Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   302 EFI Engine Swap (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1322868-302-efi-engine-swap.html)

Robertcontr 06-30-2014 11:06 AM

302 EFI Engine Swap

Need some advice on rewiring and eliminating the excess smog gear from the 302 EFI we are installing in our 55 F100. We have the complete donor engine including all wiring and computer. We have installed it with an AOD.
These are the issues we need to resolve; Compatible wiring harnesses, removing smog pump, eliminating catalytic converters from exhaust. Also best method if connecting the accelerator peddle. I do not think we are trying to re invent the wheel here and I understand there are products available to do what we want. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Robert

Trey_Morgan 06-30-2014 12:33 PM

Not sure on the wiring harness but plenty of company's sell smog pump delete brackets with an idler pully to replace it. Or as I did on my 1994 5.0 I deleted both a/c and smog pump and found that I could buy a shorter belt and not need ether delete brackets or idlers. I also just built a small plate to cover the egr valve imput on the intake. I never had any problems with mine. The cats can all be deleted and you will need to have your ecu chipped or reflashed with a program built to run without them.
Edit: the throttle body is built to receive a cable so any cable capable pedal assembly will work with the ford style cable end.

Robertcontr 06-30-2014 01:03 PM

Thanks Trey, all good info and pretty much what I had assumed. I am pretty much a purest but I am helping one of our club members with this restoration in my shop and it is one I have not done before.
Robert

schoo 06-30-2014 01:10 PM

Where are you at in Cali Robert

NC-51-F1 06-30-2014 01:19 PM

Robert, when you remove the smog items, make sure you plug the holes in the back of the heads too.

Let me see if I have a picture handy....

NC-51-F1 06-30-2014 01:36 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b28ce596b6.jpg

Took a while, but here ya go.

Wayne Waldrep 06-30-2014 01:44 PM

Hey Robert. Welcome to FTE. I have done the swap you are working on and have been building and modifying fox body mustangs since they came out so hopefully I can help ya some. I eliminated all the smog on my daily driver long ago. Using an EEC IV computer (preferably an A9L) you dont have to do any custom programming if you don't want to. It's nice to turn the EGR function off in the computer but you don't have to. You can simply not run cats but you still need the O2 sensors. I'd suggest keeping the mass-air so it will run a little better but it depends on which engine/harness/computer combo you have. If you have speed density then I wouldn't go to the trouble of adding it. I used a simple March alternator bracket to eliminate the big bracketry on the alternator side when I removed the smog pump. On the wiring harness, I'd suggest looking at the Ford Racing harness and the sensor kit. Those are the stand alone pieces that is needed to run the engine and all other plugs can be eliminated. DO NOT CUT a perfectly good harness until you are sure!!! When I have removed wiring before I would take the harness and lay it out on a big table as close as I could get it to how it came out of the car. Then I'd untape/unwrap the whole thing. At that point you can pull the plugs you don't need back as far as you can and decide what to do with them. Sometimes I just wrap them up if they are not going to be seem just to keep from cutting what may be a loop that completes a circuit. You will also have to address the fuel pump circuit which includes an inertia switch unless you are just going to do an inline custom setup. I could proly type on this topic forever but I'd proly be babbling....more...lol.

EDIT: Good pic NC! Hey if both you guys wouldn't mind going in your userCP (upper left) and putting your location in it would be good. It will show up in the upper right like the rest of ours. You also can add a signature in there that will show us your basic truck information. Thanks and welcome to both of ya!! :)

Robertcontr 06-30-2014 03:36 PM

This is the outstanding kind of info I was hoping for. Really clarifying the obvious but when you have not done it before it makes the project much easier. Someone ask my location, I live and play in Sacramento our club shop is on Fruitridge Road. I am happy to send along our other contact information as well.
Thanks again Robert

AXracer 06-30-2014 03:59 PM

Hey NC 51 where in NC are you? There are several of us in the RDU/triangle area.

