Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Tune for 6.2? 2012 F-350 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1323249-tune-for-6-2-2012-f-350-a.html)

jez 07-02-2014 09:33 AM

Tune for 6.2? 2012 F-350

Im looking for a good tuner company for 2012 6.2. This is for my brother in-laws truck so im doing a little home work for him.
His truck is still under warranty,so im wondering when it's time for a service if he programs the stock data back into the truck can ford see that a tune was in there ?. Or would they even plug the truck in for a simple service anyhow,im guessing they may only plug his truck in if there is an engine/tranny problem?.
I seen a youtube vid of a guy who used 5 star tuning and he seemed to like their
tunes,i have learned through tuning my diesel that there is tuner guys and Tuner
Guys. Any info would be greatly appreciated

krewat 07-03-2014 11:48 AM

5-star will take care of you. If you have any issues with anything, email them, and they will provide a new tuner file that you can upload yourself.

2000silverbullet 07-11-2014 03:37 PM

5 Star all the way, have it on mine and no complaints.

You'll always hear different stories about trips to the dealer with/without tunes. If my truck goes back for anything (even oil changes), I put it back to stock, which, after driving tuned for so long, is torture.

If they wanted to know, they can tell if you've messed with the PCM...

Knothole 07-19-2014 09:35 AM

OK, how about spelling out what to expect from a "tune".

Fuel mileage, power,what?

Seriously, I just want to know.

jez 07-19-2014 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet (Post 14500085)
5 Star all the way, have it on mine and no complaints.

You'll always hear different stories about trips to the dealer with/without tunes. If my truck goes back for anything (even oil changes), I put it back to stock, which, after driving tuned for so long, is torture.

If they wanted to know, they can tell if you've messed with the PCM...

Good to know that they can see you have been messing with the PCM. I think my bro-in law is going to wait until his warranty is up.
He hauls his smaller camper n boat quite allot and was messing with the idea of getting some more grunt. Thanks for your info.

jez 07-19-2014 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Krewat (Post 14480075)
5-star will take care of you. If you have any issues with anything, email them, and they will provide a new tuner file that you can upload yourself.

OK five star it is then ,as i havnt seen any negative comment about them. My bro-inlaw is going to wait until his warranty is up.
Im looking forward to seeing what the 6.4 pulls like with a decat exhaust,intake,tuner. Thanks for you input.

jez 07-19-2014 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Knothole (Post 14518786)
OK, how about spelling out what to expect from a "tune".

Fuel mileage, power,what?

Seriously, I just want to know.

I know what to expect from different tunes, more power hp from some and more torque from other,economy tunes etc. Your questions were not why i started this thread. Seriously read it again.

Knothole 07-19-2014 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by jez (Post 14519068)
I know what to expect from different tunes, more power hp from some and more torque from other,economy tunes etc. Your questions were not why i started this thread. Seriously read it again.

There was nothing out of the way with my question on your thread. Maybe I also wanted to add one too and wanted to know what to expect.

We all learn from each other. Seriously, I read it the first time.

2000silverbullet 07-19-2014 02:36 PM

Some good information on 5 Star's site:

Got a 6.2L V8 Super Duty » 5 Star Tuning

Knothole 07-19-2014 06:43 PM

Yes Matt, and thanks, I have already followed every link on 5 Star's site. I was just interested in actual performance from fellow users here.

2000silverbullet 07-19-2014 06:58 PM

I threw some comments in another thread, but the 2 biggest impactful changes (for me) with the 5 Star tuner are the improved throttle response and the trans changes. The hp increase is there, but it's not felt as much as the other changes to me. My mpg's decreased, but I'm running the 93 tune and have a heavy foot.

My truck has to go back to the dealer soon for some maintenance items. I absolutely dread it as I put the truck back to stock anytime it's there. The tuner's that good.

Knothole 07-19-2014 08:11 PM

Thanks for your honest and straightforward answers. Yes, I am also following the other thread.

I pull a 4K lb portable sawmill when working and haul a 2K lb truck camper when playing.

GASPIG88 01-17-2017 04:17 PM

I have been playing with this idea.

my 6.2 does stupid sh%t all the time.

the shift pattern is ignorant at best... its been a long 5 years putting up with the gutless wonder (nicknamed after traction control almost got me t boned)

but the warranty is out and i am really thinking about it.

most of all.... i hate when it limits me. sometimes i need to throttle up clean those tires out and pull that trailer through that surprise low spot in the pasture.... then ford sends in the nope train like the lightning of Zeus and bam... 38K worth of big black and gutless stuck in a rut. :-arrgh:-arrgh:-arrgh

if nothing else i really just want advance track to take a hike... but if it has to stay it needs to Helen Keller setting.

killing that tire pressure monitor light would be nice... it has been on since day 1... 5 years.

rant over... lol im gonna go read all these other 5 star posts and try to figure out if im gonna get my 700$ worth.

Tarster 01-17-2017 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by GASPIG88 (Post 16877061)

the shift pattern is ignorant at best... its been a long 5 years putting up with the gutless wonder (nicknamed after traction control almost got me t boned)

most of all.... i hate when it limits me. sometimes i need to throttle up clean those tires out and pull that trailer through that surprise low spot in the pasture.... then ford sends in the nope train like the lightning of Zeus and bam... 38K worth of big black and gutless stuck in a rut. :-arrgh:-arrgh:-arrgh

if nothing else i really just want advance track to take a hike... but if it has to stay it needs to Helen Keller setting.

killing that tire pressure monitor light would be nice... it has been on since day 1... 5 years.

rant over... lol im gonna go read all these other 5 star posts and try to figure out if im gonna get my 700$ worth.

450$ and you can remove that low pressure indicator.. take up the play in the drive by wire on the throttle.. and I think you can tell them to turn off the traction control by default.. otherwise hold the traction control button for 5 to 8 seconds before hitting that field and just cover the trailer in field mud :)

BeaverCrap 01-20-2017 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by GASPIG88 (Post 16877061)

Just drive it in manual mode and keep it in the gear and RPM you want for whatever speed you are going.....Run it at no less than 2500 rpm in lower gears while traveling at lower speeds, and 2200RPM in 5th on the highway...it has decent throttle response then......you need to hit 4K RPM to really make it scream so I find it best to run it at higher RPM.....my truck has never seen 6th gear since I own it.....downshift and save your brakes too.....I get 13MPG highway empty and 8MPG highway towing a 9K LB 5th wheel.