Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   04 F150 FX4 10 years later (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1310729-04-f150-fx4-10-years-later.html)

mrshark 04-21-2014 08:40 PM

04 F150 FX4 10 years later

so I have had my FX4 for almost 10 years now. I have an xtra cab, bought new summer 2004 in Connecticut. Bought it had 5 miles on odometer, as of today has almost 117k miles. We just relocated this past weekend from CT to Manatee County, Florida, my wife followed me down in her 2010 Escape. Both trucks ran perfect..easy driving cruise control on 70 most of the way except for VA where there seemed to be a state trooper every 5 miles :-hair

anyway so overall I am satisfied with my truck since I've owned it. Changed oil every 4000-4500 miles without fail, 5-20 Motorcraft semi synthetic and FL-820 S filter is all it has ever seen. Engine doesnt burn/leak a drop of oil. As far as maintenace items and repairs, I looked through my records, here's what I've done:

1) rear axle rebuilt under warranty, clutch packs were shot at 60k.
2) brakes/rotors all around at about 50k, they still as of now have plenty of meat left
3) pinion seal went at about 90k
4) fly wheel had to be replaced at about 95k that was an expensive repair
5) replaced both front window regulators
6) replaced sliding rear window, under warranty, was leaking badly.
7) idler pulley replacement
8) exhaust rotted from just in front of muffler to tailpipe, replaced.

Also was told before we left CT that front coil spring was broken? I don't know about that truck suspension seems fine but will have it looked at.

also normal maintenance did tranny flush 4x so far, fuel filter 4x so far, on 3rd set of tires, came with BFG rugged terrain, replaced at 62k with TOYO open country, they lasted 40k, now have Goodyear Wrangler LT's, so far excellent. Air filters, a light bulb here and there, and replaced battery after 6 years just to do it.

have NOT changed the plugs yet :-down:-down:-down:-down truck does run great but I know what can and probably will happen, I feel comfortable with a dealer doing it, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do it. I will have a little bit of a commute to work here, so I will probably get a ford Fiesta or a focus for the drive, but no way am I getting rid of this truck!

CaptFX4 04-21-2014 09:25 PM

Congrats on a great decade with your truck. Sounds like many more great years to come. My story is similar, got my 05 end of April 9 years ago with 3 miles on it. She's still a baby with only 71K miles. Religious oil changes every 3K, fuel filter every other oil change, 2nd set of brakes and tires (3rd set tires going on soon with new wheels).

Biggest issue I had was pax exhaust manifold was bad. While they were in there had the plugs changed. Original battery quit 2 months ago but other than that she's been a great truck.

Good luck in the future.

db_tanker 04-22-2014 04:17 AM

my XLT was bought with about 8 on the odo in 2005....closing in on that 10 year mark. :)

now 126000 later she rests a bit as we carpool in our 2013 Escape.

one tune up/100k svc, one tranny service (filter and B&M tranny pan) and one tranny fluid dump) and all the oil changes at the dealer at 4-5k intervals.

I luv mah baby. :)

sinnedam 04-28-2014 03:57 PM

I dream of a situation where i could own a vehicle for 10 years and only put that many miles on it. I bought my 05 in 2010 with 59k and already have it up to 137k. I have a long commute. hoping i get 250K out of mine. :)

aquaman 04-29-2014 12:10 AM

I have 90K original miles on mine. I've been driving my F350 quite a lot instead for long-distance family trips since it's also bigger and roomier now that my 2 boys are as big as me. They complain the F150 is crampy. LOL

The only things I've done are:
- MC oil every 3500-4Kmiles
- 2nd set of brake pads
- tranny flush at 30K, probably overdue for another one
- coolant flush at 50K, probably due for another one soon
- swapped out the plugs at 60K. No hassles with broken pieces, fortunately
- usual air and fuel filter changes
- on my 2nd battery
- one burned out taillight
- new set of Michelin AT/LT2 tires around 60K. Which BTW dropped my mpgs by about 1-1.5mpg consistently
- modded the fog lights to stay on with the high beams so I can see better when it's pitch dark outside

annoyances
- weird tranny thunk at 20mph under load uphill. Could never replicate for the dealer while under warranty.
- driver side window switch contacts burned out a couple of times. I fixed it myself by opening up the module and cleaning the contacts
- auto lamps don't work because the connector pin from the module that controls it on the back wall fried and melted that side of the connector
- odometer backlight has been burned out for the longest time, I can't remember
- just recently, my outside air temp sensor is going bad and reads at least 30-40F higher than it is

No external oil leaks, although it seems to have started burning about 1/2qt per oil change

Overall, it's been very good to me. No wildly expensive repairs, breakdowns or stranded situations yet. KNOCKING on WOOD!!!!

