Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   pinhole in oil pan - temporary fix? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13006-pinhole-in-oil-pan-temporary-fix.html)

raycon 05-20-2002 09:24 AM

pinhole in oil pan - temporary fix?

Oil pan has a pin hole leak just above and to the left of the drain
plug. It has a pit about a 1/16" in diameter where its leaking from.
The hole itself is not visible to the eye.
Any one successfully fix a leak like this while the pan is still on
the truck?
I was thinking about drilling through and putting a sheet metal screw with sealant on it... catching chips if lucky with a magnet.
Any liquid metal type products that can be applied to a vertical surface?

Recently replaced the rear main seal,oil pump and oil pan gasket.
Will replace the oil pan once I catch up (7/4/2010?) ...

Thanks for any help,

ray
F-250 4x4 302 5 speed 126,000 miles

cyberbyrd 05-20-2002 09:41 AM

I had an aluminum (sp?)boat once that when on a fishing trip up north we hit 10 to 12' seas comming in one night. The next morning the boat was half way under water. Found out that I poped a 1/4" rivit out of the boat. Went to the hardware srore and got one of those self drilling screws and some silicone screwed it in the hole with a bunch of silicone around it let it dry overnight and never replaced and never had a leek. If I was in your position I would try the screw with some RTV and keep a good eye on it. You might want to cover the screw with RTV after it is in.

Good Luck!

tmcalavy 05-20-2002 09:54 AM

Your idea is a good one for a temporary fix. Another option is to drain the oil, flush it real well with a flushing agent, and leave the plug out until you do this: mix up some JB Weld, wrap a rag around your finger and stick your finger inside the drain hole and cover the damaged area from inside. Now apply the JB Weld on the outside, and keep your finger inside until the JB Weld sets (a few minutes). I've fixed alot of stuff that others said couldn't be fixed with JB Weld. It's only a temporary fix mind you, but it works wonders and you won't have a screw head sticking out the bottom of your pan. You can get JB Weld almost anywhere...hardware stores, etc.

MustangGT221 05-20-2002 02:02 PM

I had a pin hole in mine just above the plug and all i did was take some silicone and seal up the hole and it worked fine for a year and 1/2 until it got totalled. Beat payin 100 bucks for a new pan plus install.

Primary rig is NOW TOTALLED :-X23 :
95' F-150 EB 300/6 5 spd with 4" Superlift, MSD, Ram Air, Gibson Exhaust, 32" BFG Muds
Some pictures in my gallery.

Then theres:
88' F-250 Superduty 351 + c6
95' Mercury Cougar 4.6L V-8
80' E-350 300/6 and a
3 spd column shifter. Top speed, 65mph, Go Baby Go!

The newest addition to the Ford family is a 99' Mustang GT 4.6L

winfordr 05-20-2002 03:19 PM

I successfully fixed a small hole in my oil pan by soldering it from the outside.

I drained the oil, cleaned the pan to bare metal, and with a propane torch and electrical solder, filled the hole. Then I smoothed with sandpaper and repainted. It has not leaked, and is not detectable.

Winford;)

JW 4x4 05-20-2002 06:14 PM

I too had a pinhole leak on my oil pan-a bunch of them to be exact. I guess a result of a recent wheelin' incident I had. Anyway, as dumb as I am I bought some JB Weld before taking a closer look at the pan and it wasn't until later I determined it was beyond repair. Ended up payin $80.00 for a new oil pan at my Ford Dealer. Also, interesting enough, it was already in stock ;) I guess rust is a common problem on the original oil pans, as mine was rusting from the outside badly. So if you're pan isn't leaking yet but you have noticeable rust on the outside, undercoat it well before it's too late. Just my $.02

pancake 05-20-2002 08:56 PM

just my 2 cents,

for youre info raycon the ford f-series trucks are notorious for the factory oil pans rotting so you will have to replace it eventually but for now i would recomend jb weld on a clean drry surface it works great

slsspark 05-27-2002 08:08 PM

I actually had a seeping leak that would leak about a quart and a half in a 3000 mile oil change interval. Ford warantied it because the pan was faulty and get this it rusted from the inside out!!!!! My Mechanic has never seen that in 25+ years of wrenching.The leak started up about an inch above the drain plug on the inside went inside the epoxy paint and migrated up the pan 1 1/2"-2" up and leaked out. :-huh

Groundrunner 05-27-2002 09:50 PM

Hey, what year was that that Ford warrantied the pan for? I've got an '89 thats looking like water and junk got under the enamel early on and it's on it's last legs, so I'm interested.

Thanks

slsspark 05-28-2002 12:03 AM

raycon 05-28-2002 08:41 AM

Following up.
Leak has stopped. Not by my own doing. Grandpa(89) worked
some "Fels Naptha" bar soap into the pin hole. No leaking yet (+500 miles since soap plug). He said it was a pretty common solution for
plugging pin holes in leaky pans (50 years ago?)

Treating it like a science experiment each time I drive the truck I climb under there with a magnifying glass and look to see if its starting/started to leak...

Purchased JB Weld and have a propane torch,solder and
flux in the truck. Waiting for the soap to run out. Expect today's rain might move things along.

timberbuck 05-28-2002 08:43 AM