Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   A spark plug just came out by itself... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1324010-a-spark-plug-just-came-out-by-itself.html)

Creach 07-06-2014 10:41 PM

A spark plug just came out by itself...

I do not know anything about engines or mechanics, so pardon the awkward descriptions. I have a buncha questions.

I started up the truck to pull out of a store, and I heard a pop or bang from under the right side of the truck, and then the engine started chuffing. It kinda sounded like a motorcycle with open headers. I shut it off right away and looked for any obvious damage but there wasn't any. There were no engine fault lights or anything. I started it up and it ran with this chuffing noise. from the driver's seat it sounded like I was on a motorcycle.

Drove it home the 10 miles, chuffing all the way and watching the gauges. The gauges never showed anything but normal, but the truck was a little sluggish.

Pullled into the driveway and shut it off to cool. After an hour or so I looked really closely but couldn't see anything obvious. I started it up with the hood open. The chuffing was coming from the top of the engine, on the passenger side, and when I passed my hand over it, I could feel a breeze in time with the chuffing. I shut it off and inspected again. Now I would see a spring poking out from under a rubber boot sticking in the top of the engine.

I got on the web and determined that I was looking at a COP unit, so I managed to remove the bolt securing it and the boot that covers the plug was all chewed up. I could see the plug way down inside and it looked good, but why was I feeling a breeze? I started it again, now I could really feel a breeze, and the plug was gone! I found it under the truck. The threads don't look like the plug was forced out of the hole.

I think I can just replace the plug and COP. Would that be the only thing I need to do? Or should I just get it into a mechanic?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...a3963edc16.jpg

BUT, I'm alone with only one vehicle. And I'm about 10 miles out of town. Can I drive it enough to get parts, or will I further mess something up? I'll wait for my wife to come home in a few days If I must.

Advice needed please.

Many thanks, F150 gurus.
Creach

ojai150 07-06-2014 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Creach (Post 14487674)
I do not know anything about engines or mechanics, so pardon the awkward descriptions. I have a buncha questions.

I started up the truck to pull out of a store, and I heard a pop or bang from under the right side of the truck, and then the engine started chuffing. It kinda sounded like a motorcycle with open headers. I shut it off right away and looked for any obvious damage but there wasn't any. There were no engine fault lights or anything. I started it up and it ran with this chuffing noise. from the driver's seat it sounded like I was on a motorcycle.

Drove it home the 10 miles, chuffing all the way and watching the gauges. The gauges never showed anything but normal, but the truck was a little sluggish.

Pullled into the driveway and shut it off to cool. After an hour or so I looked really closely but couldn't see anything obvious. I started it up with the hood open. The chuffing was coming from the top of the engine, on the passenger side, and when I passed my hand over it, I could feel a breeze in time with the chuffing. I shut it off and inspected again. Now I would see a spring poking out from under a rubber boot sticking in the top of the engine.

I got on the web and determined that I was looking at a COP unit, so I managed to remove the bolt securing it and the boot that covers the plug was all chewed up. I could see the plug way down inside and it looked good, but why was I feeling a breeze? I started it again, now I could really feel a breeze, and the plug was gone! I found it under the truck. The threads don't look like the plug was forced out of the hole.

I think I can just replace the plug and COP. Would that be the only thing I need to do? Or should I just get it into a mechanic?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...a3963edc16.jpg

BUT, I'm alone with only one vehicle. And I'm about 10 miles out of town. Can I drive it enough to get parts, or will I further mess something up? I'll wait for my wife to come home in a few days If I must.

Advice needed please.

Many thanks, F150 gurus.
Creach

What year , and what size engine is this ? I think you could just screw in a new plug and put on a new coil , and not look back , how many miles on it ?

get a socket that holds the new plug securely , and very carefully try to screw it in , making sure it is not cross threading ,. let us know what happens ,

The reason I asked is typically what we see are the '04 to '08 5.4 plugs with the shield on the end , your does not have this .

Creach 07-06-2014 11:11 PM

Darn. I was in such a hurry to post that I forgot the *really important* stuff.

2005 4.6l with 111,000 miles.

