Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Gauge Cluster from 1991 F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1323219-gauge-cluster-from-1991-f-150-a.html)

49f2owner 07-02-2014 03:24 AM

Gauge Cluster from 1991 F-150

Can a gauge cluster from a Ford 1991 f-150 be wired directly instead of using the exacting method which has a cluster that has a strip with several large connection that go in the back I wanted to use some the gauges in my original cluster for the 49..

Jim

big job 07-02-2014 04:14 AM

I suppose so, using the F150 senders. You do know these gauges plug in
the cluster. Then figure out the plus & sender prongs. Less work using
1973 thru 79 gauges and senders. the 91's & up are a different animal unlike
the bimetal king seely's..

49f2owner 07-03-2014 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by big job (Post 14476142)
I suppose so, using the F150 senders. You do know these gauges plug in
the cluster. Then figure out the plus & sender prongs. Less work using
1973 thru 79 gauges and senders. the 91's & up are a different animal unlike
the bimetal king seely's..

Yes I do know that they plug into the cluster I suppose I can figure out which wire goes where and go from there. The problem is that the cluster won't fit in the 49 dash cluster. I will work on trying to make it work I have a service manual for the 1991 will have to run down what wire goes where..

Thanks for help.

Jim

tip49 07-06-2014 10:08 PM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...239435&width=1 this picture was my original setup using Ford gauges and speedometer.

I am using late '80's gauges in my F1 instrument cluster. Today I inserted a new speedometer into the instrument cluster, the old one quit working so I used an after market Autometer that matches the gauges. The challenge is getting the gauges to match the senders, I haven't got there yet, my 90 Crown Vic had pressure and temperature gauges and idiot lights so I am still needing to "calibrate them to the gauges.

Its all do-able but will need to use resistors to match the senders. You need to remove the gauges from the circuit board instrument panel of your donor, they should mount in your instrument cluster with little modification.

Tom

49f2owner 07-07-2014 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by tip49 (Post 14487603)
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...239435&width=1 this picture was my original setup using Ford gauges and speedometer.

I am using late '80's gauges in my F1 instrument cluster. Today I inserted a new speedometer into the instrument cluster, the old one quit working so I used an after market Autometer that matches the gauges. The challenge is getting the gauges to match the senders, I haven't got there yet, my 90 Crown Vic had pressure and temperature gauges and idiot lights so I am still needing to "calibrate them to the gauges.

Its all do-able but will need to use resistors to match the senders. You need to remove the gauges from the circuit board instrument panel of your donor, they should mount in your instrument cluster with little modification.

Tom

Now that's what I'm talking about. I have the motor and all the wiring harness and computer ect. that was in the 1991 F-150 so that's why I was wonder if the gauges could be wired directly and not have to use the connection in the original cluster. I don't now what the thing on the back of the cluster is called. I just want to bypass it and connect it directly to the gauges so that I could fit the gauges just like you have in your picture.
Was your cluster similar to the 1991 cluster ???

Jim

tip49 07-07-2014 09:26 PM

1990 Crown Vic Instrument cluster

The crown vic was moulted plastic with a printed circuit board wiring harness, that the wiring harness plugged into. I removed the gauges, had to trim the gauge faces to fit and mounted them into my 1950 instrument cluster, had to use standoff bracket for the ammeter as it was deeper than the others. Late '80's Econoline van and F150 gauges are similar as well, with plastic gauge faces. I got a wiring diagram from the library to sort out the wiring harness. I am using a column mounted turn signal assembly so a lot of the wiring to the CV instruments were eliminated, anti -slosh indicator, seat belt warning light, etc, etc.
I can take a picture of the original cluster from the CV when I am back from work in 2 weeks.

Tom
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...258758&width=1

tip49 07-07-2014 09:49 PM

More gauge picsposted more pics in my gallery:

Take a look here for a few more pics:

Ford Truck Enthusiasts User Gallery

49f2owner 07-07-2014 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by tip49 (Post 14489956)
The crown vic was moulted plastic with a printed circuit board wiring harness, that the wiring harness plugged into. I removed the gauges, had to trim the gauge faces to fit and mounted them into my 1950 instrument cluster, had to use standoff bracket for the ammeter as it was deeper than the others. Late '80's Econoline van and F150 gauges are similar as well, with plastic gauge faces. I got a wiring diagram from the library to sort out the wiring harness. I am using a column mounted turn signal assembly so a lot of the wiring to the CV instruments were eliminated, anti -slosh indicator, seat belt warning light, etc, etc.
I can take a picture of the original cluster from the CV when I am back from work in 2 weeks.

Tom
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...258758&width=1

So would the 1991 have basically have the same printed circuit board as the CV if so than it should work. I have a Haynes repair manual for the 1991 and also the steering whell as it has cruise control so I got that 2. I am going to use the fire wall on the 1991 so I can use the power assisit and the steering wheel.

tip49 07-07-2014 10:01 PM

wiring

I think the wiring colors would be the same for 1990 and 1991; if you are using the wiring harness then the gauge wiring should be similar: yel-white for fuel, red-white for temp and white-red for oil pressure ? using your F1 cluster you will feed power to the first gauge, then the jumper bars on the back will feed power to the other gauges. There is a picture the back of wiring on my current instrument cluster in my gallery.

49f2owner 07-07-2014 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by tip49 (Post 14490061)
I think the wiring colors would be the same for 1990 and 1991; if you are using the wiring harness then the gauge wiring should be similar: yel-white for fuel, red-white for temp and white-red for oil pressure ? using your F1 cluster you will feed power to the first gauge, then the jumper bars on the back will feed power to the other gauges. There is a picture the back of wiring on my current instrument cluster in my gallery.

I got it, but I had planed on using the cluster from the 1991 in the 49 so as to have a more modern gauge set in it so that all the gauge read as they should and not get any false readings.

Jim