Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   2nd Gen Compressor Wheel (don't know what to think) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1309952-2nd-gen-compressor-wheel-dont-know-what-to-think.html)

bakerbuilttracks 04-17-2014 10:11 PM

Rich look above your first post and read through there one more time LOL !!!!! S&B with Dry Flow Filter

white Buffalo 04-17-2014 10:12 PM

Bakerbuilttracks, Right now your setup is reading the same boost that the PCM sees from the manifold called manifold gauge pressure. A boost fooler will tap into the line going to the MAP sensor and will make the PCM see 22 psi max to prevent the defueling even if true boost is above that. Without a boost fooler you will max out around 22 psi. Which isn't a bad thing since the stock turbo doesn't handle well over 27 in the long term.

Those that install a boost gauge will see the true boost instead of what the PCM is seeing.

Yep, it can be frustrating when folks talk about stock when the only thing stock is the tune called stock that might be a bit different from your original truck's PCM stock!

white Buffalo 04-17-2014 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks (Post 14272070)
Rich look above your first post and read through there one more time LOL !!!!! S&B with Dry Flow Filter

Ooooopppps!!!!!!

Thanks!

bakerbuilttracks 04-17-2014 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by white Buffalo (Post 14272071)
Bakerbuilttracks, Right now your setup is reading the same boost that the PCM sees from the manifold called manifold gauge pressure. A boost fooler will tap into the line going to the MAP sensor and will make the PCM see 22 psi max to prevent the defueling even if true boost is above that. Without a boost fooler you will max out around 22 psi. Which isn't a bad thing since the stock turbo doesn't handle well over 27 in the long term.

Those that install a boost gauge will see the true boost instead of what the PCM is seeing.

Yep, it can be gust rating when folks talk about stock when the only thing stock is the tune called stock that might be a bit different from your original truck's PCM stock!

So i understand installing the boost fooler and how it works. But if I'm throwing 25 actual psi why is the MAP not picking that up i guess is my question. For example ..... If the PCM's max for the turbo is lets say 20psi. When it gets close like 15 or 16 it slowly defuels allowing it not to reach 20. Or dose it let it climb to 20 then defuel like a blow off valve.

If it starts defueling before it can even reach 20 then i see why I'm seeing the #s i am. But if its the other way then i should be seeing 20. If that makes sense LOL:)

white Buffalo 04-17-2014 11:23 PM

Here's a link to a good video clip and some turbo info. Basically a wastegated turbo is going to start opening depending on the actuator spring & actuator diaphragm. Since you have a BD wastegate installed with 5 additional turns and the red line disconnected you can't compare it to stock.

IIRC the wastegate on a stock setup will open much earlier than 20 psi to prevent overboost.......but then PCM will take over and start to defuel if the boost (MAP minus Baro) goes over 22 psi.

7.3 Waste gate adjustment - YouTube

check out these PDF documents Robin posted.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...operation.html

edit: since you have the BD wastegate - reconnect the red line and reset the actuator to the original settings then adjust it from there. Your gonna have to go more than 3/4 throttle to see max boost, but keep in mind that without a boost fooler your max will be @ 22 psi.

white Buffalo 04-17-2014 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks (Post 14272135)
........... But if I'm throwing 25 actual psi why is the MAP not picking that up i guess is my question................

Your not going to make 25 psi right now. Not without a boost fooler. If I understand your questions correctly, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. the wastegate is controlled by a mechanical spring & diaphragm. The spring is set to a specific tension that must be overcome in order to open the wastegate. The red line will help overcome the spring tension when the boost gets too high.

2. If these two items cannot keep the turbo safe from the overboost condition then the PCM takes over at 22 psi and defuels.

Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks (Post 14272135)
........... For example ..... If the PCM's max for the turbo is lets say 20psi. When it gets close like 15 or 16 it slowly defuels allowing it not to reach 20. Or dose it let it climb to 20 then defuel like a blow off valve. ...............

