Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Replacing turbo, what do you recommend? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/132556-replacing-turbo-what-do-you-recommend.html)

Thumper4995 07-10-2003 11:58 AM

Replacing turbo, what do you recommend?

Alright guys, I want to replace my turbo (you can look at my tech photo to see why). I would like to know what you guys recommend. Here are some options that I have come up with so far from a previous recommendation:

stock
Hypermax H2E
ATS/Garret
Van Turbo
Big Woof or something like that

I am always looking to save a buck but I don't want to get a piece of junk. The truck has 40K miles and I don't do a lot of heavy towing but usually tow about 10K lbs behind me and up a lot of steep grades (I hate slowing down for hills). What would you guys get? Would I have to get the modified intake/exhaust with the aftermarket outfits? Also, I live in Boise, Idaho so if you know of anyone that does good work, let me know. Thanks in advance for any input. :-tap

KING 07-10-2003 11:19 PM

BANKS also makes turbos.

xanthias 07-11-2003 02:11 PM

Get the ATS Ball-bearing. Expensive, but gets rave reviews from everyone who does it. If you want to get me one while you're at it, feel free.

:)

Thumper4995 07-11-2003 03:30 PM

Originally posted by xanthias
Get the ATS Ball-bearing. Expensive, but gets rave reviews from everyone who does it. If you want to get me one while you're at it, feel free.

:)

You wouldn't by chance have any contact info for them would ya?
BTW, how expensive?}>

cookie88 07-12-2003 01:49 AM

Quite expensive (around 2 large).

The H2 is another excellent choice, but is even more expensive the the ball-bearing, and is way too much turbo for a stock truck.

The van turbo is a very good selection as a stock replacement, but requires a special adapter to fit an F-series. .

Bully Dog's Big Woof is little more than a reworked stocker, unless cost is a major issue I wouldn't bother.

KING: Banks does not make turbo's for PSD's, they make upgrade components for the stock turbo.

oppy 07-12-2003 08:45 AM

Isn't it still under warranty? It would be hard to beat a hundred bucks for cost-effectiveness. :-X04

GR8Diesel 07-12-2003 09:42 AM

I too like to save a buck...

When I had to replace my turbo, the dealer wanted 2K for the part, (this wasn't a Ford) and then labor to install.

What I did was to contact the manufacturer and ask for the service centers in the area. I lived in Washington State at the time and found a marine service center who not only stocked but sold me a factory reman unit for $400.00. When I called I asked if they had a replacement for Garett xxxxxx - I didn't mention the application. I installed it myself, and it worked wonderfully.

Just a thought...

Thumper4995 07-12-2003 04:52 PM

The truck is still under warranty but Ford will not cover the damaged turbo because there was a busted tab on the air box lid. I didn't realize the after market turbos were so much. I think I will go for a stock replacement. A remanufactured one would be even better (as long as it is dependable).

KING 07-12-2003 05:33 PM

Originally posted by cookie88

KING: Banks does not make turbo's for PSD's, they make upgrade components for the stock turbo.

Thanks for clearing that up.

cookie88 07-13-2003 01:21 AM

Just for the record, my original post was edited by someone other than myself.

I orginally posted links to the two companies that sell ball-bearing turbos. Motorhaven is not one of them (that I am aware of), and that is not my link.

oppy 07-13-2003 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Thumper4995
The truck is still under warranty but Ford will not cover the damaged turbo because there was a busted tab on the air box lid.
Really? So, because they have a crappy air box that breaks and doesn't seal very well even under ideal conditions, they're not gonna cover it? I think I'd yell and scream a bit more - have you tried to escalate to the Ford zone rep?

eiznekcm 07-13-2003 12:18 PM

The van turbo is a very good selection as a stock replacement, but requires a special adapter to fit an F-series. .
Cookie88,

What is the difference between the van turbo and an F-series turbo?
I am trying to put an early 99 p-stroke in a 90 model F-350 4x4.

Craig

Thumper4995 07-13-2003 12:54 PM

Originally posted by oppy
Really? So, because they have a crappy air box that breaks and doesn't seal very well even under ideal conditions, they're not gonna cover it? I think I'd yell and scream a bit more - have you tried to escalate to the Ford zone rep?
They gave me the 1-800 number for customer service and I went as high as they would let me. No deal. They even admitted that the air box was a bad design but Ford would not let them warranty it.

MrFeexit 07-13-2003 03:17 PM

I am sure I replaced the turbo with a new one from Banks....it had impellors and looked like a blender blade (kind of) isn't this the turbo? it even came with a new turbo housing.

http://www.bankspower.com/Component....T03&sysid=SF01

like this thing shows..is that the turbo?

oppy 07-13-2003 05:25 PM

Man, that's ridiculous! Did you talk to the local zone rep (not just the crappy 800 no-service clones)? I just can't believe they wouldn't honor the warranty, or at least offer to cover a portion of the cost. If it was my truck, I wouldn't stop calling until I reached William Clay himself :-X09

I would really seriously consider filing suit in small claims court - bet that would get someone's attention! :-X04