Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum249/)
-   -   Injectors and cost (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1316703-injectors-and-cost.html)

Ninja380 05-26-2014 02:45 AM

Injectors and cost

Hi guys,

I'm trying to be an active member but excuse me if this seems like a dumb question

I have a Toyota crazed mate, telling me im wasting my time even thinking about buying an f250.

I asked why, He told me he was in a mechanic's shop, and they had a f250 7.3 in there, the mechanic asked him to guess how much the injectors where.

Apparently $12000?

Does that seem like a tall tail, I've looked at many f250s on car sales that say $5000 injectors or $8000 injectors or upgraded to 90hp injectors

I'd like to know Why do the injectors fail? and what to do if they fail or does it mean if they fail the engine is up for a rebuild?
what is the reason for upgrades? (if they havent failed)

Aussie BrianB 05-26-2014 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ninja380 (Post 14378961)
Hi guys,

I'm trying to be an active member but excuse me if this seems like a dumb question

I have a Toyota crazed mate, telling me im wasting my time even thinking about buying an f250.

I asked why, He told me he was in a mechanic's shop, and they had a f250 7.3 in there, the mechanic asked him to guess how much the injectors where.

Apparently $12000?

Does that seem like a tall tail, I've looked at many f250s on car sales that say $5000 injectors or $8000 injectors or upgraded to 90hp injectors

I'd like to know Why do the injectors fail? and what to do if they fail or does it mean if they fail the engine is up for a rebuild?
what is the reason for upgrades? (if they havent failed)

This should answer the cost question mate.

Ford - 99-03 Super Duty 7.3L - Fuel System & Related - Full Force Diesel Injectors - Riffraff Diesel Performance

ozdatman 05-26-2014 10:26 AM

I wouldn't be going to that mechanic.

BigF350 05-26-2014 10:43 AM

Injectors go eventually on any diesel. Most 7.3's should see between 350-500k km on their injectors before they need replacement depending on the quality of the fuel used. If the injectors are on their way out, the rest of the engine doesn't need a rebuild.

The cost you quoted would be buying the injectors from a Ford dealer - they are stupidly expensive from them. With a few exceptions, most parts are crazily overpriced from Ford dealers, but often quite cheap if sourced from the US.

In general, don't believe a lot of crap that most people tell you about F-Series, even if its a well versed diesel mechanic, most of them got their understanding from "friends of friends, who once knew someone who had one, and he got 25l/100km and had to change the transmission out every 500km".

Aussie BrianB 05-26-2014 08:58 PM

Ninja,
Mate, your die hard Toyota mate will probably never be convinced but I can speak from experience.

I have a 1996 80 series. I had a brand new 1HZ crate motor installed,
with a new turbo charger and fully reconditioned fuel pump and
new 3" exhaust system about 80,000 kms back.
Spent close to $30,000 all up! :eek:
The aim was to have a reliable truck to tow my 3 tonne caravan.

The cruiser did do OK but I had to keep a close eye on the EGT gauge
and it was still hard work climbing hills.

The brand new LSD in the back ate its bearings at 70,000kms.:-arrgh

Now I have the F250 I would never go back.

It is more comfortable, feels much more stable with the van on the back
and hauls it effortlessly, I have to keep checking the speedo, I can find
myself hauling the van along at over 110kms without realising it!:-X22

And it has much more room to carry gear than the cruiser.

The fuel consumption of the F250 is not much different from the
cruiser when it had the van on.

My wife drives it and also finds it much better than the Toyota.

Thats my two cents worth.:-X22

Ninja380 05-27-2014 12:18 AM

Well thanks again for the replies, not long now, just waiting on some invoices to be paid and hopefully the right truck comes up at the right price.

Ninja380 05-27-2014 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by BigF350 (Post 14379533)
Injectors go eventually on any diesel. Most 7.3's should see between 350-500k km on their injectors before they need replacement depending on the quality of the fuel used. If the injectors are on their way out, the rest of the engine doesn't need a rebuild.

The cost you quoted would be buying the injectors from a Ford dealer - they are stupidly expensive from them. With a few exceptions, most parts are crazily overpriced from Ford dealers, but often quite cheap if sourced from the US.

In general, don't believe a lot of crap that most people tell you about F-Series, even if its a well versed diesel mechanic, most of them got their understanding from "friends of friends, who once knew someone who had one, and he got 25l/100km and had to change the transmission out every 500km".

I couldn't agree more, everyone who has told me not to get 'what ever car it may be' has never owned one.

I find it is good to hear what every one thinks, doesn't mean they are wrong, just dont need to agree with them.

ozdatman 05-27-2014 02:13 AM

If you get a Ford with an IDI you can get a set of brand new injectors for about $350.

