Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Show me your dual shocks or your boat! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1307738-show-me-your-dual-shocks-or-your-boat.html)

LivingLarge 04-05-2014 12:20 PM

Show me your dual shocks or your boat!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I'm lifting the ex from my current 5in lift to 6in. Now thinking of replacing my Bilstein 5100's to dual or going with dual 5160's. Any thoughts? Has anyone gone with dual shocks and hate it?

Here is a pic of what I'm looking for.
Attachment 95441

USCG_PA 04-05-2014 02:15 PM

I thought of getting dual front shocks when my 4" BDS lift gets put on in just over a week, however, I could not find a benefit for the expense of doing it. I do LOVE how they look, and maybe someday down the road I will do the upgrade. That setup in the picture looks awesome! Good luck if you decide to go with it!

This bad boy has a dual setup, but it is jacked up so high, I think it would be a bear to drive...

2003 Ford Excursion - Custom Diesel Trucks - 8-Lug Magazine

Also, there seems to be a FABTECH kit for this type of dual shock setup: 5.5" Front Dual Shock System w/ Dirt Logic 2.25 Resi Shocks - 1999-04 Ford F250/F350 & 2000-05 Excursion 4WD

Not cheap though...

LivingLarge 04-05-2014 03:08 PM

Yeah, I've taken a look at those... I love the look and really not looking at pricing just want to find the cleanest and best out there. I just don't know much about them.
What I'd like to accomplish is a little stiffer front end for better cornering and a kick azz look. Lol

USCG_PA 04-05-2014 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14234489)
Yeah, I've taken a look at those... I love the look and really not looking at pricing just want to find the cleanest and best out there. I just don't know much about them.
What I'd like to accomplish is a little stiffer front end for better cornering and a kick azz look. Lol

You already have the kick azz look in spades :-jammin I can only imagine how it could get better, but like you, I like the look of the double setup, but not sure how it would affect the ride...

Bently_Coop 04-05-2014 04:45 PM

I think Tylus put dual shocks on the front of his. You may want to check through his build thread. Carli suspension also has custom 5160's available. May want to give them a call for more information.

Ford Super Duty Suspension Systems for 2005-20012 F250/F350 4x4 trucks

Jigger2020 04-05-2014 06:59 PM

Michael I don't think your X can get any nicer but you're the one that's in love so go for it, she's a black beauty!!....

ATV PRO #11 04-05-2014 08:38 PM

I'd have to agree with Gigger!!

I have dual Fox's on mine. There fantasic BUT when I bring them in for a rebuild I'll be valving a little bit softer. Little bit hard at slow speeds with speed bumps. On the flip side I can say it rides/drives better than any lifted 250/350 I've driven. Pulling my trailer I can take a hand off the wheel and she goes straight as an arrow at hwy speeds. I've driven her pretty hard off road as well and soaks up big bumps with the feel of the wheels still being on the dirt for steering. If you know what I mean. Cornering at high speeds is stable with virtually no body roll. The rear will almost always want to break loose before the front end will push. Ya, I drive it hard, I know but I take good care of her!!
Here's a pic, not the best and uses a different mounting system for the top of the shocks. "Hoops" rather than the bracket.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...1/IMG_2319.jpg

Az_Ray 04-05-2014 09:11 PM

What lift did you end up going with?

LivingLarge 04-05-2014 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Az_Ray (Post 14235446)
What lift did you end up going with?

Since, I found out I have a modded OEM x codes I have a local company that will mod those with another leaf to get the extra inch I'm looking for giving me 6 inches of total lift. When or if I go to 37's I can always do a hanger, shackle or an extra leaf at that time. For the rear we will just add a bigger block only need a half inch or so there to maintain the factory rake after the front increase.

My ride now is very good, so I'm afraid of losing it with another lift although I wouldn't mind stiffening it a bit more with shocks.

Stewart_H 04-05-2014 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14235555)
For the rear we will just add a bigger block only need a half inch or so there to maintain the factory rake after the front increase.

