Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   RDS auxiliary tank install (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1317433-rds-auxiliary-tank-install.html)

porthole 05-29-2014 09:10 PM

RDS auxiliary tank install

4 Attachment(s)
Decided the 65 gallon Titan was not enough so I installed a RDS bed tank.
Fits with an inch to spare under my toolbox.

I used a 3/8" solenoid controlled by Up-fitter #2 and a 1/4 turn valve in case of issues.

Had some USCG approved 3/8" fuel line as well as a variety of fittings, so I used that from the valve to the filler hose tee.

Tank is advertised at 45 gallons, manufacturers plate fixed to side of tank says 48 and I only got about 40 gallons in. Also changed out the cap to a non locking version.

The mounting fall right where the bottom of the bed is covered with a cross channel. Needed to use some weather guard blind nuts that I had.

djousma 05-30-2014 07:13 AM

Looks good. Too bad you couldnt have plumbed that solenoid under the bed for a cleaner look. 105 gallons. wow about a 1000 mile range when towing, 1800 or so empty.

I'd love more capacity, but dont do enough long haul driving that I'd worry about the fuel in a large capacity tank getting stale/algae, etc.

Looks good.

Dave

turbo347frd 05-30-2014 07:22 AM

Looks good, will you be able to close the manual valve?

jim48 05-30-2014 08:59 AM

That looks really nice Porthole. I'm on my second RDS tank, this one is 60 gallons. So with my 40 gallon stock tank I do can do about 1,000 miles pulling or 1,800 miles empty. However to leave a little reserve I fill every 750 miles when towing.

I use an Airtex pump, 12V. shutoff valve, AuotMeter fuel gauge and Wix water filter/water separator. All of my appliances are mounted under the bed. RDS are the nicest people to deal with, great tech advice when you need them.

Now you can spend less time waiting in line to fuel up, and take advantage of lower priced fuel when you find it.

Happy travels!!!!

Jim

StanleyZ 05-30-2014 10:03 AM

I have a similar set up but I'm using a straight gravity feed. That worked well in my 08 but the first time I filled the auxiliary the main stock ford tank leaked from somewhere. I tried it after the aux was down to half and it worked fine. This time I pumped 60 gallon (about 75 % full) and no leak. So I don't knw what is up with that.

Anyway, is the selenoid working as an ON/OFF switch for a gravity feed system? Or is it a pump? either way I may copy it. Thanks

Sgt93 05-30-2014 11:02 AM

That's some serious fuel capacity you have there Duane. The thought of the fuel bill makes me cringe!

sdetweil 05-30-2014 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sgt93 (Post 14391782)
... The thought of the fuel bill makes me cringe!

its either $100 each time or $400 fewer times. same result in the end.

Divide planned miles by 10 then multiply by 4 for fuel cost estimate.
if you can beat $4/gallon, then you make out

Sgt93 05-30-2014 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by sdetweil (Post 14391854)
its either $100 each time or $400 fewer times. same result in the end.

I know, I know; it is still a painful thought.

jdadamsjr 05-30-2014 01:00 PM

Pay with a credit card, then it's not 'real' money !

until the EOM :)

acf6 05-30-2014 01:42 PM

very clean install! ive been eyeing that same fuel tank

sdetweil 05-30-2014 01:48 PM

I have been looking for an aux tank too.. go the other way, have 38, want 60 more.

so far all the tanks suck up 20 inches of floorspace. found a 70gal with the other profile. 10 inches of floor space, but too tall to put the bed cover back on.

I didn't like the idea of an electronic valve, but I guess its not so bad, your install is really clean.

jim48 05-30-2014 07:21 PM

I used RDS gravity feed setup with last RDS tank, on my 04 6.0. It always worked just fine. However, this time I got a little fancier with quicker transfer using the Airtex pump, and I monitor the aux tank with AutoMeter fuel gauge on left corner of my dash. I really love this setup. Two fuel stops for me Kansas to California.

Happy travels!!