The stock wastegate starts to blow off before 20, you can see that in the video clip posted above. But the wastegate does not control defueling, that's the PCM's responsibility and that starts around 22 psi. That is why the boost fooler tells the PCM the boost is at 22 psi whenever the boost is 22 psi or higher, to keep it from defueling and setting the overboost code & check engine light - thus allowing the chip/tune to keep adding more HP.

Did I confuse things more?:-drink

white Buffalo 04-17-2014 11:48 PM

In addition, compare your S&B intake to what intake Boss73 is using. Your open air element will let the sound through a lot more than a setup like the AIS. But in his last post he said he only went up to 6-8 lbs of boost - I don't think he hit the noise levels the others have posted.

Bottom line - if you (or anyone else) likes the performance of the Gen2 WW but can't stand the noise then change your air intake. The Ford AIS with the fender sleeve is one that comes to mind. But if your running bigger injectors or higher HP you might not have much of a choice.

River19 04-18-2014 04:57 AM

A quick and easy "boost fooler" is the Riffraff OCR....<$100 and takes 10mins to install, just sayin.

I have a dedicated boost gauge as well as a Scan gauge and the mechanical boost gauge with stock turbo and OCR will hit 25-27ish psi at WOT without defueling now. And I was defueling quite obviously prior to the OCR.

BTW, what does disconnecting the red line do? Not that I was planning on it, heck I'm pleased as punch I have the boost I do at this point....but just for my own education.

Thanks

white Buffalo 04-18-2014 07:39 AM

Borrowed from one of Muekster's Posts....

Plugging the red line from the WG solenoid to the WG actuator will net higher boost.

Here is the link for mor info with a great diagram from the service manual on how the system works:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...take-tube.html

To update some of the numbers I posted previously:

1. The PCM will start defueling at 23 psi
2. The stock WG actuator starts bleeding off boost at ~ 5psi.

white Buffalo 04-18-2014 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by River19 (Post 14272420)
A quick and easy "boost fooler" is the Riffraff OCR....<$100 and takes 10mins to install, just sayin.

OCR - Overboost Code Regulator - Riffraff Diesel Performance

River19 04-18-2014 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by white Buffalo (Post 14272681)

Thanks I was lazy earlier this morning :-X17:-X0A6

Awake now......well more awake....

bakerbuilttracks 04-18-2014 09:06 AM

Rich thanks for all your help and advice on this !!!!
I had to run the dog to the vet this morning for shots and was able to do some more tests.

On stock it seems like I'm close to normal psi as i was before. I stuck it in 80e and got on it fairly hard (its pouring rain here in the south ) and hit about 17ish.
On the way back in stock i took off normal and as it hit 3rd gear i went to the floor with the pedal and hit 21lb. So i think I'm good !!!!

Im not concerned with how much boost i make as i NEVER stick the skinny to the floor. Im just wanting to make sure everything is normal.

Now i did check my codes and i keep getting 2 popping up ! the first is p0475 which is EBPV malfunction which was my fault. Pulling the turbo out it slipped and hit the plug and broke it off the sensor :-X19 Yea good move huh.
The next is p0541 and i have looked in my book from edge with all the ford codes and there descriptions and have found no description for this !

Boss73 04-18-2014 09:26 AM

Sorry guys! I'm at work and just popped on to check this thread. I am running a 6637 intake and I did take the boost up in to the 20's on my run yesterday. It just doesn't seem that loud to me. If I have the chance, I would give someone else a ride and see what they think. Like I said, I won't be towing over the pass until next month, but I will post up anything I think will help for comparisons. Not sure if having a 6 speed manual makes any difference in sound or not! I will try to get in touch with Woodnthings next week and see if we can hook up and take a spin.
Also I am running straight 4", no muffler and a 5" tip.

white Buffalo 04-18-2014 09:30 AM

P0541 Manf Intake Air Heater Circuit Low

the 0541 code is from the AIH delete you did, you can add a resistor into the circuit to remove the soft code.

Here is the link to guzzles page, scroll down and you can click on the "index of diagnostic trouble codes" to view the DTC's.

Guzzles DiagnosticTrouble Code List

Deluxe06 04-18-2014 09:35 AM

p0541 Air intake heater, Have you deleted yours?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ode-p0541.html