Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   steering stabilizers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1316066-steering-stabilizers.html)

ford truck guy11 05-22-2014 09:03 AM

steering stabilizers

Is anyone running after market steering stabilizers on their F-350?? Do they make a big difference ?

MC5C 05-22-2014 09:27 AM

I have a Bilstien on my truck, made a tiny difference in steering feel. Just made it feel a bit smoother. Had zero effect on the wobble under braking that I had at that time, if that is what you are after.

Brian

speakerfritz 05-22-2014 09:40 AM

I have rancho's dual stabilizers.....and they madea big difference....but I have to admit, theres probally the begining of some fundamental underlying problem like bearings or rod ends going south that the stabilizers are mitiagating. May be less of a wow factor if the front end was in tip top shape.

ford truck guy11 05-22-2014 10:33 AM

I have a new 2015 F-350 and tow a 15,000# fifth wheel . . I have only used it once for towing , but it felt like I was always correcting myself... maybe a bit too touchy ?? no vibration or shaking... just a bit of wandering here and there . . it also does it not towing .

nojoke327 05-22-2014 12:32 PM

These trucks will wonder a lot with the ruts on the highway. Try going from an 11" to a 12.5" tire;)

dmallen 05-22-2014 12:34 PM

I went to 13.5" tires and I was constantly correcting left and right. However, after adding the steering stabilizers I hardly have to correct at all. What an awesome mod!

Joe Bloomingdale 05-24-2014 05:46 PM

When I went up to 37" tires I thought I had a stabilizer problem, turned out the ball joints were shot. After replacing them the truck tracks much better and all of the wobble is gone, some of the strange noises I had went away too.

johndeerefarmer 07-25-2014 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dmallen (Post 14370348)
I went to 13.5" tires and I was constantly correcting left and right. However, after adding the steering stabilizers I hardly have to correct at all. What an awesome mod!

Which dual stabilizers did you use?

Field Truck 07-25-2014 09:49 PM

Assuming the front end is stock,tight and professionally aligned which my f350 was, addon stablizer/dampener stopped my road walk. Also dropped front psi to 65 running stock size tires.

ford truck guy11 08-13-2014 07:16 AM

I think I was experiencing wander due to tire tread flex.... I now have 5,000 miles on it and everything is perfect... I remembered my tire guy telling me some time ago about it... HE told me that sometimes tires flex till they get broken in , and some do it more,,, while some don't do it at all....

AAubinoe 08-13-2014 11:28 AM

With steering stabilizers, I find the stock replacement ones do just fine. You can replace it more often for the same cost as the fancy ones.

I just put a Monroe stabilizer on and it feels awesome, but then again the one I took off was original with 200k miles :D

A/Ox4 08-13-2014 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ford truck guy11 (Post 14369704)
Is anyone running after market steering stabilizers on their F-350?? Do they make a big difference ?

Well, it depends what you're expecting the stabilizer to fix. A lot of people ask too much of their stabilizers. Worn joints and bushings need replacing not a bandaid. These are often cases like death wobble. A steering stabilizer or lower tire pressure may "fix" the problem, but you have not addressed the root cause.

That said, there are natural phenomenon that cause bump steer, the real reason for stabilizers.

For example, when one wheel experiences a sudden dip or jolt, it is going to try to turn the wheel that way, because the wheel wants to keep rolling forward not sideways and will try to turn to accomidate that sudden change. A steering stabilizer, or damper as they are sometimes called, is used to reduce this tendance and resist sudden jolts in the steering.

I had a factory stabilizer on my truck, which leaked for a week then stopped. I assume it was empty.

I replaced it with a BDS dual stabilizer kit. I chose the kit due to several factory. The factor with the heaviest weight was cost but close behind was ease of install. I liked that it was a simple kit. There was a small hitch in installing it but that's not a big deal.

End result was, yes, I absolutely noticed a difference. Quite a difference, especially off road.

Attachment 103887

VindexInjuriae 08-14-2014 09:27 AM

I went from no stabilizer to the dual Rancho stabilizer. Yes, I noticed a difference - pretty much cured the bumpsteer I was experiencing. Worthwhile investment IMO.

johndeerefarmer 08-14-2014 01:26 PM

Bumpsteer is the only reason that I want one for my '15.

VindexInjuriae 08-14-2014 01:30 PM

I haven't driven a 15, but I'd venture to say it would help your issue. It was around $150 for the kit on rock auto, if I remember correctly. Not a big deal to install either.