Do you have rear traction bars? If not, I strongly suggest going with the One Up Offroad lift block/traction bar. It's a one piece design that completely eliminates rear axle wrap while providing an exceptionally strong platform with a lift block.

OUO Traction Block & Traction Bar - Riffraff Diesel Performance
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server42...00.700.jpg?c=1

OUO is the best, in my opinion. I have this exact setup on my F250.

Stewart

Stewart_H 04-05-2014 10:03 PM

You can see the bars in the pic, but not the lift block portion of the bar.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ps01078088.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ps57cfe411.jpg

This setup works fantastic for me when trailering, daily driving, running the dunes at Pismo, or pounding the pavement when I run the 1320. There is absolutely ZERO axle wrap. And I'm launching hard when at the track.

Stewart

LivingLarge 04-05-2014 10:18 PM

Never heard of these, they look amazing. I'll call Monday to get the details on block taper needed, bump stop for my airbags etc. thanks for the info

LivingLarge 04-05-2014 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 14235614)
There is absolutely ZERO axle wrap. And I'm launching hard when at the track.

Stewart

Brother it's a 7.3 you mean while your eating your lunch down the track:-roll

USCG_PA 04-05-2014 11:06 PM

Great advice Stewart and nice looking truck! Reps if I could, but in jail at the moment... My Ex does not really need the traction bars, but I like the look of them and have them on the future buy list!

Tylus 04-05-2014 11:50 PM

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9a3e7cc2.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd64dc052.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps26bbf351.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb07745d7.jpg

Dual shocks are neat! They also really stiffen up the ride (I'm also running 4 of the cheapest Monroe shocks I could find...:-blah). My cornering stability is amazing. My X rode pretty nicely after the "F" Codes swap and upgrades to front leafs...but the Quad shocks tied it all together.

Did I mention it rides a bit rough? Like a truck almost...oh wait...:-X22
A lot of guys naysay the idea. I wonder how many realize that Ford offered this as an option on the F-150/Bronco from 92-96 for trucks with camper/trailer package? It really helps out at times

anyways, Quad shock setups like mine are stupid easy to install. remove shocks...remove OEM mount bolts...install new mount with OEM bolts...install 2 shocks per side. It takes about 30 minutes per side.

I used these guys. Quality product with nice welds. http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-05-FORD-Excursion-4X4-Dual-Front-Shock-Bracket-Mount-/121107572893?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AExcursion&hash=item1c3292e89d&vxp=mtr

edit: here is a pic from today. they aren't real visible...and I'm considering painting them black to "hide" them so to speak. I'm trying to avoid problems during my yearly Inspection. The less the X looks lifted...the more likely I will pass. It isn't real obvious that she is over 7' tall until you are right up on it. Sneaky so to speak
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps10n6j9py.jpg

Stewart_H 04-06-2014 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14235673)
Brother it's a 7.3 you mean while your eating your lunch down the track:-roll

Well, for a truck with a 6" lift, 37" tires that are friggen heavy as hell, a truck that weighed just a hair under 9000k lbs (official scale weight for DMV transfer of ownership when I bought it) having it run 14.7 at Famoso for the NHRDA opening race of the year aint too shabby....not for a 7.3L.

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14235665)
Never heard of these, they look amazing. I'll call Monday to get the details on block taper needed, bump stop for my airbags etc. thanks for the info

Give Clay a call. He has OUO on all his rigs, including his Excursion.

Stewart

LivingLarge 04-06-2014 08:35 AM

Thank you all for your input, it's funny that I was looking for dual shock info and our fearless leader just spent another 1000 of my money on something else. Gotta love this forum!

Y2KW57 04-06-2014 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tylus (Post 14235891)

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps26bbf351.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...psb07745d7.jpg

They also really stiffen up the ride

Did I mention it rides a bit rough?

