Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Making progress on "son of mater" (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1309127-making-progress-on-son-of-mater.html)

Notmeofficer 04-12-2014 11:14 PM

Making progress on "son of mater"

79/73 f350
Converted to round eyes
Stumpuller new 460
Old school rat rod paint but all new underneath,, Ill probably just clear the orginal paint and faded logos.. I like that look.

Truck has 79k original miles and came from a shop in central Calfirnia. The original motor had a miss.. I suspect a burned valve
Didnt take the cab off but stripped it down and then sandblasted everything.. Painted it numerous times underneath.. right down to the drips the factory made... gloss black vs frame black
I replaced anything that was worn as I went along.. Ill reuse a part if its excellent shape otherwise why do the effort. I throw away buckets of rusted bolts on every project of mine...

I fatmatted the interior.. no rust.. ah California trucks
I pulled the air and converted it to manual heat using .250 aluminum to fill the hole
3g conversion.. if thats not enough I have a leece neville 250 amp 100% duty alternator sitting on a shelf

New front coils and kyb shocks. poly bushings
Oversize aluminum rear end cover
Killer c6 with deep pan and huge cooler(s)
New premium brakes all around,, super stops in the front.. commerical shoes in the rear.

For some reason when I took out the cluster it just disintegrated in my hands..literally plastic dust.. perfect excuse for dakota gauges

I found some ford truck fleece pattern of all the fords from the the model t to now... Im going to use it as my headliner

The wrecker body was a holmes period piece always on the truck. Other than the hydralic units needing serious seals and a new cable it was acceptable. I found a new lense for the single gumball...it was a hard find. Im going to outfit it with LED floods to replace the old school 100 w backup floods. I have made a number of changes in updating the wrecker body. I will xtrmeliner the entire inside of the bed once all the kinks are worked out and Im sure what I want in it.
Im tmepted to go 19.5... but the wheel package is 2450.00.. maybe if uncle sam says yes...

I love suggestions..:-X22 we have hot August and cool April nights up here..and hundreds of old cars come out...this truck is a sleeper.. and the first ricer that runs with it will be surprised as it smokes the duallies until it runs out of top end...but the rumble at a stop light could be mistaken for a uncared for truck... wont they be surprised when all they see will be the rear lights.. ha

I didnt include pictures but Ill get some of the way cool turn signal/brake lights attached to the uppper light bar with chrome ford logos on them

<iframe src="http://s127.photobucket.com/user/notmeofficer/embed/slideshow/Son%20of%20mater" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

Xauterus 04-13-2014 12:47 AM

Really nice work you are doing there.

earthquake68 04-13-2014 08:38 AM

Very cool!

Notmeofficer 10-08-2016 03:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok.. got off my butt

Wrecker body all done.. completely coated in epoxy bedliner and then painted in dark root beer metallic urethane (summit brand.. and I give it 5 stars.. easy to shoot and came out great and is tough as nails). Scads of brackets braces pins and mounts were blasted and coated in matte black enamel. The wrecker body was painted in several coats (on top of the bedliner) and then received an additional coat of paraffin based undercoating... it runs into every crevice and doesn't retain moisture if a rock hits it.. it creeps and self heals

Attachment 213071

Did the old school safety stripe on the back deck

Attachment 213072

Still have to blast and paint the boom, the gumball and light rack, the wrecker arms, and rework the second winch to a late model one...

Tomorrow before I mount the body Im going to shoot the rear of the cab and lower rockers in bedliner

The bed is very "purdy" in the sun.... the metallic really sparkles (and this pic doesnt do it justice because you cant see the profile)

Who votes for 19.5 lo pros.. I do

But mommas disney fund says otherwise right now... such is life and balancing projects.. man toys.. and healthy marriage

ubereal2 10-08-2016 04:45 PM

I just want a better picture of your Avatar:-X22

Unk Bob:-wink

AK FORD GUY 10-08-2016 05:29 PM

Nice job on the bed.

Originally Posted by ubereal2 (Post 16631298)
I just want a better picture of your Avatar:-X22

Unk Bob:-wink

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...90c30df015.jpg

Notmeofficer 10-08-2016 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY (Post 16631347)

Who could refuse a truck.. a gun.. and a girl

A truck will get you places and is just plain cool..
A gun will protect you and the truck and are just plain cool
A girl.... well she may or may not like the truck.. may or may not carry a gun.. which may or may not be a good thing.. and she may or may not refuse you all the time

My wife is twice as old and in better shape although the girl isnt bad... so Im lucky..but she wont let me put her on my avatar....

But
Shes does like the truck.. actually she likes this tow truck, son of mater, best of all our dents
And she certainly carries a gun.. and she doesnt care how much I spend on the trucks as long as I pay all the bills first

Im ok with that

By the way,, here is "l'il bit, my f600 frame off resto service truck I built .. Son of maters "dad".. Im just about done with it....

Attachment 213062

ubereal2 10-09-2016 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY (Post 16631347)

MMMMm Ummmm!:-X22

Notmeofficer 11-19-2016 11:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok.. a little progress

Got the motor bolted down and transmission all mounted.. need to build cooler lines and mount a custom cooler.

Body is remounted on the chassis.. using better quality hardware..all grade 8 1/2 inch matching bolts.. improved on the universal mounting kit used to put these bodies on all makes in this vintage.. tied the rear trailer hitch into the frame so its a real puller now..instead of just off the body... which was plenty tough..but now its the way it should be

Built the new winch mount... now an easy to source 12k pound winch

Attachment 211466

Built out the mini push bumper... made 3/8" plate mounts welded to 2 x 5 inch tube contoured to the bumper... you can lift the truck by it. I also beefed up the ends of the factory bumper by installing tubular braces that come off the frame... I used dock bumpers for the push bumpers.. they are plenty tough... great for giving a vehicle a shove to push start or push off the road.. or road warrior is you're so inclined

Attachment 211467

Also added some ford oem tow hooks (that came from late models) all tied together frame to frame with 120 wall tubing..looks factory stock if you didnt know these trucks never had a tow hook option

Attachment 211468

Plan to mount the boom this week and do some wiring..

baby steps

Daveycracky 11-19-2016 12:58 PM

Wow, what a cool project. Nothing beats that slack jawed look of shock from those so easy to underestimate. *subscribed*