Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   95 f150 5.0 bogging out (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1302109-95-f150-5-0-bogging-out.html)

aaron steinkuhler 03-07-2014 09:04 PM

95 f150 5.0 bogging out

I have a 95 150 5.0 and its spittin and sputtering I have changed the sparkplug wires, ignition coil rotor cap and egr valve I had it professionally timed and it is still sputtering I don't know what to do any help?

77_F150_4x4 03-07-2014 09:35 PM

Have you ran a scan on it for codes? is this a mass air 5.0? does it have this condition all the time? just under a load? cold? warm?

88n94 03-07-2014 09:36 PM

You don't mention the spark plugs, did you replace them?

aaron steinkuhler 03-07-2014 09:59 PM

Ya it does this all the time and ya I changed the plugs and yes it says the o2 sensor but I changed it and it still doin it

Toplait 03-07-2014 11:02 PM

Fuel filter?

aaron steinkuhler 03-07-2014 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Toplait (Post 14143482)
Fuel filter?

Ya that was the very first thing I tried

timbersteel 03-08-2014 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by aaron steinkuhler (Post 14143121)
I have a 95 150 5.0 and its spittin and sputtering I have changed the sparkplug wires, ignition coil rotor cap and egr valve I had it professionally timed and it is still sputtering I don't know what to do any help?

Have you checked for stored codes? It can be done with a jumper wire and count the flashes or use a code reader?

Cutting out sounds like the stator is
or could be another problem. When you remove the distributor cap, is it crust down inside? The stator provides the PCM with the PIP signal.

Provided this is a '95, it has a black ICM and is a little different than the older trucks that use a grey ICM. If it were me, I would clean the inside of the dizzy really well and the connection for the distributor. There is also a 22k ohm resistor that lies inside the wiring harness that I have seen cause similar issues.

Start with simple diagnostics, codes, cleaning inside housing of distributor,and the connection for distributor.

One other thing, you never mentioned if this has done this for a long time, if this just started after running great, or if you purchased it like this. Just give us some background on the truck.

rla2005 03-08-2014 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by timbersteel (Post 14144194)
Have you checked for stored codes? It can be done with a jumper wire and count the flashes or use a code reader?

Cutting out sounds like the stator is
or could be another problem. When you remove the distributor cap, is it crust down inside? The stator provides the PCM with the PIP signal.

Provided this is a '95, it has a black ICM and is a little different than the older trucks that use a grey ICM. If it were me, I would clean the inside of the dizzy really well and the connection for the distributor. There is also a 22k ohm resistor that lies inside the wiring harness that I have seen cause similar issues.

Start with simple diagnostics, codes, cleaning inside housing of distributor,and the connection for distributor.

One other thing, you never mentioned if this has done this for a long time, if this just started after running great, or if you purchased it like this. Just give us some background on the truck.

Speaking of basics.....check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail test fitting. Does the truck have two tanks? Does this happen on both?

Sputtering and an "O2 Code" (assuming it was a lean code) usually indicate lack of fuel or a severe vacuum leak.

timbersteel 03-08-2014 10:56 AM

Thanks RLA, I completely missed the O2 sensor change. If it was a lean code that could point specifically to a weak pump or fail in the fuel system.

Had same problem on my '92 300, weak fuel pump, and sputtering.

Rent a fuel psi tester or buy one. Post static and running fuel psi. Should be 30-35 static, running. Pulling vacuum line to FPR should cause it to increase to about 40.

aaron steinkuhler 03-08-2014 12:19 PM

Ya it has been doin it since I got the truck

Conanski 03-08-2014 02:15 PM

Check the obvious things first..

Is the exhaust clogged?
Is the fuel filter clogged?
Is the air filter clogged?

If you can eliminate all those then check fuel pressure and pull the codes and go from there. The fuel system should build and maintain 32-35psi with the engine idling and pressure should increase to 40-42psi when throttle is cracked open momentarilly or vacuum removed from the regulator.

aaron steinkuhler 08-05-2014 09:16 PM

ya someone cut the cat out and I put a new filters in it but I put another o2 sensor it ran great for about a week or better and then started doin the same thing so I replaced it again and same thing runs great for about a week I don't know what to do

79highboy150 08-06-2014 10:05 AM

I had this problem with my f150 and it turned out that a bad/weak ground ended up frying my fuel pump. I could not go past a 1/4 throttle without bogging. check fuel pressure before starting, should be around 60psi if im not mistaken and when running should be about 55psi. Mine was fine at start but would go down to roughly 35psi when running which was barley enough to support truck at idle and it threw me all the same codes.

1995F150XLT4x4 08-06-2014 10:10 AM

Definitely sounding like a fuel starvation to me.

rla2005 08-06-2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by aaron steinkuhler (Post 14561008)
ya someone cut the cat out and I put a new filters in it but I put another o2 sensor it ran great for about a week or better and then started doin the same thing so I replaced it again and same thing runs great for about a week I don't know what to do

Posts #8 and #11 told you exactly what to do. Quit throwing parts at it and guessing.