Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Ford truck brake controller (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1315287-ford-truck-brake-controller.html)

stan'37 05-17-2014 06:47 PM

Ford truck brake controller

I want to put a trailer brake controller in my 05 Ford. Does any one know if it has under dash connections for the controller. I don't see anything am I missing them? there is a plug near the back bumper. That tells me something should be up front. Any thoughts? Stan

paddler65 05-17-2014 07:43 PM

hello
I have an 05 f350 with a built brake controller.
I get no voltage out of pin 4 which is the battery charging pin to the trailer on the 7 pin connector.
I do get reading at the other pins.

im doing the check with a voltmeter.
what can I check why im not getting a reading at pin 4.
thanks

WE3ZS 05-17-2014 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by stan'37 (Post 14356084)
I want to put a trailer brake controller in my 05 Ford. Does any one know if it has under dash connections for the controller. I don't see anything am I missing them? there is a plug near the back bumper. That tells me something should be up front. Any thoughts? Stan

On my '05 EX there was a grey plug wire tied to the dash frame up behind the radio that the patch cable from Tekonsha plugged right into then into the brake controller. My EX is more like the '04 trucks so I'm not possitive if the plug color or location was changed with the SD changes in'05.

WE3ZS 05-17-2014 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by paddler65 (Post 14356224)
hello
I get no voltage out of pin 4 which is the battery charging pin to the trailer on the 7 pin connector.

thanks

You will get more attention and have a better chance of good answers if you post your question in it's own thread in either the SuperDuty forum or the Trailering Forum, trailer wiring isn't specific to the V-10.
Good luck!

asdrew 05-18-2014 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by stan'37 (Post 14356084)

The aftermarket brake controller connections are behind the driver's side drop down storage tray thingy and labeled. Squeeze the sides to hinge it down and dig around in there. I don't recall the specifics, but that is where I hooked up mine.

And yes, one of the other sections is a better place for info rather than this V10 area.

V10man 05-18-2014 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by paddler65 (Post 14356224)
hello

thanks

Make sure the key is on. There is a relay and a fuse for the BAT + for the trailer. Check those as well.

eberlestock 05-19-2014 09:43 AM

I have an 06 that has the trailer brake controller wiring sitting in the glovebox. It has a plug in connector with the wires that connect to the controller. I presume under the dash there is a factory plug that this just plugs into? My 08 F150 had this and it was simple to hook up a controller.

asdrew 05-19-2014 09:53 AM

Yes, it gets plugged in where I was indicating behind the drop down box thingy.