CaptFX4 04-29-2014 05:19 AM

- just recently, my outside air temp sensor is going bad and reads at least 30-40F higher than it is

I had a similar issue for a year. About 15 degrees high all the time. I finally caved and bought a new sensor at a local auto parts store for around $17. Problem solved.

tjcprop 04-30-2014 07:38 AM

My 2005 150 4.6 241000km is going strong but far from original. Had the plugs changed at 238000km without an issue. This truck is a daily drive work truck that tows trailer and plows snow.

mericanwit 05-09-2014 07:19 PM

I won't hit the big 10 years until September, have 149K miles on it and way too many, "issues," to list holding up I guess....

LACityFD 07-09-2014 05:25 PM

Bought my 2005 5.4 SCREW Lariat new with 6 miles on it. Now have around 180,000 and it's still going strong. Have done standard maintenance on it and have had to replace a few things here and there.

- Regular Oil Changes
- Regular flushes on all the systems when they come up
- Have replaced all of the rotors once.
- Seem to replace two tires every year. Just did two more this year.
- First set of plugs myself around 80,000 and broke three.
- Second set of plugs going in today by a shop. No time for me to do it these days.
- Replaced an alternator a few years ago
- Replaced serpentine belt

I'm burning oil somewhere (none on the ground) as quarts disappear between changes, so that may be some concern. Trying to pinpoint where from. Found this out the hard way about a year ago when my timing was off (powered by oil pressure) and the truck ran horribly. Found out I had 2 quarts left in a 7 quart system -- still seems weird to me -- since I had an oil change about 5,000 miles prior. I know I'm burning some at these miles, but not 5 quarts every 5,000 miles and have yet to encounter that issue again. My thoughts are somebody at Ford didn't fill me up completely after the last change.

I have the phaser tick like everyone and I've just learned to deal with it.

Other than that…can't really complain. Have really gotten my moneys worth with this baby.

gccch 07-10-2014 03:52 PM

My 04 is also 10 yrs old now. Bought in May of 04 with zero miles. I special ordered it. Super crew 2wd Lariat. I have had the rear axle rebuilt this year after the pinion leaked and the cover was leaking. Turned out to be a big problem as soon as I had the leaks addressed it began making noise. I have also replaced the front springs/struts so it rides like new (one spring was broken). 135k on it now and still on my third set of tires. Also replaced the front window regulators - actually lost count of how many of those have broken. I just had to do the passenger side again this week. Same break point each time. I wish they would have addressed that weakness.

Otherwise it's been brakes, oil, filters, and serpentine belt. Plugs once at 100k and only broke one.

Now, I am getting ready to do the cam phasers and timing guides. I have noise upon cold start and suspect the timing guides or tensioners may have failed. Today my CEL is on likely for mis fires and I hope I have no real damage but definitely concerned. I put a lot of highway miles on this one.

CaptFX4 07-10-2014 08:34 PM

Now, I am getting ready to do the cam phasers and timing guides. I have noise upon cold start and suspect the timing guides or tensioners may have failed. Today my CEL is on likely for mis fires and I hope I have no real damage but definitely concerned. I put a lot of highway miles on this one.[/QUOTE]

I had this as well, turned out to be the pax manifold exhaust was bad. Another issue with these trucks.

Can't hurt to check.

loveford47 07-10-2014 08:55 PM

Good job and congrats! Hope it can always going well.

HunterKen 07-11-2014 01:14 AM

My '04 Supercrew 4X4 has 220,000 km on it now. Getting a fresh splash of paint in August. No reason to get a new one. Putting a few bucks into it now & again beats paying 25k for a used or 40+ for a new truck.

gccch 07-18-2014 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by CaptFX4 (Post 14497903)
Now, I am getting ready to do the cam phasers and timing guides. I have noise upon cold start and suspect the timing guides or tensioners may have failed. Today my CEL is on likely for mis fires and I hope I have no real damage but definitely concerned. I put a lot of highway miles on this one.

I had this as well, turned out to be the pax manifold exhaust was bad. Another issue with these trucks.

Can't hurt to check.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, capt. I've decided to wait before going into the timing chain. I need to read up more on VCT and now the exhaust manifold. Never would have thought that could be this issue.

I get rough idle when cold, and the CEL has thrown one code for misfire then came on again but went out before I could check the code. It's been a few thousand highway miles since the noise came and went. Mileage is still good. Just changed the oil and it looks as good as any other time, just a few very small sparkly bits which I have seen every oil change I can remember.

What is the pax manifold exhaust anyway? Got to search that one.

CaptFX4 07-18-2014 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by gccch (Post 14517780)

Can't hurt to check.

Thanks, capt. I've decided to wait before going into the timing chain. I need to read up more on VCT and now the exhaust manifold. Never would have thought that could be this issue.

I get rough idle when cold, and the CEL has thrown one code for misfire then came on again but went out before I could check the code. It's been a few thousand highway miles since the noise came and went. Mileage is still good. Just changed the oil and it looks as good as any other time, just a few very small sparkly bits which I have seen every oil change I can remember.

What is the pax manifold exhaust anyway? Got to search that one.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I abbreviated that one. Passenger side exhaust manifold.