Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum171/)
-   -   Diesel as daily driver (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1313396-diesel-as-daily-driver.html)

Bml325 05-06-2014 04:50 PM

Diesel as daily driver

I am looking to get a f250 in the next 6 to 12 months. I want a diesel but I don't think my driving habits would be good for a diesel. I am more interested in the mechanical aspects for problems, durability that sort of stuff. I don't want to take into account initial purchase, cost of fuel, cost oil changes, cost of urea. I just want to know mechanically if I am asking for trouble with a diesel from my driving style. I currently have a 2007 suburban z71 that I average 11 to 13mpg on my driving habits.

I drive about 20,000 miles per year. I currently don't have anything to tow but will be getting a boat in the next year or so will probably weigh between 6,000 and 10,000lbs. During the week I do a lot of city driving I might drive 15 mins shut down, drive 30 mins shut down, sometimes drive 20 mins idle for 10 mins drive 10 mins idle 20 mins. That sort of running errands, take kids to school, pick kids up in car line, wait while wife runs into store... I can drive 10 miles one day 60 miles the next all in town. Weekends I will drive on highway for a good 40 to 50 mins at speeds from 60 to 80mph,shut down then drive 40 mins back. And I live in Florida so the idling is mandatory to keep AC going. I have heard that is not good for modern diesels. Also a few times a year take longer 2 to 4 hour drives for vacation.

When I do get a boat it will be trailered most of the time 30 to 40 mins away going around 60mph. Or 40 mins away going 70mph. Then a few times a year from central FL down to south FL 3 to 4 hours at 65 to 75mph.

I want a diesel so I can see 18 mpg instead of the 12 mpg I see now. But if I am asking for trouble with city driving and idling I can put up with 13 or 14mpg in the 6.2l.

AlaskanF350 05-09-2014 06:39 PM

If trying to save $$ on the fuel consumption...

you ain't going to

here the price of Diesel is $4.19 compared to reg unlead at 3.57

it costs at lot more for me to drive my truck than a smaller vehicle

But I do love my truck

and I'm averaging (empty) 15-16 mpg now that can use #2 rather than #1 fuel

Chris
North Pole

Bml325 05-09-2014 07:07 PM

I know with cost of maintenance and cost of fuel getting only 15 to 18 mpg in diesel I will loose money vs gas at 12 to 15 mpg.

I am probably just going to get the gas, but I really want the diesel.

Schlava 05-09-2014 10:09 PM

Any one of us could give you an opinion the length of a book. I believe it's this simple. Get the vehicle that every time you want or have to drive you can't wait to get in it. When you driving it you love it and never second guess your decision. Mine is a daily driver and only pulls a 6k toy hauler. You'll never win trying to beat the gas game. I wouldn't get ride of my diesel for anything. I'm ear to ear smiles every time I drive mine.

tjc transport 05-10-2014 08:09 AM

around town stop and go driving my diesel only gets 12-14 mpg. out on the highway long haul with cruise set at 65 it will get 17-19 mpg.
but 90% of my driving in in town. the gas powered truck gets better around town mileage, so that is what i have been driving lately because gas is 50 cents per gallon cheaper than diesel.

AlaskanF350 05-10-2014 11:59 AM

With my truck; I got leg room, head room, can get in and out with folding myself up and ducking into a confined space.

that's got to account for more than a few pennies in fuel cost...

not to mention the extra traction and mobility in the "bad" weather monthes here in the North Pole.

Chris

Mr.Nobody 07-03-2014 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bml325 (Post 14333722)
I know with cost of maintenance and cost of fuel getting only 15 to 18 mpg in diesel I will loose money vs gas at 12 to 15 mpg.

I am probably just going to get the gas, but I really want the diesel.

I bought a diesel Excursion, not because I need it, but because I wanted it. I'm thrifty and generally try to not spend money, and I don't really have any hobbies, so now I have an big fancy car to dump money into.

The idling is mostly rough on the veritable geometry turbo, but I'm pretty new to modern diesels, so there may be more to it then that.

Did you end up with the diesel?

Bml325 07-03-2014 04:40 PM

I haven't gotten anything yet. It will be an F250 for sure. I will probably wait till march when I get irs refund and pay off suburban to keep as family car.

The idea of diesel sounds cool and like I said next year I'll get a boat about 8000 to 10000 lbs. and my brother in law has an enclosed trailer that empty weights 7000lbs with cargo holding of additional 5000lbs. So a few times a year I'll tow 12000lbs which I know the gas can handle but diesel would do better.