Jim

WK15 05-30-2014 11:54 PM

Very nice tank install. I did the ALUMINUM TANK AND TANK (AT80R) with a Freedom Fill Auxiliary System. It is very similar to yours. I get about 1600 miles to a fill up with a total of 117-gallons of fuel. I use the stock long bed tank at 37-gallons and the 80-gallon in the bed tank.

Aux Tanks are a great investment in my opinion.

There is a lot of useful information of this forum for Aux Tanks.

Freedom Fill Auxiliary System

porthole 05-31-2014 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by djousma (Post 14391222)
Looks good. Too bad you couldnt have plumbed that solenoid under the bed for a cleaner look. 105 gallons. wow about a 1000 mile range when towing, 1800 or so empty.

I'd love more capacity, but dont do enough long haul driving that I'd worry about the fuel in a large capacity tank getting stale/algae, etc.

Dave, there is not enough room under the bed. The Tee that goes inline with the filler hose has a rollover valve on top. That valve has about 1/16" of clearance between it and the bed.

The way I installed it allows for me to remove the solenoid from the top after disconnecting the fuel line in the event of failure.

Originally Posted by turbo347frd (Post 14391246)
Looks good, will you be able to close the manual valve?

Yes, I can reach it when standing on the Bully step. I will leave it closed most of the time, just open up for travel.
That's my plan anyway, and it may change next week.

Originally Posted by jim48 (Post 14391491)
That looks really nice Porthole. I'm on my second RDS tank, this one is 60 gallons. So with my 40 gallon stock tank I do can do about 1,000 miles pulling or 1,800 miles empty. However to leave a little reserve I fill every 750 miles when towing.

I use an Airtex pump, 12V. shutoff valve, AuotMeter fuel gauge and Wix water filter/water separator. All of my appliances are mounted under the bed. RDS are the nicest people to deal with, great tech advice when you need them.

Now you can spend less time waiting in line to fuel up, and take advantage of lower priced fuel when you find it.

Jim, taking advantage of fuel price is the main reason. We live in Jersey, and within our travels Jersey typically has the least expensive fuel. Just north of us in NY fuel quickly jumps 30-40 cents a gallon.
Plus, where I work we have had 2 stations doing price wars reminiscent of the 70's. These 2 stations have been selling diesel 30-40 cents a gallon then all the other stations and no CC charge.

Over the winter I my go the route you did and add a pump along with some filtering capability and do plan on adding the fuel gauge.

I just bought an Airtex pump to make my 14 gallon fuel tote (gas for the RV generator) a little easier to use when I can't use gravity. Nice an quiet pump.

The 100-110 gallons total mean for 90% of our travels I can fill up before I hook up and re-fuel after we get home.

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 14391643)
Anyway, is the selenoid working as an ON/OFF switch for a gravity feed system? Or is it a pump? either way I may copy it. Thanks

On-off for gravity feed only (at this time) I'm using an up-fitter, so it is only on when I want it and when the key is on.
That is another reason for adding the valve, allows me to fill the tank and not have any issues with potential leaks

Done right it shouldn't leak - but **** happens.

Originally Posted by Sgt93 (Post 14391782)
That's some serious fuel capacity you have there Duane. The thought of the fuel bill makes me cringe!

Yeah it does, and stations that have $75 CC limits get to be a drag too.

Originally Posted by sdetweil (Post 14391854)

Every time my wife says lets go here or there I start by taking the total mileage, divide by 10, multiply by 4, just to get an idea on expenses.

Originally Posted by sdetweil (Post 14392273)
so far all the tanks suck up 20 inches of floorspace. found a 70gal with the other profile. 10 inches of floor space, but too tall to put the bed cover back on.

I didn't like the idea of an electronic valve, but I guess its not so bad, your install is really clean.

This tank is 20" like you mention, but, it fits under my toolbox which was my goal.

sdetweil 05-31-2014 12:11 PM

Thanks Duane.. I don't have a toolbox (yet)..

if I have to eat 20 inches of bed floor space, then I'll do the toolbox tank.. get SOME storage out of it at least.