Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   F250 crew cab 4x4? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1305031-f250-crew-cab-4x4.html)

wilcam47 03-22-2014 10:23 PM

F250 crew cab 4x4?

I had some questions on a F250 4x4 2005 or newer.

1. Does the 4x4 switch turn on the 4x4 quick? Or do you have to drive a short distance to engage it?
2. Is it a push button? or shift on the floor?
3. How well does it tow?
4. Is the back seats roomy?

Input would be appreciated thanks! Im considering either a suburban or F250 for towing boat or camper trailer.

NorEasterMA 03-22-2014 10:59 PM

Well, my 06 (same gen as the 05) has a manual floor shift 4x4, not ESOF (the dial on the dash). It engages pretty quickly but I have to travel a couple feet before it's engaged.

You don't specify what motor you want to know about, but I'll give some input anyway. I don't tow with my truck very often, but the one time I towed a car it was great and hardly felt it back there, with the 5.4 gasser I have. The 6.0 powerstroke will tow very well too.

In terms of room in the back seat, it's like first class on an airplane. Plenty of room even with the front seats all the way back. Headroom to spare. It's like a whole suite back there. Only downside is I don't have a power sliding rear window so manually opening means actually getting out of my seat, ha.

wilcam47 03-23-2014 07:14 PM

Good info...I dont want a diesel but looking at options. Room being one of them. The back sliding window not a huge deal as I rarely open/opened the rear windows in vehicles that had them. lol.

We have a Toyota 4runner and the anti-slip crap on it is annoying. as is the switch on the dash push button 4x4. But overall its been a good vehicle. Right now Im having caliper issues from living in a state that salted roads :-arrgh

Hopefully I can find a good deal on a truck soon;)

NorEasterMA 03-24-2014 01:40 PM

Well the V10's and the 5.4's are great gassers, similar mileage but the V10 has more power. That being said I'm happy with my 5.4.

As I said before, there is room for days back there.

I wish you the best in finding a good truck! I'm from MA, so salt is no stranger to me. When you get yourself a new rig, just take your time and clean it and use some sort of protection agent for the winter. Personally, I use fluid film. Spray just about everything a couple times a winter, and it keeps the sand/salt/snow off. Good luck!

BPofMD 03-24-2014 02:04 PM

In 2005 the Ford quad cab trucks had the most roomy rear seats in the industry! As North'easter said the 4 wheel drive switch will be one of 2.... ESOF (electronic) or the manual on the floor. I have the ESOF, don't use it a lot, but when I needed it it wasn't a problem. 4 wheel high goes in on the fly but for 4 wheel low, you have to stop, emerg brake on, go to park, then select it on the dash button. Worked great for me this year in the snow.

MDSuperDuty 03-24-2014 02:17 PM

Just going to add this so you are well informed. The gas trucks from 05-08 had issues with the spark plugs sticking in the head and breaking upon removal. They have plenty of tools and know how for removing ones that break. Look for the coils that have brown boots vs. black meaning these are the engines with the revised head/plug. Again there are TSB's for these to show how to get it done. If I had advice to offer I would try to find a 09 or newer. Look for the brown boots and you'll be good to go. Just eliminates any future "issues". Again there have been plenty of successful DIY removals. If you buy from a dealer see if you can work in a deal to have them replaced before you take delivery. There is NOTHING wrong with the trucks that have these plugs. Same power, same reliability, just a little bump in the road.

My 08 V10 tows great. Crew cab has a ton of room for the wife and 2 kids. I looked for the manual shift 4x4 as I was unlucky with the ESOF in two trucks. I also have those ^ spark plugs. Oh well.

speakerfritz 03-24-2014 02:53 PM

my 05 f-250 has a shift on the floor and the hub locks are manual.

my back seats are more roomy than my front seats

i have fold up, fold down seats, as well as a fold out storage shelf

towing my 8.5X 18 unclosed car carrier is a peice of cake. tow mode works great.

NorEasterMA 03-24-2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty (Post 14194843)
Just going to add this so you are well informed. The gas trucks from 05-08 had issues with the spark plugs sticking in the head and breaking upon removal. They have plenty of tools and know how for removing ones that break. Look for the coils that have brown boots vs. black meaning these are the engines with the revised head/plug. Again there are TSB's for these to show how to get it done. If I had advice to offer I would try to find a 09 or newer. Look for the brown boots and you'll be good to go. Just eliminates any future "issues". Again there have been plenty of successful DIY removals. If you buy from a dealer see if you can work in a deal to have them replaced before you take delivery. There is NOTHING wrong with the trucks that have these plugs. Same power, same reliability, just a little bump in the road.

This is a good point that I forgot about, but as MD said, it's not a huge deal. If they break (they will) you fix it and you move on. Snap-On makes the best tool for it in my opinion, and I grabbed one from my ex-snap-on dealer boss. Don't let this turn you off of 05-07 gen trucks, but finding a newer will reduce the amount of headaches.

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 14194945)

These are a great feature too, total game changer in terms of using the back seat as rough storage for tools/messy things that you don't want on your upholstery. The bottoms flip up and this nifty metal tray folds out and covers the whole floor. Awesome stuff.

DIXIETILLDEATH 03-24-2014 06:13 PM

[quote=wilcam47;14189739]I had some questions on a F250 4x4 2005 or newer.

1. Does the 4x4 switch turn on the 4x4 quick? Or do you have to drive a short distance to engage it?
2. Is it a push button? or shift on the floor?
3. How well does it tow?
4. Is the back seats roomy?

Input would be appreciated thanks! Im considering either a suburban or F250 for towing boat or camper trailer.[/quote
I promise the 5.4 won't let you down. I have a 2000 F-250 still running strong after 234,000 miles.

wilcam47 03-25-2014 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 14194945)
my 05 f-250 has a shift on the floor and the hub locks are manual.

my back seats are more roomy than my front seats

towing my 8.5X 18 unclosed car carrier is a peice of cake. tow mode works great.

Thats what I would prefer... Thanks for the input. Also the only reason I was thinking 2005 or better is because a couple friends had numerous problems with their 04's. I know its an off chance of getting a lemon but one friend took back his 04 three times for rear axle problems...and finally turned it in for TX lemon law. another friend was going on his second time for rear axle problem.

Tom 03-25-2014 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by wilcam47 (Post 14198579)
Thats what I would prefer... Thanks for the input. Also the only reason I was thinking 2005 or better is because a couple friends had numerous problems with their 04's. I know its an off chance of getting a lemon but one friend took back his 04 three times for rear axle problems...and finally turned it in for TX lemon law. another friend was going on his second time for rear axle problem.

You have some unlucky friends, axle issues aren't common on these things.

speakerfritz 03-25-2014 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by wilcam47 (Post 14198579)

I think 05's was the first year of springs in the front . I believe o4's and prior had shackles in the front.

so, if your going to snow plow, you might want an 04 or prior so you can tweak the shackles to where they need to be for your plow.

there were other changes in 05, which are fuzzy to me....there is something about the rims...you can only use 17's or 18's, and not 16's .....reason I was told is that there was new DOT guide lines for 2005 concerning max width vs weight and 16"s on an f-250 did not pass muster.

99 thru 07 beds were all the same...starting in 08, some tail gates had steps and step handles.

I think I read that torque shift trannies were made available in 05

I think the 05's ride real nice, have great tow/payload

my 05 uses merceron sp tranny fluid. I'm told there were different tranny fluid requirements depending on the year Sp vs LV and the torqueshift trannies apparently do not like regular mercon V tranny fluid.

I took my 05 into the hills of new hamshire during the worst of winter and was sure glad I had 4X4.