Brad from Oz 05-27-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie BrianB (Post 14379048)

Gee that's a great price for HEUI injectors, I bet the jackaroo guys wish they could get them that cheap.

Sounds like a similar story for the F trucks as the Jackaroo owners, from the dealer you just get shanked or ignored and most guys have got their own diagnostic gear from China and they get their OEM spares out of Dubai for a very reasonable price. And a very good bunch of knowledgeable folk online too :-jammin.

BigF350 05-27-2014 01:06 PM

The issue that Brad mentions is probably the best thing about the F-Series. Because of the volume of trucks sold in the US, part sourcing from there is relatively cheap and easy (even in comparison to much more common Nissan's/Toyota's).

Honestly, the only vehicle I would ever consider close to an F-Series for most people is a 1-HDT powered 80 series (the direct mechanical injected and turbocharged version of their 4.2 diesel). All the other locally available options in my opinion have compromises, whether its poor engine choices (every Nissan and most Toyota's), independent front suspension (every light ute), poor carrying capacity (every 4x4 wagon). The only other half decent option (again, my opinion) is the Isuzu powered Defenders - but they are all 30 years old, and have had the snot beaten out of them by now, not to mention they certainly don't offer the level of comfort an F-Series does.

ChunderDownUnder 05-27-2014 03:04 PM

omg. the amount of myths I hear about our trucks from people that dont know. If I had a dollar. :). Get a Effie you wont look back. You can fix just about anything on these things yourself with the help form all on this site. So you will save ya self heaps.

Diesel Submariner 05-27-2014 08:54 PM

MYTH BUSTERS

Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder (Post 14383089)
omg. the amount of myths I hear about our trucks from people that dont know. If I had a dollar. :). Get a Effie you wont look back. You can fix just about anything on these things yourself with the help form all on this site. So you will save ya self heaps.

Ditto,

I've also done the Tojo, PooTrol, Landy thing in previous lives.

The F-Truck beats them all into submission. I load heavy, tow heavy and travel some serious rough outback roads. Never been let down.

Like the other fellas on here I have heard it all from those claiming to have knowledge about the dramas with the F series.
It's also worth noting that to try and scotch any of their unfounded knowledge is met with utter scepticism. They've never owned one, but claim know more about them than us that do ... go figure.

Very easy to work on, very easy to get parts (keep away from Ford Stealerships), even easier to get the incurable *MOD BUG*.

Get one study this forum and ask.
NOTE: There is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers from self promoted experts.

Cheers,
Reg

Nkelly 05-28-2014 05:20 AM

Nothing worse on the Planet is a BS spuing Toyota wanka..

Good mate of mine is a Toyota tool,let him have a drive of my Ftruck,now he thinks Toyota aint that flash :)

But the best one was 18 months ago I come across another T T ( Toyota tool) mouthing off about my Ftruck at the above mates barby, and what a useless big heap it was,so I invited him to a little 1/4 drag,lets say the V8 cruiser had a bit of trouble keeping up with the big Ftruck,cruiser disappeared in a big cloud of black smoke :)

When I first bought my Ftruck ninja I knew absolutely nothing about em,and now I know everything about em,even replaced a set of injector cups and new injector seals..

You cant go wrong here in these forums and your parts from clay (riffraff)
you save a fortune,JUST ASK..we'll steer you in the right direction...

SSSimon 05-28-2014 06:20 AM

+1 to all of the above.

The effie will only bite you if you play dumb, take no interest in it, and expect mechanics to work on it for you and buy your parts from a Ford dealership.

If you take an interest, the effie will reward you big time. The 7.3 has a huge following Stateside, and there is nothing you can't buy and ship over to keep your truck in good shape - & cheaper to keep on the road than any other 4WD that I've experienced.

I had a Landcruiser before the Effie too. Tow heavy and 25 L/100K, couldn't even drive past a servo without having to fill up. With the effie I can tow heavy at 110 on the freeway, feel safer, more stable, and be using 10L per 100k less than the LC.

The forum here, and the US 1999-2003 site has the knowledge to tackle any problem!

Ninja380 05-28-2014 07:34 AM

thanks again guys, im considering fiance to speed up the purchase. I cant believe that game of origin.....
Yep back to f trucks, yeh i got most of the cash its the typlical. got 30.000 spend 2,000 got 28,000 earn 5,000 spend 3, got 30 spend 1, got 29 earn 5 spend 4..... rar!!!
saving is difficult ( is the kiddy for the f truck.. be it the f truck fund)