Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wyoming Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum214/)
-   -   Traveling to Yellowstone (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325014-traveling-to-yellowstone.html)

400Nut 07-12-2014 09:49 PM

Traveling to Yellowstone

Hey guys! I will be traveling to Yellowstone from south central Wisconsin and arriving at the park on July 20th. This is my family's first trip to the park. I was wondering what things I should expect upon arrival. Also, what type of things should I be packing for automotive emergencies. I was thinking about installing a CB radio in the car for the trip. Also, any advice on where to start off in the park. I will be traveling with my wife and 3 children ages 4,9, and 11. I posted these questions on the Michigan chapter forum last year before our U.P. trip and the information they gave to me was extremely helpful. Hoping this helps the same way. Thanks!

coolbeans 07-21-2014 10:02 AM

Howdy 400Nut! I apologize for the late reply, these are busy months for most of us in this chapter. The most important thing to do at the park is stay away from the idiots that try to get close to the animals.. all they are really doing is trying to get themselves, (and you) killed. I have not been there in a long time... but take plenty of water, and stay on the boardwalks.. other than that, there's stuff to see everywhere!! Ask a ranger.. they will direct you to very neat places. As far as automotive, the roads are pretty good, I have always carried the usual wrenches, screwdrivers, tape (elec. & duct), a good first aid kit.
Have Fun!

7283-F250 08-13-2014 06:43 PM

I am most likely headed to Yellowstone as well.

Not trying to threadjack but I figured I would add to this instead of starting a new one.

Leaving NH Sept 1 and driving to CO than to Yellowstone.

I have a bit of a differant question.

Lodging? Should I try to book ahead or is walking into a place the night I need a bed fine? The last 2 years I did a road trip this worked out fairly well (no planning and pre-booking of rooms)

Hot Air baloon rides. Is there a baloon company to look out for? One to try hardest to get a ride with?

Thank you

coolbeans 08-14-2014 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 7283-F250 (Post 14580988)
I am most likely headed to Yellowstone as well.

Not trying to threadjack but I figured I would add to this instead of starting a new one.

Leaving NH Sept 1 and driving to CO than to Yellowstone.

I have a bit of a differant question.

Lodging? Should I try to book ahead or is walking into a place the night I need a bed fine? The last 2 years I did a road trip this worked out fairly well (no planning and pre-booking of rooms)

Hot Air baloon rides. Is there a baloon company to look out for? One to try hardest to get a ride with?

Thank you

I would think it would be a good idea to book ahead, as Yellowstone is ALWAYS busy with people, even in Sept. IMHO.

This is a good link to check out the various places, we stayed in a nice cabin at Lake Yellowstone, which had excellent dining at the main lodge, and you can rent boats there as well.... Yellowstone National Park Lodging & Hotels | US Park Lodging

Here's Expedia if ya like doing it that way..
Yellowstone National Park, Northwest Wyoming - 119 hotels at the best price - guaranteed

Activities....
Things To Do : Activities, Attractions, Yellowstone, Grand Teton - Wyoming Travel and Tourism

I found this for Hot Air Balloon rides...
Yellowstone National Park Hot Air Balloon Rides by Wyoming Ballooning

Most of all, have a great time, and be safe!!

Turbo Dog 09-02-2014 05:15 PM

For a sweet out of the park drive...take 212 the Bear Tooth Pass highway up to Red Lodge in MT.

7283-F250 09-13-2014 01:22 PM

Guys. Thank you.

Due to weather we ended up in Texas.

Than Tennessee for the smokie mnts and horsback riding.

Lots of driving (5k in less than 2 weeks). We did have fun so everything worked out.

coolbeans 09-14-2014 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 7283-F250 (Post 14662774)
Guys. Thank you.

Due to weather we ended up in Texas.

Than Tennessee for the smokie mnts and horsback riding.

Lots of driving (5k in less than 2 weeks). We did have fun so everything worked out.

You are welcome!
I have never been to the smoky mt's. so maybe some day I'll be asking you about what to do and see there! :D

arctic y block 09-14-2014 12:28 PM

The most important thing one should do Before going to
YellowStone is watch the movie 2012. Nuff Said.:-hair

7283-F250 09-14-2014 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by arctic y block (Post 14664848)
The most important thing one should do Before going to
YellowStone is watch the movie 2012. Nuff Said.:-hair

Haven't seen it.
Want to see it.

But something tells me if i do see it I will never want to leave the house again.

As for the smoky mountains. We stayed in Gatlinburg TN and nearby is Pigeon Forge TN.
We drove through Pigeon Forge on the way (mid week) and they were having what I can only describe as the largest car show I have ever seen outside of Carlisle PA. Every hotel and restaurant on the Pigeon Forge strip had minimum 20 classic cars/trucks in the parking lots.
Also, we did not go but Dollywood is in Pigeon Forge! May be worth another visit sometime.

And if you bring the family car the "Tail of the Dragon" is not too far from there as well. Another reason for me to go back. Time did not allow the 2+hr detour required on this trip.

Redrkt 09-21-2014 11:26 PM

I know there used to be a big Ford run at Pigeon Forge every year, not sure if it is still going on but that could have been it. And the Dragon is a wonderful drive during the day, in the evening and at night is when all the fast boys come out to play on it.