I wonder if one of the reasons for the "rough ride" has to do with the lack of any cross axis pivot joint in that aftermarket shock mount?

I've seen other dual shock mounts, including the 1978 Ford F150 4x4 dual shock mount as well as various hoop mounts for the 1999-up Super Duty, and they all had a pivot provision along the longitudinal axis of the frame.

The dual shock mounts in the photos above here do not, and that would concern me.

In the stock cast shock tower, the upper eyelet allows the cross axis fore and aft pivoting. This enables the shock to pivot back slightly when hitting a pot hole or a speed bump, and the leaf springs undulate in a wave form as the axle is thrust backward from the impact.

In the shock tower above, there is no pivot provision in the direction that the truck moves!

The upper pivot is oriented in the same direction as the lower pivot. So while these shock mounts will not be stressed when the axle articulates up and down unevenly between the left and right sides, they might be very stressed when the leaf springs undulate as the vehicle moves forward, which is ALL the time, unless it's parked.

Not only are the upper and lower eyelets oriented in the same direction, but now there are TWO of them, which further eliminates any hope for pivoting within the confines of the urethane of the shock bushing itself, because the broader base of the dual inline mounting configuration restricts, cancels out, and effectively prevents bushing movement in a radial direction parallel with the truck.

I think dual shocks can be useful, but I would want to see either a stem mount (like the Fords of the 1970's) or a 90 degree change in eyelet orientation between the top and bottom mounts, which is how the original front Excursion shock was mounted.

Originally Posted by Tylus (Post 14235891)

They way you painted and center trimmed those factory wheels looks BAD A$$! http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums.../party0031.gif

Riffraff Diesel 04-06-2014 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 14236019)
Well, for a truck with a 6" lift, 37" tires that are friggen heavy as hell, a truck that weighed just a hair under 9000k lbs (official scale weight for DMV transfer of ownership when I bought it) having it run 14.7 at Famoso for the NHRDA opening race of the year aint too shabby....not for a 7.3L.

I know that it can get into the low 13's with dual pumps }>

Stewart_H 04-06-2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14236354)
Thank you all for your input, it's funny that I was looking for dual shock info and our fearless leader just spent another 1000 of my money on something else. Gotta love this forum!

Michael, I know you demand the best, and OUO fits the bill when it comes to suspension products. The stuff is pricey, but the engineering principles behind his designs are perfect.

Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance (Post 14237130)
I know that it can get into the low 13's with dual pumps }>

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ps99c5a6a7.gif

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ps07390266.jpg

Stewart

mecdac 04-06-2014 06:05 PM

That is balls, 13's on a 4-1/2 ton SUV DIESEL. 8D Take that gassers. :-wink

Nothing personal.;)

USCG_PA 04-06-2014 06:10 PM

All of this talk about the double shock setup has me looking at my wallet to see if I can add the BDS twin shock setup. As it is, a full leaf spring 4" BDS kit is getting installed in just over a week, now I am wondering if the extra couple hundred is worth being spent for the dual shock setup... I guess you can say these are the conundrums of being an Ex owner, "can I do it, if so, can I afford to do it?"

If I decide to go for it, I will make sure to post pics!

UPDATE: After doing a little more research, I decided to pass on the dual setup for now. There are always other projects that the cash can go towards.

xbox73 04-07-2014 07:17 PM

I have a shock hoop with dual 10" travel Bilstein 7100 smoothies w/ reservoirs. Advantage of Bilstein 7100 shocks is that they are revalvable & rebuildable.

My top & bottom mounts are mounted in the same orientation, but both top & bottom mounts of both shocks have spherical heim joints.

If you look closely at the bottom of the hoop middle brace in the second view, you can see it's now gusseted, as there were a few hairline cracks. I believe that's because the top of the limit strap was connected to the bolt hole you can see between the top of the shocks in the side view ... so when offroading hard it was torquing on the hoop. After gusseting the bottom of the hoop, as well as relocating the top of the limit strap to the much stronger frame (you can see the limit strap in the angle view), I haven't had any more problems after a couple of years of both on road & off road use.