NC-51-F1 06-30-2014 04:53 PM

Hey, Ax. I'm near Greensboro. I have that in my information, but it doesn't show. Maybe I haven't made enough posts yet...

I still can't find some of the settings like the signature, etc.

Oh, well. We'll get there eventually..

Oh, Robert... Those plugs are 5/8"-11 coarse thread. The heads are threaded, but you'll probably have so much carbon build-up, it will not seem like it. Clean them out real good with wire brushes & you'll see the threads.

schoo 06-30-2014 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Robertcontr (Post 14471553)
This is the outstanding kind of info I was hoping for. Really clarifying the obvious but when you have not done it before it makes the project much easier. Someone ask my location, I live and play in Sacramento our club shop is on Fruitridge Road. I am happy to send along our other contact information as well.
Thanks again Robert

Yes bought a fender off a 65 from you a few months ago you gave me the tour of the club welcome to FTE

AXracer 07-01-2014 07:39 AM

NC51,
I am in Durham, TonyB55 is in New Hill. I am currently helping TonyB put a custom EFI equipped 5.0L and EAOD in his 50 F1. I have a 56 Panel with a CSB 400 and T56.
Liberty, NC is now showing. To add a signature: make sure you are logged in then go to the top of any page. There you will find a dark blue band, At the far left end click on user cp . On the page that comes up there is a menu on the left side. Click on edit signature. There you can make a signature that can contain a picture (watch the size limit) and information that will show up at the bottom of your post. I suggest you at least put the year make and model of your truck there, it will make it much easier to get accurate answers to your questions. You can also add other info (mods, etc) that you want others to know. After you save the siggy, and while yo are there go under edit options and make sure receive emails from members and receive PMs are checked if you want to be able to be contacted off the forum. Send me a PM with you phone # if you might be interested in getting together some time. To send a PM click on a members user name in any of their posts and choose send a PM on the drop down menu.

ChuckRob 07-01-2014 08:35 AM

Adapting the 5.0 harness is time consuming and be ready to be knee deep in tape when you strip the harness. One piece of advise that Wayne gave Do Not Cut a perfectly good harness is important. Before you start make a plan on what options you want to keep and what you don't need. Putting 5.0 EFI's is something that the kit car guys have been doing for years. You might want to look at FFcars there is a ton of information there.
FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
If you don't feel like fooling with the harness their is several guys that you can send your harness to and it comes back ready to install all taped up and tagged. You might want to check out Welcome to WireDiet.com

ChuckRob 07-01-2014 08:35 AM

OPPS double post

NC-51-F1 07-01-2014 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by AXracer (Post 14473302)
NC51,
I am in Durham, TonyB55 is in New Hill. I am currently helping TonyB put a custom EFI equipped 5.0L and EAOD in his 50 F1. I have a 56 Panel with a CSB 400 and T56.
Liberty, NC is now showing. To add a signature: make sure you are logged in then go to the top of any page. There you will find a dark blue band, At the far left end click on user cp . On the page that comes up there is a menu on the left side. Click on edit signature. There you can make a signature that can contain a picture (watch the size limit) and information that will show up at the bottom of your post. I suggest you at least put the year make and model of your truck there, it will make it much easier to get accurate answers to your questions. You can also add other info (mods, etc) that you want others to know. After you save the siggy, and while yo are there go under edit options and make sure receive emails from members and receive PMs are checked if you want to be able to be contacted off the forum. Send me a PM with you phone # if you might be interested in getting together some time. To send a PM click on a members user name in any of their posts and choose send a PM on the drop down menu.

Yes Sir! I noticed that they were appearing this morning, but didn't have a lot of time to "converse"... much less to add a signature. I'll probably do that sometime today.

I am converting an EFI engine to "bearskins and stone knives" (Carb) for my '51. I had never seen much info about the extra exhaust ports on the read of the cylinder heads and wanted to pass that bit of info along.