Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Lift kits (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1302488-lift-kits.html)

quincyj34 03-09-2014 08:40 PM

Lift kits

Ive been looking at lift kits for my 92 and Ive noticed a lot of people ask what kit they should go with but what should you look for in a kit. What makes or breaks it. What determines the price between different kits, some of the rancho/tuff/rough country kits they seem to be cheaper than the pro comp and skyjacker kits even if they are the same amount of lift.

BiGGreen350 03-09-2014 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by quincyj34 (Post 14148577)
Ive been looking at lift kits for my 92 and Ive noticed a lot of people ask what kit they should go with but what should you look for in a kit. What makes or breaks it. What determines the price between different kits, some of the rancho/tuff/rough country kits they seem to be cheaper than the pro comp and skyjacker kits even if they are the same amount of lift.

quality is a big part of it.

the more expensive and better kits will have leaf springs for all four corners instead of blocks for the rear, which springs for all four are BETTER

Honestly look into a rsk kit if you have a straight axle in the front, far superior to any other lift kits, and I highly suggest the PMF kit. do some research on those you will be a ton happier and they are super easy to install

dixie460 03-10-2014 06:48 AM

The OP has an F-150, so no leaf springs up front unless he did a conversion.

ASSuming you have the TTB (stock) suspension setup in the front, how high are you looking to lift it?

Over a couple inches, you'll want something like this:

5.5" Superflex/Prerunner Lift Kit w/Extended Radius Arms

with the extended radius arms, drop pitman arm, and replacement rear springs instead of blocks. I do NOT have experience with this but will probably get it or something similar when I'm ready to do my lift, if I don't do a SAS instead.

A few searches I've done in the past tell me that the cheaper kits ride like crap and are harder to align... and the TTB is already a pain to get aligned right because you have to find an alignment guy that knows his s%^$ to do it for you.

BiGGreen350 03-10-2014 09:27 AM

oops, sorry I forgot to even look at his sig

quincyj34 03-10-2014 11:58 PM

I really like the looks of the BDS kits. Good price and seems like they come with everything.

1980-1996 Ford F150 2WD 6" lift kit 399H | BDS Suspension

turnkyle 03-11-2014 07:22 AM

When I bought my 94 F150 the previous owner had a 4" lift installed on it by Les Schwab so I am pretty sure it is a rancho or rough country brand. I had never been impressed with rancho/rough country lifts in the past but upon inspecting my lift and researching their newer kits (as of 3 years ago) I was pretty impressed with how much they have stepped up their game. They have the cam type adjustments on all the pivot points so that it can more easily be aligned and the P.O. has opted for extended radius arms that have the cam adjustments on it as well. After having owned lifted trucks with and without the extended radius arms I would strongly suggest that you use them. Once I found a shop that was good at aligning the TTB it went straight to factory specs no problem. The hard thing is finding an alignment shop/technician that is good at these TTB front ends.

The only thing that I don't like that the P.O. did was that after the 4" lift he decided he wanted add-a-leafs and then put a leveling kit on the front i.e. he stacked lifts for a total of 5-5.5". Most everyone will recommend against doing this but so far I haven't had any issues and it still aligned relatively easily so I am not going to worry about undoing it.

The truck rides really nice on road but is alittle rough off road. My truck is setup to run quad shocks on the front from the factory so I am considering adding the two extra shocks on front to see if it helps with ride quality offroad. The front end seems alittle bouncy at times.