I am just worried about idling 20 mins a day if that messes up the turbo or I get cylinder blow by after a few years.

The best thing reading all the message boards is when people say save the $8000 up charge to diesel. A 2015 gas is only max $2000 less than a 2014 diesel.

texastech_diesel 07-09-2014 10:11 PM

I put 60k on a 6.0 as a DD with a 7 mile each way trip to work. For the last two years before he retired, my dad used his 6.0 to drive about 3/4 of a mile each way to work in the same town. He would idle it on each end to warm it up longer than his round trip took. In the summer I'm up to full operating temps in a few miles, in the winter I use a grille cover and it only takes a few extra miles to warm it up, and I just jump in and go easy on it versus idling it forever. It's really no different than running a gasser except for being easier on it the first few miles and watching the EGTs before I shut it down. I wouldn't consider 20 minutes of idling significant at all, unless there's that weird idle shutdown deal on the new trucks that might turn it off on you.

If you get a new one, the common rail injection removes a lot of the cold start issues by taking oil out of the fuel system. You'd get the same wear and tear on cold starts in a gasser as in a 6.7, and you can put in 0W40 or 5W40 in a diesel (someone should check me with the book on the 6.7 to make sure that's ok still :-X03 ) and get the same effect as 5w20 or 0W20 in the 6.2. If you can get manual regen control and can burn out the DPF if you take a longer trip, I don't really see all that many issues with either motor in a Super Duty.

Bml325 07-10-2014 06:12 AM

Thanks for the info. My parents neighbor is a doctor and he has a 2008, I guess a 6.4l. He only drives 15 to 20 mins to hospital and back each day, tows his brother in laws 5,000 lbs boat once or twice a year only, nothing else. He drives it a little longer on the weekends. And takes road trips a few times a year and hasn't had any issues at all with his truck. He basically drives it like a car. He is 6'4" from Texas, I asked why he didn't get a car. He gave me a funny look and said, I don't drive cars.

WoundedVet 07-10-2014 07:27 PM

Trust me, you'll love the feel of the diesel. Someone else said it, but I look forward to driving my vehicle all the time--even if not very far.

Driver Jim 07-20-2014 11:00 PM

Excessive curb idling is the number one killer of injectors. That's the reason just sitting around at 600~ RPM is bad for the engine.

There is hope yet young Padawan!

My dad had a 2000 F350 with the PS. We discovered a programmed 'fast idle' that kicks the engine up to 1000 RPM, but it only did it when cold. It was tied into the Park Brake of all things.

So, here's what you do:

Ask the dealer to reflash the ECM on purchase to put a 'fast idle' program in the computer. It's usually tied into the Cruise Control and Park Brake. To use: Set Park Brake; Turn Cruise On; Press/Hold Resume depending on which settings Ford uses. Engine RPMs come up, making the injectors happy. They last longer, making you happy as the only way to get to them on the newer trucks is to take the cab off.

Plus you won't roast as your A/C will be nice and cold as the fans cycle.

madjak 05-14-2015 09:58 AM

I have used mine mostly commuting to work, my longest commute was 175 miles a day. Did that for a year and a half. Also pull a horse trailer occasionally.
The 7.3 IMO is by far the most reliable diesel and requires the least maintenance.
I have 240000 miles on it and miss some of the amenities the newer ones have but I could not justify the expense, poorer mileage and high manitenance cost and I still enjoy every mile I drive in it.

Rbborek 05-23-2015 08:21 PM

We have driven our Excursion since 2001 in all situations and have no complaints - we love our truck. We have a 7.3 l Turbo liter diesel that my husband always adds Diesel Booster / cleaner after every fill up. We also bought a K& M Air Intake 57-2530 and it really helped with our mileage. It really bothers us though that Diesel Fuel is so expensive when it is the fuel that takes the least processing to create. The comfort of the larger truck has been helpful over the years since I care for 2 handicapped people as well.
Renee

Renee

Renee

madjak 05-24-2015 08:11 AM

Welcome to FTE!

Diesel fuel has really skyrocketed in the last month or two in Texas...from 234.9 to 278.9 yesterday. Summer always brings higher fuel prices when people will be traveling. I have used Diesel Kleen in mine just about every time I fill up and
get pretty good mileage, around 17 mpg average.