the plug wells, i just change the wire "boots" under the coil and blow out the well. . 99.99% of the time that fixes the misfire.

and if the vehicle has been sitting for 2 years, it may have fouled injectors and a dirty fuel rail.
my 2000 sat for 4 years and took close to a month of driving every day to get the fuel system cleaned out.

f350hammer 07-20-2014 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by tjc transport (Post 14519343)
when i get water in the plug wells, i just change the wire "boots" under the coil and blow out the well. . 99.99% of the time that fixes the misfire.

and if the vehicle has been sitting for 2 years, it may have fouled injectors and a dirty fuel rail.
my 2000 sat for 4 years and took close to a month of driving every day to get the fuel system cleaned out.

Yep gotta agree with you on the COPs and boot because thats what I tried to do. However The misfire is better but is still there and if I pull the connector with it running there is no change in idle. If I pull any of the others *One at a time* The idle changes.

Ill do a update in the morning. I worked on it all day and maybe fixed the issue.
Can you tell me what all can cause water to get into the wells????
I read a post some wear that said the head/wells cracked and water got in that way.

Thanks!

tjc transport 07-20-2014 06:11 AM

no idea. on my crown vics i have to pull the passenger side rear coil and blow it out once a year.
never bothered looking at what is leaking because it is such a slow leak. the 99 my father drove had 145,000 when i sold it, my P71 only has 72,000 on it. i have been doing this for around 11 years now.

tseekins 07-22-2014 05:43 AM

It would be a good idea to check all the COP's and injectors and check for cracked or chaffed wires. These wires are very thin and could cause a slight short that mimics a misfire.

This happened on my '88, a thin injector wire was cracked. Some black tape and back in business.