Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   want brighter headlights (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1315501-want-brighter-headlights.html)

ultrasks700 05-19-2014 05:50 AM

want brighter headlights

Looking for some brighter than stock headlight bulbs. I do NOT want HIDS! Think they look childish on a vehicle that does not come with them stock. So anyone had any good luck with any? PIAA? I know they sell a much at autozone too. just wanna see what people have had luck with...

02TB250 05-19-2014 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by ultrasks700 (Post 14359648)
Looking for some brighter than stock headlight bulbs. I do NOT want HIDS! Think they look childish on a vehicle that does not come with them stock. So anyone had any good luck with any? PIAA? I know they sell a much at autozone too. just wanna see what people have had luck with...

There have been some that have tried lifetime LEDs and had fairly good success with them. Depending on vehicle, I would try just re aiming the housings. Sometimes you can get enough light to make yourself happy with it. Other then that there are silverstars or piaa extremes.

I've tried both and they're still abysmal, which is why I went and had projectors retrofitted into 05 hd housings. Depending on what your meaning of "HIDs" was wether you meant just putting them in the factory reflector housing or actually going the factory esk route and installing projectors. Look up lightwerkz, black flame customs, and blackbird lighting. They all do this work and have some pretty good factory looking results.

eberlestock 05-19-2014 09:31 AM

A headlight brightener kit will help a bit. I think painless wiring sells them. It puts a relay close to the headlights to get full electrical power to them It will make a much bigger difference than piaa bulbs which make a barely noticeable difference. I wish I had an outfit in Canada that did projector retrofits!

IslandBlueV10 05-19-2014 08:16 PM

I used to have Sylvania ultra silverstars, they were a good upgrade over stock. Then Sylvania came out with the Sylvania XZE. They are much brighter and whiter on low beams great coverage, but on high beams it seems diffused. Most time I am only using low beams anyway. I have been looking at a Brite Box, which allows you to leave the low beams and fog lights on when the high beams are used.

bryyce62 05-20-2014 08:55 AM

Regardless of their look, HID's (done properly) are going to give you the best lighting upgrade. Once you see the difference from inside the cab, looking out, you'll agree. HID's turned my '13's weak headlight output to lighting up the night. I'm a Black Flames Customs happy customer. I could link to my retrofit job if anyone is interested.

brian42 05-20-2014 02:56 PM

I put Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in my housings and installed a harness from GOS Racing. It is a noticeable improvement and was enough to make me happy.

The Masked Rider 06-08-2014 08:18 PM

Bhryyce62, I'll bet you don't spoil that friend of yours setting there, do you? Looks like a great friend.

acf6 06-09-2014 07:02 AM

I just ordered LED headlights for my truck. Im not a fan of HIDs at all

02TB250 06-09-2014 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by acf6 (Post 14416370)
I just ordered LED headlights for my truck. Im not a fan of HIDs at all

Lifetime LEDs?

acf6 06-09-2014 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by 02TB250 (Post 14416374)
Lifetime LEDs?

Yes. .