Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Removing ac pulley 95 f150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1305990-removing-ac-pulley-95-f150.html)

fordka 03-27-2014 12:45 PM

Removing ac pulley 95 f150

Ok yesterday i started my truck up and the ac pulley seized. I had it running a just an hr before that so it seems strange that it would seize. So anyway i want to run a shorter belt but i cant because it will rub on the pully and make grooves in the belt. I have gone through that once all ready. So i was just gonna take the pump off completely but i cant get any bolts out. So now i decided just to take the pully off. I got that triangle piece off in front but i cant get the pully off. Ive pried on it and bent it up pretty good tho. So does anybody know. If not i will torch it off. Thanks

danr1 03-27-2014 01:07 PM

Sounds like you don't have a three jaw puller or you'd already used it to pull the pulley off the shaft.

Need a puller for the pulley the clutch itself no.

1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual

Was hoping the link would be direct but no such luck.

You'd find it under climate control system then ac compressor.

fordka 03-27-2014 01:11 PM

I have one but theres no way i would beable to get that to fit in there with the radiator.

danr1 03-27-2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by fordka (Post 14204817)
I have one but theres no way i would beable to get that to fit in there with the radiator.

Yea problem too, use torch to blow bolt heads off then pry compressor off them then remove what's left of bolts, A/C eliminator bracket with idler available from Napa retains use of stock belt (IIRC was about 40 bucks), if wanted to go that route.

fordka 03-27-2014 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by danr1 (Post 14204845)
Yea problem too, use torch to blow bolt heads off then pry compressor off them then remove what's left of bolts, A/C eliminator bracket with idler available from Napa retains use of stock belt (IIRC was about 40 bucks), if wanted to go that route.

Haha i got it just needed a bigger pry bar lol then i had an explosion of whats left to the bearings. So im betting thats what caused it to seize so my pump is prolly still good. I hope a belt is not $40 i bought a new belt off ebay for $12 for my ac set up look 3 months ago.

Bob Gervais 03-27-2014 03:04 PM

The AC delete bracket and pulley is $40, not the belt.

Seems as though you're done now, but for anyone in the future that's looking to do this without being a complete hack and destroying things....

Remove the bolt in the center of the clutch, then the clutch plate (triangle thing) comes off. After that, remove the snap ring in the center of the pulley, and slide the pulley off.

fordka 03-27-2014 04:13 PM

Im only a hack because this truck is hardly worth the gas i put in it. If this truck really meant something to me sure i would take my time and do it the right way. But its just an old beater. And my bad thinking the belt was $40 lol but still there expensive through stores according to my dad but he hasn't bought one in a while.

MeanGreen460 03-27-2014 09:31 PM

They make a special puller to take the AC clutch and pulley off you can rent one from most auto parts stores

Bob Gervais 03-28-2014 07:32 AM

They do rent pullers, I've never needed one. I've done at least, if not more than 50 clutches/pulleys, they all slid off.