Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   What's missing from my accelerator linkage? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1323672-whats-missing-from-my-accelerator-linkage.html)

Jolly Roger Joe 07-04-2014 06:48 PM

What's missing from my accelerator linkage?

2 Attachment(s)
51 F4 226 6 cyl. My pedal rod barely pokes through the firewall.

Here's a pic of what I have sticking up through the floor. I'd like to order whatever is missing, but I can't tell from the drawing what goes where or how it's supposed to work.

Looks like I need a 7HC 9738-B Pedal to Accelerator Rod, and the 7HC 9760-B Accelerator to Pedal Rod Spring. Does it look like the 9738 is maybe broken off in the pic? How does that part attach to the 9725 Accelerator Assy? It doesn't look threaded in the drawing.

And where does the *23499-S8 Pedal Stop Carriage Bolt mount? I don't think I have one...

The 33798-S8 and 34806-S is a nut and lock washer and looks like it holds the assembly to the firewall.

The only part I can find for number *9794 is a "Generator Mounting Cup" and that's not what I need...

And I can't find any 8112177 part in my book although I think that would be a common rubber replacement part. Mine is obviously worn down.

Can anyone help?

Attachment 101908

Attachment 101909

ALBUQ F-1 07-04-2014 07:47 PM

Is that the spring in your picture? It just kind of threads on by twisting, likewise the 9738 similarly twists into the spring. It kind of looks like the ball end broke off your 9738.

Accelerator Pedal Seal | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_tr...pedal-rod.html

PS -- see if the ball end is stuck inside the rubber socket on the back of your accel pedal

Jolly Roger Joe 07-04-2014 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 14483294)
Is that the spring in your picture? It just kind of threads on by twisting, likewise the 9738 similarly twists into the spring. It kind of looks like the ball end broke off your 9738.

Accelerator Pedal Seal | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

PS -- see if the ball end is stuck inside the rubber socket on the back of your accel pedal

Thanks for the links Ross. That's added to my list.

I didn't have a pedal when I got the truck. I just tried to "unscrew" the part that's there and it won't budge. Probably needs to be blasted like everything else. If it is a broken 9738, it's really twisted onto that spring...

I see Dennis Carpenter has all the parts. Thanks again Ross.

raytasch 07-04-2014 08:43 PM

Joe, I have a spring and ball from the '49, if you would want to put anything that old on Betsy. The spring is hard to get off the larger U shaped part. I just went out and took the one off my parts stash. It is yours if you want it.

Jolly Roger Joe 07-04-2014 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 14483379)
Joe, I have a spring and ball from the '49, if you would want to put anything that old on Betsy. The spring is hard to get off the larger U shaped part. I just went out and took the one off my parts stash. It is yours if you want it.

That would be great Ray. I'll PM you my address. :-drink

NumberDummy 07-06-2014 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 14483219)
And I can't find any 8112177 part in my book although I think that would be a common rubber replacement part. Mine is obviously worn down.

You need the 1944/52 body parts catalog to look this number up.

Ford had odd ways of looking up body parts back then.

What the basic part number actually is: 12177 not 8112177

When you look up this number, by adding the body style (81), the prefix and suffix (if any), the entire number will be known.

Jolly Roger Joe 07-06-2014 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 14487242)
You need the 1944/52 body parts catalog to look this number up.

Ford had odd ways of looking up body parts back then.

What the basic part number actually is: 12177 not 8112177

When you look up this number, by adding the body style (81), the prefix and suffix (if any), the entire number will be known.

Wow! Thanks Bill. I keep saying I learn something new everyday. And it's OK if you guys quote me on that. :)

So, just to be sure I understand, I looked for that number (12177) in my Parts Catalog, and of course you're right Bill, it's not in there.

One of these days (how many times have I said this?) I'm going to take you up on picking up the parts book you offered. But I made my Illustrations and Text catalogs searchable PDFs now, so I am finding things easier.

Jolly Roger Joe 07-10-2014 01:15 PM

Thank you Ray

2 Attachment(s)
While I was in Denver this week, I received at home in the mail a gift from Ray... :-jammin He obviously spent some time cleaning it up before he sent it.

And now that I see what this really looks like, I don't know what I have stuck on the end of the gas pedal rod...

Attachment 102217

But it isn't anything like that. :-huh

Attachment 102218

bobj49f2 07-10-2014 01:57 PM

I've been driving my F-2 for over 20 years with a pedal, just the rod sticking through the floor. The other day while driving the panel I realized I didn't have a pedal in that truck either. I guess I've just come accustomed to it. I do have pedals for both trucks, they're in my parts stash but just have never taken the time to install them.

Jolly Roger Joe 07-10-2014 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by bobj49f2 (Post 14497092)
I've been driving my F-2 for over 20 years with a pedal, just the rod sticking through the floor. The other day while driving the panel I realized I didn't have a pedal in that truck either. I guess I've just come accustomed to it. I do have pedals for both trucks, they're in my parts stash but just have never taken the time to install them.

I didn't have a pedal when I got the truck. And I ran it in the driveway several times without a pedal. But I put in a new pedal before I ever drove it. Then I noticed when I was working on the transmission that the new pedal was being destroyed by the rod. That stub sticking through the firewall doesn't fit in the cup on the back of the pedal.

So that's when I looked in the parts catalog to see what that stub is supposed to look like, and discovered I have parts missing. I'm not surprised... just learning something new about the truck.

Jolly Roger Joe 07-13-2014 12:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So, those of you who thought that was just a broken spring packed with dirt were correct. I got the "new" spring and rod in place today. Thanks again Ray! :-jammin

The pedal now actually sits far enough away from the floor to install a new boot. :)

Before and after shots.

Attachment 102412

Attachment 102413

Attachment 102410

Attachment 102411

raytasch 07-13-2014 12:57 PM

You're more than welcome, Joe. Hope Betsy enjoys and behaves well with her new pieces.