Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Help quick in middle of oil change REPLY!!!!!!!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1323578-help-quick-in-middle-of-oil-change-reply.html)

BigBlkEX 07-04-2014 03:24 AM

Help quick in middle of oil change REPLY!!!!!!!!

Whooooo I cant stop laughing guys this is a thread to help us all learn on each other and help one another out in time of need some ask for advice others just have advice to give out. Yes some are smarter than others when it comes to mechanical, electrical, etc... but others are new to this game also and they don't know as much. But we all like different things and God made us that way. One person might like to change there plug out to a slow draining one and ez of the draining process with a tube and the other just likes good ole fashion way. We can all get heated sometimes when some says something to piss you off but just step back relax drink a beer n move on. Go have some fun with your wife's to let your anger out and get off the innerwebs as Gas monkey would say! hahahahahah :-) :-) :-)... If you don't have a wife or a girlfriend drink a beer shoot some pool. No resin to get your panties in a wad over a bolt.;-) This is not to bash anyone its just a little point that every one should know a pretty much agree on. Catch y'all laters!!!

Misky6.0 07-04-2014 07:33 AM

With the diesel having nearly 4 gallons of oil the fumoto helps a lot.
My 15 qt train pan spills if i don't stop and drain halfway.
I have done the last few changes by holding an empty gallon jug (from previous change) up to the fumoto and draining directly into jug, and shutting the fumoto when almost full.
I use a short two pieces of 4x4 to sit the jug on as a platform so i don't accidentily move the jug, oops.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Apocalypse 07-04-2014 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Some of these posts have been entertaining, but let's try and steer it back on topic.....oh hell, who am I kidding, this one is done.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps8f0b55d7.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps5b979109.jpg

mecdac 07-04-2014 08:31 AM

Pros =

From Fumoto website:The Fumoto Engine Oil Drain's spring assisted ball valve replaces your standard issue oil drain plug and makes oil changes easier, cleaner, and less time consuming.
  • One Touch Operation.
  • Allows for clean and mess free oil changes.
  • Safely change your oil with unsafe contact with hot oil.
  • Eliminates stripped threads and frozen plugs.
  • Simple to install and operate.
  • Reduces Oil changing time and expense.
  • Ideal for sampling analysis as a small amount of oil can be drawn without shutting off the engine.
Cons =

$23.00 from Amazon

jspence105 07-04-2014 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by mecdac (Post 14482110)
Pros =

From Fumoto website:The Fumoto Engine Oil Drain's spring assisted ball valve replaces your standard issue oil drain plug and makes oil changes easier, cleaner, and less time consuming.
  • One Touch Operation.
  • Ideal for sampling analysis as a small amount of oil can be drawn without shutting off the engine.
Cons =

$23.00 from Amazon

It is slower to drain, but the no mess makes it worth the extra time.

Apocalypse 07-04-2014 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jspence105 (Post 14482233)
It is slower to drain, but the no mess makes it worth the extra time.

Good things are worth waiting for. You kids today and wanting everything so fast!

There was an article in super smart engenrineering weekly that I subskribe too because I'm really smart that you don't know about because it's super secret! If you drain the oil too fast the rapid low pressure change in the block can LOCK IT UP and then no more excursion moter. Sounds crazy, but it's in my magazine that I can't show you because youre not as smart enough to understand it. It has to do with vorticles and hydro-dynamics. :-huh

Speaking of everything going slower, I hear dial-up is making a comeback LOL :D

EXv10 07-04-2014 11:05 AM

Here is how to drain your oil the fastest and easiest way;
>Take your end wrench and loosen the plug you made just SNUGLY last time
>With the engine cool run the plug out all the way while applying a little pressure so it doesn't seep any oil and you can feel the last thread.
>When you feel the clicking of the last thread quickly remove the plug and set it next to the pot you have set up.
>Have a rag there so you can wipe off the small amount (if any) of oil. (Actually my hands never get oily while doing this.)
>Now you can fill the pan while you wait (unlike with the fumato unless you need a nap) and drag it out. Keep in mind that the Fumato needs space for the treads so the hole is only about half as big.
>Now you can put the dry plug back in and just tighten it until it is snug and then with the wrench just give it a little tug. It is not going to leak or come out.

EXv10 07-04-2014 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mecdac (Post 14482110)
Pros =

• One Touch Operation.
Cons =

$23.00 from Amazon

Me in bold

*]One Touch Operation.

Opposed to a 2 touch operation every 6+- months
[*]Allows for clean and mess free oil changes.

Mine are always clean and mess free
[*]Safely change your oil with unsafe contact with hot oil.

Why change it when it is hot ?:-huh
[*]Eliminates stripped threads and frozen plugs.

Never had one but always did it myself and no way am I going to strip one.
[*]Simple to install and operate.

