Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Ride Quality Info (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1306622-ride-quality-info.html)

2013SD6.2 03-30-2014 08:20 PM

Ride Quality Info

Well, I purchased a new 2013 250 6.2 Lariat it had the heavier pay load suspension minus over loads. Anyway, I always thought it rode insanely rough. Today, I purchased a 2014 f250, this one is a lariat, heavier pay load suspension minus overloads, but it has the fx4 package with the upgraded rancho (white/red) shocks. The ride quality is day and night difference. Instead of hitting bumps and thinking you ran over a large rock, it just glides and absorbs the impact. The rear end of the 2013 would always bunny hop over bumps with the impression that it was bouncing so hard that the wheels was leaving the pavement. Keep in mind both trucks are the same except 6.2 vs 6.7, Lariat vs fx4 Lariat, same wheels and tires on both trucks. Is these shocks really making that big of a difference??????

Mmaxed 03-31-2014 09:20 AM

Shocks can make a big difference.

Are the tires the same brand?

The same pressure?

The diesel engine is a lot heavier. Makes a big difference in the front, but I would think not much in the rear.

snelldawg 03-31-2014 12:59 PM

Those shocks are 'Rancho-branded'. The only thing different between those shocks and the non-FX4 shocks is the color.

I'd guess that the additional weight of the 6.7 is giving you a better ride and the shocks, although inadequate for these trucks, are still new and are somewhat performing.

SoYouCanSuperDuty 03-31-2014 08:36 PM

Odd... My 2013 F250 6.2L XL rides like a dream....

Amelio 04-01-2014 01:31 PM

My truck is a '12 CC 4x4 SB I think it rides pretty good for a big heavy truck...it is a bit jarring over big bumps when empty. Last summer I had 1,200 pounds of rock in the bed and it made for such a smoother ride.

This is to be expected......

I plan to go 20" wheels with 35's and a 2.5" lift kit this summer and when I do I am going to change out my shocks. Don't know which ones just yet I have to do some research.

Just curious....why did you leave the 6.2 and go 6.7....aside from the ball busting power:-jamming

Did you need more for towing or was it just a want?:-X06

I would love to have a 6.7....they just scare me with the repair costs after warranty and the fuel issues I hear/read about........plus I don't really need it.

2013SD6.2 04-01-2014 08:35 PM

Well, when I purchased my 2013 I was after the 6.7 but was not any on the lot to my liking. So I settled for the 6.2 lariat crew cab, lol it had everything but the engine I wanted. I don't tow/haul every day by any-means but when I do, it's ball busting. 10-16k depending on the size of equipment. I loved the 6.2 because it was a no hassle get up and go every day but when it came to raw grunt it just didn't have it. Now let me say this, I want my power down low on rpms not up high screaming like the 6.2 is. Driving the 6.2 in hills empty just seemed like I as always in the fuel a lot. (3.73s). Has mileage was little low, 12s-13s. This new truck has the power, and the mileage. 16s-18s. 20s on flat land 4 lanes. Now with the 6.7 it requires a little for thought. Idle down before shutting it off, warming up, def fluid, more rapid fuel filter changes, draining water out of the water fuel separator. diesel costing almost a dollar more a gallon. U get my drift, just all in what u want.

Sargemo105 04-03-2014 06:40 PM

Shocks

I'm one that was disappointed with the harsh ride of my truck when driving without a load. Today I took delivery of four Bilstein shocks and hope to get them installed in the next two weeks.

My complaint is the hopping the rear would do over large bumps, and the constant up/down in the cab over smaller bumps over less than ideal roads. On a recent trip my wife and one of my kids actually got 'truck sick' from the repetitive motion.

I spoke to three Ford truck owners that installed Bilstein shocks and they describe the improvement as dramatic. Unfortunately I can't compare apples to apples since they did not have the same gasser I have. I'll provide an opinion after the install. :-X06

ATP Pilot 04-03-2014 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sargemo105 (Post 14228815)
I'm one that was disappointed with the harsh ride of my truck when driving without a load. Today I took delivery of four Bilstein shocks and hope to get them installed in the next two weeks.

My complaint is the hopping the rear would do over large bumps, and the constant up/down in the cab over smaller bumps over less than ideal roads. On a recent trip my wife and one of my kids actually got 'truck sick' from the repetitive motion.

I spoke to three Ford truck owners that installed Bilstein shocks and they describe the improvement as dramatic. Unfortunately I can't compare apples to apples since they did not have the same gasser I have. I'll provide an opinion after the install. :-X06

I did the Bilstein on the rear, A little better...but not really worth it IMHO.

Still hop around on the bad roads around here. Normal bumps not a problem. I'm running 60 psi on the Rears and 60 in the Fronts. Truck calls for 60 front and 70 rear. 70 in the rear is out of control.

8iron 04-03-2014 10:37 PM

The Diesel makes a big difference in ride quality. My lariat 6.2 rides like a dump truck. I added a set of Rancho 9000xl and it helped with the rear end hopping but it's still rough.

DHPRO 04-04-2014 01:45 PM

HEH...my 14 Platinum rides like a dumptruck! Its like a rock across a pond when I hit bumps on a high speed turn.

Thenewboss 04-04-2014 09:35 PM

All of my upgraded suspension equipment is in my signature. That said, my biggest problem with the stock set up is the bump steer (death wobble?). Grille guard up front and the cap on the back has really planted the truck firmly on the road.

chrislambing 01-18-2015 06:58 PM

my 2011 f250 rides like a tank

Just joined This site although I've trolled thru looking at info on super duties when I was buying mine. I recently bought a 11 f250 6.2 lariat fx4 cc. Long bed, it had 39k on it. I love the truck but one thing I noticed was it rode like a tank! I know it's a 9900gvwr with 35s but it's ridiculously rough. I immediately put new shocks on it, I went with Gabriel reflexes and it helped a little but not much. I'm also wondering if the 35s affect the ride quality that much, I hate to be complaining about the ride on a truck this size, but dang it's rough!

RumpityRump 01-18-2015 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by chrislambing (Post 15007063)
Just joined This site although I've trolled thru looking at info on super duties when I was buying mine. I recently bought a 11 f250 6.2 lariat fx4 cc. Long bed, it had 39k on it. I love the truck but one thing I noticed was it rode like a tank! I know it's a 9900gvwr with 35s but it's ridiculously rough. I immediately put new shocks on it, I went with Gabriel reflexes and it helped a little but not much. I'm also wondering if the 35s affect the ride quality that much, I hate to be complaining about the ride on a truck this size, but dang it's rough!

1st do the free thing......let out some air. if running 50, try 45 for 2 days, then 40 for another 2 days. I bet you will feel a lot of the difference. It's a free try.

Gints 01-19-2015 11:56 AM

+1 for that, psi on door jam is for loaded, no wonder it jumps like grasshopper. Let some ear out,especially in the back.

Crumm 01-19-2015 08:11 PM

Yep tire pressure makes a huge difference. First thing I did on my 2015 is to let the air out of the tires and then the second was to take it in and get the TPMS pressure turned down.