Side view:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...ps7c61c420.jpg

Angle View:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...ps5362eae9.jpg

P.S. In the back I have single Bilstein 7100 smoothies, non-reservoir. Also have Firestone Ride-Rite airbags in rear (2600 lbs rated, each, so higher rated than stock Excursion application, I believe). Off road I have to air down the air bags to 5-10 psi, to allow the rear shocks to work properly off road. I wouldn't mind upgrading to 2.5-3" single smoothies, with reservoir, in the rear.

LivingLarge 04-08-2014 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Life changes every day! I made an offer on a little toy that if it works out I may not move forward with the new lift or the shocks. Will need to occasional tow this 38 foot 8500lbs dry weight plus three axle trailer about 2000lbs not to mention water and 200 gallons of gas. I don't think anything over my 5inch lift would be wise just my .02... Will keep you kids posted...
Attachment 95683

USCG_PA 04-08-2014 10:05 AM

A boat? You know what they say about a boat... It is a hole in the water to throw money, or that boat stands for Bust Out Another Thousand :D In all seriousness, that looks like if would be a lot of fun. Word to the wise, contact your local Coast Guard Auxiliary, they will come and give you a free boating safety inspection. This will give you a good idea of what you need to keep from getting a ticket if the County Sheriffs or the active duty CG pulls you over while underway. Plus it never hurts to be safety ready! Good luck on the purchase!

carbon coupe 04-08-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by USCG_PA (Post 14242853)
or that boat stands for Bust Out Another Thousand :D

That right there is funny, I dont care who you are. :-X22

LivingLarge 04-08-2014 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by USCG_PA (Post 14242853)
A boat? You know what they say about a boat... It is a hole in the water to throw money, or that boat stands for Bust Out Another Thousand :D In all seriousness, that looks like if would be a lot of fun. Word to the wise, contact your local Coast Guard Auxiliary, they will come and give you a free boating safety inspection. This will give you a good idea of what you need to keep from getting a ticket if the County Sheriffs or the active duty CG pulls you over while underway. Plus it never hurts to be safety ready! Good luck on the purchase!

I'm in the industry, I have very good contacts at the coast guard here in my neck of the woods. I've owned a ton of yachts I'm used to bust out tens of thousands and even did an MTU rebuild on my last yacht to the tune of 145k. Lol.... I was just looking for something I get to Bimini in under an hour for occasional lunch etc. David the conch chowder there is incredible. I am also part of the "local boaters option" so I don't even need to do a physical appearance when coming back into us waters.
I've also been an owner operator, just used captains for charters although I do employ a stewardess/cook and engineer full time when I run offshore usually to the Exumas ( wife's favorite ). Here's a picture of my last yacht it's a 70 Azimut I've been in the market for an Azimut 100 jumbo there's a few here in my market I've looked at in the past 2 weeks but haven't fallen in love yet. The 38 I made an offer on was just an owner that does not use it and could use the money, so will see what happens.
70 Azimut
Attachment 95692

USCG_PA 04-08-2014 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14243088)
I'm in the industry, I have very good contacts at the coast guard here in my neck of the woods. I've owned a ton of yachts I'm used to bust out tens of thousands and even did an MTU rebuild on my last yacht to the tune of 145k. Lol.... I was just looking for something I get to Bimini in under an hour for occasional lunch etc. David the conch chowder there is incredible. I am also part of the "local boaters option" so I don't even need to do a physical appearance when coming back into us waters.
I've also been an owner operator, just used captains for charters although I do employ a stewardess/cook and engineer full time when I run offshore usually to the Exumas ( wife's favorite ). Here's a picture of my last yacht it's a 70 Azimut I've been in the market for an Azimut 100 jumbo there's a few here in my market I've looked at in the past 2 weeks but haven't fallen in love yet. The 38 I made an offer on was just an owner that does not use it and could use the money, so will see what happens.
70 Azimut
Attachment 95692

