Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   New to forum 5.8 buildup (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1304649-new-to-forum-5-8-buildup.html)

Sbilli 03-20-2014 05:28 PM

New to forum 5.8 buildup

Wanted to get some opinions. Building up a 5.8 for a restoration I"m doing. Was thinking of buying an adapter and using the original 5.0 engine's intake. .30 over bore, gt40 heads, longtubes and custom 2 1/2 y pipe to single 3" exhaust. Truck will be lifted on 35's. Any cam recommendations? I've searched but haven't found anything with my setup.

Evan_P 03-20-2014 05:39 PM

Dont waste your money on the 5.0 intake. Buy a good aftermarket one like the Trick Flow R-series. As for cam, is it a roller block or a flat tappet. If you are lifting it what gears are you putting in it? A beefy engine is pointless if you don't have the right gears for the tires size your turning. Are you going to do a MAF conversion?

Sbilli 03-20-2014 05:55 PM

It's a roller block from a 97 f-250. I was thinking of 4.10 gears as I will have a 250 mile trip several times a year. The rest will be hunting/ fishing/ fun truck. I have already heard the 5.8 intake were turds and didn't want to go that route

Sbilli 03-20-2014 05:56 PM

It's already maf

Evan_P 03-20-2014 06:05 PM

If it is MAF, I would go with the GT40 heads with a full rebuild, the Trick Flow Type-R intake because it doesn't suck like the truck intake, a Comp-Cams 35-512-8 or Comp Cams 35-308-8. the 35-512-8 has a slightly lower RPM range which is good for a truck. The 35-308-8 has a higher RPM range, but more overall lift. Personally I would go with 35-512-8. It has plenty of lift, a good rpm range and a healthy 114* of lobe separation to keep engine vacuum up. Pair that the exhaust you mentioned, so long as it isn't strait piped, and you will have essentially gotten rid of the major choke points Ford put in that engine.

I would however seriously consider 4.56 gears if you are going with 35's.

Conanski 03-20-2014 08:03 PM

The Pro products Typhoon is pretty cheap and is a vast improvement over the stock 5.8 intake, I'd bet you could almost get one for the same price as those adapter plates.

akdanstar 03-23-2014 05:02 AM

https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/12/efiintake/

I'm not really happy about the Typhoon, I do not think its your responsibility, but Paul do you own one.
Solid advice is buying & testing , I'll post on Monday after speaking with Professional Products. Why sell and ship this with so many problems I can not describe or count the many ways this does not fit together or on my heads.

akdanstar 03-23-2014 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Conanski (Post 14183561)
The Pro products Typhoon is pretty cheap and is a vast improvement over the stock 5.8 intake, I'd bet you could almost get one for the same price as those adapter plates.

A very good point Pretty Cheap.

Conanski 03-23-2014 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by akdanstar (Post 14190204)
Paul do you own one.

I do own one and it doesn't have many of the flaws reported with the early verions, the machine work is clean, ports are square and flashing has been removed. The exterior finish is not up to Edelbrock standards but ultimately that has no effect on performance. I can't comment on fit with various heads but I have seen interference problems with other name brand intake-head combos that required grinding so this isn't something exclusive to this offshore brand.

The fact that this intake produced gains over a heavily ported GT40 also means it's worth the cost, The stock 5.8 intake is closest to the stock 5.0HO intake in terms of airflow and an untouched GT40 easily outflows that, so this intake would be a healthy step up on a 5.8.

UNTAMND 03-23-2014 10:08 AM

So a 400$ intake with minimal CLEANUP performs better than a 600$ intake that's had 800$ worth of porting done to it...
Sounds like a good deal to me.
I had to take my edelbrock intake and open up the tb opening to 75mm and two sides of the ports didn't lign up and needed to be matched with the gasket.

akdanstar 03-23-2014 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Conanski (Post 14190595)
I do own one and it doesn't have many of the flaws reported with the early verions, the machine work is clean, ports are square and flashing has been removed. The exterior finish is not up to Edelbrock standards but ultimately that has no effect on performance. I can't comment on fit with various heads but I have seen interference problems with other name brand intake-head combos that required grinding so this isn't something exclusive to this offshore brand.

The fact that this intake produced gains over a heavily ported GT40 also means it's worth the cost, The stock 5.8 intake is closest to the stock 5.0HO intake in terms of airflow and an untouched GT40 easily outflows that, so this intake would be a healthy step up on a 5.8.

Boy I must have got the first ones they made , in the box they look great but after my fit up things just started going to hell quickly.
Made in China , you would think quality control is world wide.
Thats why I bought Scorpion Rockers Made In America.
I returned them , And bought Edelbrock #3887 wherever they are made the quality is good & the workmanship.
Taking pride in your work is a mark of Craftsmanship.

Where is the Typhoon Pride oh yea made in china.

akdanstar 03-23-2014 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by UNTAMND (Post 14190757)
So a 400$ intake with minimal CLEANUP performs better than a 600$ intake that's had 800$ worth of porting done to it...
Sounds like a good deal to me.
I had to take my edelbrock intake and open up the tb opening to 75mm and two sides of the ports didn't lign up and needed to be matched with the gasket.

You Will get what you pay for enough said about that.