Even simpler if you leave it at Amazon.:D
[*]Reduces Oil changing time and expense.

Expense? yea right and the valve actually causes more time to do it.
[*]Ideal for sampling analysis as a small amount of oil can be drawn without shutting off the engine.

That's just ridiculous, like the oil is suddenly going to change composition when you shut it down..........lol.

I am seeing all the typical hype but I guess they have to eat too.

Jmatthews 07-04-2014 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Misky6.0 (Post 14481992)
With the diesel having nearly 4 gallons of oil the fumoto helps a lot.
My 15 qt train pan spills if i don't stop and drain halfway.
I have done the last few changes by holding an empty gallon jug (from previous change) up to the fumoto and draining directly into jug, and shutting the fumoto when almost full.
I use a short two pieces of 4x4 to sit the jug on as a platform so i don't accidentily move the jug, oops.

That's what I do, I used to drain in in a five gallon bucket but it was too messy. Now I save my old jugs and put the lids on and done.

Money-Pit 07-04-2014 11:47 AM

Umm, I think the fella was just wanting to know if there was a seal or gasket on the drain plug....since he dropped the plug in the oil drain container. He obviously knows how to change his oil....and with his V10 motor....what use is a Fumoto anyway? :confused::confused:

(And this is from someone with a Fumoto on a 6.0 diesel)

Happy 4th of July peoples! :-drink

Misky6.0 07-04-2014 11:53 AM

To me, the op asked to provide their method vs get in another argument... :-)

Money-Pit 07-04-2014 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Misky6.0 (Post 14482529)
To me, the op asked to provide their method vs get in another argument... :-)

I thought the OP of this thread was discussing the train wreck that happened on the other closed thread....and something about he was going to have some fun with his wife & girlfriend on a pool table?:confused:

Lucky sumbitch.

EXv10 07-04-2014 12:44 PM

Yea but there is always room for learning. Sorry to say many people DON'T know how to change their oil. A few little tips can mean the difference between a messy chore and an easy job. I actually look forward to the job and with my portable stamped steel ramps I don't even have to jack it up (don't even need that really).

Apocalypse 07-04-2014 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 14482604)
I actually look forward to the job and with my portable stamped steel ramps I don't even have to jack it up (don't even need that really).

Yet more of your bogus "hype" products! When I change my oil I do it the old fashioned way, like Henry Ford intended.

Before you start: Throw that unsafe jack and those jackstands in the trash. Don't attempt this on a flat surface like a cement driveway or on a lift. This is best done on an inconvenient incline in very high grass in a field or on a gravel driveway with sharp rocks. Always keep the engine running while performing the oil change so the most oil gets out of the motor. If possible have a friend rev the motor up as the oil gets low to "free up" that last little bit.

1. Wait until it is midnight (in your timezone) so the sun won't blind you (For safety) and either raining or snowing hard so you will stay hydrated and refreshed during the oil change. (For safety)

2. Let the air out of all 4 tires to lower the truck for more stability. (For safety)

3. Using only a philips head screwdriver and a pair of small needle nose pliers (For safety) remove the drain plug and set it in a cup of sand so it won't roll away. (For safety)

4. Let the oil drain into the neighbors yard. (This step is optional)

5. Put the sandy plug back in and cross-thread it for extra grip. Make sure to use a ratchet and breaker bar. (For safety) Don't stop torquing down on it until it spins freely in the pan.

6. Replace oil or whatever.

7. Prolly a filter in there somewhere too. (For safety)

mecdac 07-04-2014 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 14482688)
Yet more of your bogus "hype" products! When I change my oil I do it the old fashioned way, like Henry Ford intended.

Before you start: Throw that unsafe jack and those jackstands in the trash. Don't attempt this on a flat surface like a cement driveway or on a lift. This is best done on an inconvenient incline in very high grass in a field or on a gravel driveway with sharp rocks. Always keep the engine running while performing the oil change so the most oil gets out of the motor. If possible have a friend rev the motor up as the oil gets low to "free up" that last little bit.

1. Wait until it is midnight (in your timezone) so the sun won't blind you (For safety) and either raining or snowing hard so you will stay hydrated and refreshed during the oil change. (For safety)

2. Let the air out of all 4 tires to lower the truck for more stability. (For safety)

3. Using only a philips head screwdriver and a pair of small needle nose pliers (For safety) remove the drain plug and set it in a cup of sand so it won't roll away. (For safety)

4. Let the oil drain into the neighbors yard. (This step is optional)

5. Put the sandy plug back in and cross-thread it for extra grip. Make sure to use a ratchet and breaker bar. (For safety) Don't stop torquing down on it until it spins freely in the pan.

6. Replace oil or whatever.

7. Prolly a filter in there somewhere too. (For safety)

Rep jail, good work.