NOW THAT IS A BOAT! Sounds like I was preaching to the choir a little, I guess you can say it goes with the job :D If you get the boat, enjoy the purchase and the conch chowder!

mecdac 04-08-2014 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am looking for something like this:

LivingLarge 04-08-2014 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mecdac (Post 14243702)
I am looking for something like this:

That's way beyond my capabilities lol

Jigger2020 04-08-2014 05:24 PM

That has to be James Bond, wow, I'd be happy with the small boat there

WE3ZS 04-08-2014 06:16 PM

Michael, Those OUO traction blocks/bars will keep things well under control with that new 38' hotrod in tow and your 6.0 putting down all that rear wheel torque. I have been plotting and planning to build a set of OUO copies for my EX.

LivingLarge 04-08-2014 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by WE3ZS (Post 14244132)
Michael, Those OUO traction blocks/bars will keep things well under control with that new 38' hotrod in tow and your 6.0 putting down all that rear wheel torque. I have been plotting and planning to build a set of OUO copies for my EX.

They do look great, but from my understanding I will lose the block tongue unless I go to the 6" block. My airbags are mounted there now, I'll call tomorrow to see if that's accurate. But my thinking was that with a higher lift and that much trailer weight could make it scary to drive. Than again I will only tow occasional, plans are to leave the boat in a full service marina with indoor storage. I live in the yachting capital of the word, don't know if I would trailer her any farther than key west going south and Naples to my west.

WE3ZS 04-08-2014 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14244238)
They do look great, but from my understanding I will lose the block tongue unless I go to the 6" block. My airbags are mounted there now, I'll call tomorrow to see if that's accurate. But my thinking was that with a higher lift and that much trailer weight could make it scary to drive. Than again I will only tow occasional, plans are to leave the boat in a full service marina with indoor storage. I live in the yachting capital of the word, don't know if I would trailer her any farther than key west going south and Naples to my west.

I didn't realize the blocks had to be the 6" to get the mount for the bars, You could always keep your current blocks and airbags and go with the axle tube welded on tabs for the traction bars, thats my plan.
Thats a nice looking Sport Boat Michael, What is it? I was thinking maybe Formula, but I thought the ones in that size range had the airslot hulls, I have a buddy with a 32'ish Formula and I know it does.

WE3ZS 04-08-2014 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14243088)
Here's a picture of my last yacht it's a 70 Azimut I've been in the market for an Azimut 100 jumbo there's a few here in my market I've looked at in the past 2 weeks but haven't fallen in love yet.

My company's CEO has a Azimut Grande 116' that he charters out, I think it spends some time in Fort Lauderdale, it's the M/Y VIVERE. It looks just a little bit more comfy than our '89 SeaRay. :-X04

LivingLarge 04-08-2014 07:41 PM

It's a 1996 38' formula Fastech it was the last year before going to the stepped hull. She went through a total refit in 2011 all new everything (not rebuilt). Has 15 hours of use since and stays indoors. She really is much cleaner than most of the newer boats that I see, gleaming twin 500hp's. Again this is a toy for me and really not my style boat but does look sexy.

LivingLarge 04-08-2014 07:57 PM

Tom, I know the yacht well. The charter broker that represents your bosses yacht is a Fort Lauderdale based company that have been my clients for years. My fleet consist of 16 yachts all based between Palm beach and Miami with a few really big girls in the Mediterranean.

LivingLarge 04-08-2014 08:00 PM

I hijacked my own thread, maybe the mods can change the name to "show me your dual shocks or boat" lol

00X7.3PSD 04-08-2014 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14244397)
I hijacked my own thread, maybe the mods can change the name to "show me your dual shocks or boat" lol

Whatever float your boat !!! :D

Stewart_H 04-08-2014 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 14244397)

Ask, and ye shall receive! ;)

Stewart