Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   LOL epa says rolling coal is illegal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1324302-lol-epa-says-rolling-coal-is-illegal.html)

Ken_C 07-08-2014 05:51 PM

LOL epa says rolling coal is illegal

EPA says rolling coal is illegal | PowerNation

Robbieo11 07-08-2014 09:18 PM

Wtf they are protecting us from ourselves we are blinded by all the coal.

Air planes trains tractors ships all do it. Planes are the worse. Sitting in one of those all i can smell is raw kerosene. I say that on the plane peeps think i am crazy. Realy bad in winter

Anyway. The revenue assurance officers are getting kinda greedy

powrstrkr 07-08-2014 09:38 PM

Yeah - Saw that piece on FOX News tonight. It said the EPA said that altering engines to roll coal is illegal. Maybe in a gasser but in our vintage trucks - I don't think so!! I have a permanent pollution exemption cert from the State of NM. I just hope the publicity doesn't fire up the EPA to come up with something else to hurt our trucks. Last thing was going to ULSD. But that was an easy work around by adding a bit of 2cy oil (or other additives) when filling up.

cowmilker08 07-09-2014 12:42 PM

Land of the free, right?

breedo99 07-09-2014 01:16 PM

While we are on the subject, what does it take for our trucks to roll coal? Mine doesnt smoke at all whatsoever. Ive got the ts chip, 6637 filter, straight exhaust...

lemonshindig 07-09-2014 01:33 PM

Rolling coal SHOULD be illegal.

What's the point? You're pushing a bunch of unburnt or partially burnt fuel out the exhaust and causing excess pollution.

For race trucks (non-street), fine. The intent is to maximize power in a customized application. I have no problem with that; modify as much as you want to.

But if it's modified to the point of no longer meeting the emissions requirements of the year it was built, then it shouldn't be legal to drive it on the street. In fact, I don't believe it is. Just because your county doesn't require emissions testing does not mean that federal emissions standards aren't the law. There is a reason that it is illegal for shops to defeat emissions equipment on vehicles that are registered and non-exempt from emissions.

That said, I have removed catalytic converters before, and probably will in the future too. But, it IS illegal, and it should continue to be.

Gicknordon 07-09-2014 01:52 PM

There was an article on aol the other day that said anybody that rolls coal hates Obama and is only doing it to protest environmentalism.

BBslider001 07-09-2014 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gicknordon (Post 14494262)
There was an article on aol the other day that said anybody that rolls coal hates Obama and is only doing it to protest environmentalism.

That is not even worth responding to.

iverger 07-09-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by lemonshindig (Post 14494227)
For race trucks (non-street), fine. The intent is to maximize power in a customized application. I have no problem with that; modify as much as you want to.

Banks proved years ago that it doesn't add value even off the street.

That said, I still have no love for the EPA. Soon they'll be working with state governments to meter my water well and tax or ban my wood stove.

totalloser 07-09-2014 03:02 PM

Sort of a misleading issue. Lower compression DI engines properly tuned for fuel efficiency usually will smoke until the turbo catches up.

The assumption that unburnt fuel equals inefficiency is only partly right. Full load smoking is more efficient due to unburnt losses being overcome by pumping loss efficiency.

Stoopid emissions regulations have absolutely ruined efficiency in diesels, and it's no mystery. Burning more fuel is not good for the environment, and DPF junk is feel good legislation.

The real solution would have been airflow improvements, which are illegal in many states, such as twins. Twins clean it up across the spectrum for particulates, and a basic NOX cat with egr would clean up the rest.

Emissions standards are concocted by politicians, not engineers or mechanics. And it shows in the implementation of technology.

Gicknordon 07-09-2014 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BBslider001 (Post 14494308)
That is not even worth responding to.

Political Protest Or Just Blowing Smoke? Anti-Environmentalists Are Now 'Rolling Coal'

Read for yourself

cowmilker08 07-09-2014 03:37 PM

They are not really concerned with efficiency. It is emmissions that the EPA is really worried about. That's why my 1996 gets about 19 mpg and a 2015 would probably get 19 mpg. Despite all the newer technology that should improve efficiency, it is offset by the equipment used to reduce emissions.

coreyallan01 07-09-2014 08:00 PM

I don't even know where to start with this but I will say we, (and when I say we I mean those who find it necessary to "roll coal"; not me) asked for this by doing so. I mean really, in this day and age did anybody think they'd get away with spewing black soot into the air in front of all the smart/E/flex/I/dual take your pick cars on the road and all the liberal fruit loops that have rendered us a minority without people talking to their senator... This sucks but its what its come to.. I can't venture to say what'll come of it, maybe tickets like loud pipes on bikes like here in Maine which they looooosly enforce... Maybe us old truck guys wont have to face the brunt of it.. I'll say my truck is plenty satisfying where its at, doesn't need a whole hell of a lot more anything...

Story just for the hell of it.... The tugboat I work on has MTU "Detroit Diesel" 16V4000s rated at 2700hp per side. They meet the "tier 3", https://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/nonroad.php emissions the EPA and other governing bodies have agreed to as acceptable for nonroad diesels. Anyhow the ironic thing is that these are non DPF twin turbo/sequential turbo engines, they are load sensing and on my vessel @ about 1450rpm the 2nd turbo goes online and with it a CLOUD!!!! of soot/black smoke/and general mayhem happens for say 3-5 seconds till it starts turnin and clears out.... No one can see this, no prius drivers, no irate granola eaters, no NPR listeners (BTW NPR listeners, listen to the credits of who's grants funded your precious shows)... Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Carnegie, Morgan and FORD!!!!!! These fellas after amassing all their cash Carnegie in particular decided that he'd see how much he could give away... People are so jaded... Everybody outta get their heads outta their asses remember where they came from and focus on the real issues we've got going on here.... Just sucks..... dang EPA, good politics/ bad politics is what this is alllll about....

powrstrkr 07-09-2014 08:52 PM

The EPA just announced they have the power to garnish your wages if they THINK you broke one of their regs without going thru the courts or having to prove anything. The burden of appeal and proving innocence is on YOU while your check is being robbed. Shows you where the EPA is at!! They deserve to be snubbed. What pollution devices did a 96 PSD come from the factory with? A cat in some states? A cat on our 7.3s is nothing but an ashcan that clogs up, killing power and mileage. Working as an environmental engineer I have to follow a million regs at work, but in my own life, I'm doing what makes sense and saves money. My truck runs much better than stock, gets better mileage and will blow smoke if I want it to but I don't do it for jollies like the serious coal rollers. Almost every branch of govt is getting way too big and tyrannical and the EPA is near the top of the list. If there ever was a govt org that needs to be reined in, it's the EPA. They may be in a tie with the IRS.

BBslider001 07-10-2014 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gicknordon (Post 14494490)

Not saying it is not true, but that the claim is not worth responding to...I never thought Nobama was worth even reading about.