Thanks. Do you think I can drive it the 10 miles into town?

ojai150 07-07-2014 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Creach (Post 14487732)
Darn. I was in such a hurry to post that I forgot the *really important* stuff.

2005 4.6l with 111,000 miles.

Thanks. Do you think I can drive it the 10 miles into town?

If the threads look ok on the plug that came out , maybe just put it back in , tighten it , and drive to town and get a new COP and a new plug .

Creach 07-07-2014 12:26 AM

Okay, thanks! That makes me feel much better.

But I've forgotten another important fact: my tools are in storage. 10 miles away, and I have NO way to install the plug.

If it can be driven with the spark plug removed, then I'm good.

Otherwise I wait for my wife to bring the car.

Creach

ojai150 07-07-2014 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Creach (Post 14487843)
Okay, thanks! That makes me feel much better.

But I've forgotten another important fact: my tools are in storage. 10 miles away, and I have NO way to install the plug.

If it can be driven with the spark plug removed, then I'm good.

Otherwise I wait for my wife to bring the car.

Creach

Well , its not normally done , but I guess if you drove it 10 miles home , you can drive it 10 miles to the parts house . :)

Creach 07-07-2014 12:41 AM

OOOkay. Big thanks. :D

And I'll report back here tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Creach

Byooty 07-07-2014 02:27 AM

Wonder if they are using the same heads as the 2002 5.4l ?
I had a plug blow and it stripped the thread in the head......:-X18

ojai150 07-07-2014 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Byooty (Post 14487902)
Wonder if they are using the same heads as the 2002 5.4l ?
I had a plug blow and it stripped the thread in the head......:-X18

Good question ,...please let us know what you find out , so we can share .

Creach 07-07-2014 12:22 PM

I certainly will.

I noticed the caution in your later post ("Well , its not normally done..."), ojai150, and decided to wait for my wife.

Better to do it completely right than only partially right. This'll cut down on the number of possible repercussions, as well as make a positive outcome a LOT more likely. ;)

Many thanks, and stay tuned for more developments.

Creach

1saxman 07-07-2014 01:39 PM

Plugs sometimes just come out. I would replace them all, but at least you should check the others to make sure they're not loose. Don't over tighten. Anyone who walks or rides a bicycle has seen countless spark plugs on the road, particularly at intersections.

Creach 07-07-2014 09:48 PM

Today I was able to borrow some tools, and get a lift in to a parts store. I bought a new plug and a new boot for the coil. I was so very hopeful.

The plug does NOT seat. :( The 5/8 socket with extension goes the same distance into the hole whether or not I put the plug into it. I'd bet good money that the hole is stripped.

I found a Ford dealer nearby that'll fix it for $100. Wednesday I take it in. I've read that it's so easy to recut the threads, but I just don't wanna take the chance. I'm a total noob and I have zero tools or experience.

Stay tuned.
Creach

ojai150 07-07-2014 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Creach (Post 14490020)
Today I was able to borrow some tools, and get a lift in to a parts store. I bought a new plug and a new boot for the coil. I was so very hopeful.

The plug does NOT seat. :( The 5/8 socket with extension goes the same distance into the hole whether or not I put the plug into it. I'd bet good money that the hole is stripped.

I found a Ford dealer nearby that'll fix it for $100. Wednesday I take it in. I've read that it's so easy to recut the threads, but I just don't wanna take the chance. I'm a total noob and I have zero tools or experience.

Stay tuned.
Creach

Sounds like you made a good call,...

Byooty 07-08-2014 02:19 AM

Until I bought this truck I have never lost a spark plug and thats in over 40 years of having vehicles, so to say that they just fall out is ridiculous.

Falling out, or popping out is just bad engineering....:(

ojai150 07-08-2014 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Byooty (Post 14490502)
Until I bought this truck I have never lost a spark plug and thats in over 40 years of having vehicles, so to say that they just fall out is ridiculous.

Falling out, or popping out is just bad engineering....:(

Maybe the last guy that tightened it , was just an idiot ??

You make it sound like Fords are dangerous to be near when they are running , as sparkplugs could shoot out at ant moment ,....:-huh