Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Awful transmission clunk from Park (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325040-awful-transmission-clunk-from-park.html)

WhëëlMå1 07-13-2014 06:30 AM

Awful transmission clunk from Park

... it clunks real bad at random times. Whether I have had the e-brake on or not (sometimes even with it on, so I have not put any load on the locking mechanism in the tranny).

Its a 2014... anyone else get this? Does not matter if its inclined ground or flat.

Sucks that it does this for the extreme amounts of money they charge. My 08 F350 V10 it replaces never once clunked.

Averill7 07-13-2014 07:15 AM

My guess would be to take in to a dealership and have them take a look at the shift solenoids. My 2011 did this several years ago and they found several faulty shift solenoids. After the fix, all the gears shifted better and the reverse clunk was gone and hasn't come back in 30 - 40k miles.:-X22

Big-Foot 07-13-2014 07:23 AM

When was the last time the slip joint in the driveshaft was lubricated?

When you stop the truck and set the parking brake, put it in neutral first, then set the brake, then shift into park. This will leave the transmission totally unloaded and there should be very little if any tension ob the park pawl.

Glittle 07-13-2014 10:48 AM

My 12 did this real bad and my 14 does it too. Really annoying to have a $60K truck that clunks so loud that people look to see if you just hit something. It does it on flat ground and is really bad when on an incline. Using the neutral first method on flat ground helps some, but doesn't cure it 100%. On an incline, neutral, parking brake as hard as possible, and then into park helps some. I don't feel like I should have to do this, but I don't think there is a fix...

kper05 07-13-2014 02:10 PM

Does it do it if you engage the e-brake first?
If you put it in park, apply the e-brake and then release the service brake, it still moves slightly and the parking pawl seems to take some of the load.

My 2011 does this so I learned if I always shift to neutral, apply e-brake, release service brake so the e-brake takes the load and then shift to park, it prevents that awful clunk. Even this process is quick.
Mine will clunk if the e-brake doesn't have the load first.

69cj 07-13-2014 02:18 PM

Sounds like the slip joint to me. That's the easiest and cheapest thing to address before going any further. While the drive shaft is apart you can also check your u joints.

Glittle 07-14-2014 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by kper05 (Post 14503992)
Does it do it if you engage the e-brake first?
If you put it in park, apply the e-brake and then release the service brake, it still moves slightly and the parking pawl seems to take some of the load.

My 2011 does this so I learned if I always shift to neutral, apply e-brake, release service brake so the e-brake takes the load and then shift to park, it prevents that awful clunk. Even this process is quick.
Mine will clunk if the e-brake doesn't have the load first.

I use the neutral, e-brake, shift to park method to lessen the chance of the clunk. I just don't think I should have to fumble around with shifting to neutral every time I want to park the truck.

Glittle 07-14-2014 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 69cj (Post 14504014)
Sounds like the slip joint to me. That's the easiest and cheapest thing to address before going any further. While the drive shaft is apart you can also check your u joints.

Trucks do it brand new off the lot. It seems as if the driveline is bound up when shifting from park to reverse or drive.

WhëëlMå1 07-14-2014 08:23 AM

It is not a slipjoint... absolutely in the tranny. Almost tough to shift from P out, and you can feel it in the shifter.

Only 5k miles on it, so it should not be doing this...

Does it more with the e-brake being used, which is the weirdest part. Gonna have the first oil change done soon and tell them to look at it. For the money, it should be perfect.

Glittle 07-14-2014 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by WhëëlMå1 (Post 14505736)
It is not a slipjoint... absolutely in the tranny. Almost tough to shift from P out, and you can feel it in the shifter.

Only 5k miles on it, so it should not be doing this...

Does it more with the e-brake being used, which is the weirdest part. Gonna have the first oil change done soon and tell them to look at it. For the money, it should be perfect.

Please post back what they tell you. I'm interested before I waste my time with the dealer myself.

FordService 07-14-2014 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by WhëëlMå1 (Post 14505736)
... Gonna have the first oil change done soon and tell them to look at it...

Good idea, WhëëlMå1. Send me a PM when you're ready to head into the dealership and I'll loop in your regional customer service manager. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

BigF350 07-14-2014 06:29 PM

Likewise, mine makes the same noise too. Let us know what the dealer says Rich!

Glittle 08-12-2014 09:03 AM

Rich - Resurrecting an old one to see what the dealer told you. I am thinking of taking mine in if they have a solution to fix the clunking.

2015F350 08-13-2014 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Glittle (Post 14576902)
Rich - Resurrecting an old one to see what the dealer told you. I am thinking of taking mine in if they have a solution to fix the clunking.

Hi Everyone,
I have this same issue with my 2015 F350. When I shift from park to drive it makes a clunk sound and feels like the brake is holding the truck(Only does it on an incline). Then it will surge forward. Had it towed to the dealer because I didn't want to damage anything further. I Felt stupid when the dealer told me they could find nothing wrong. They said it is Normal to pause before engaging into drive. They said it has a hill assist to keep the truck from rolling back when going from the brake to the gas pedal. To me seems to long or I'm too fast. Anyway I'm not satisfied with the way it is so I'm going to check another dealer.

Mark Von Achen 08-13-2014 11:36 PM

ive been having the same issue, i will try this tomorrow thx