Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Supercharged 5.4 Superduty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1300431-supercharged-5-4-superduty.html)

'99 5.4L DUTY 02-27-2014 05:23 PM

Supercharged 5.4 Superduty

I have a 99 f250 5.4l Superduty with 4.10s and a 5-speen manual trans 4X4. i am looking to supercharge it. i want put on the 3.4l whipple for the lightning and the trick flow twisted wedge top end kit and all the other supporting mods ( exhaust/ Fuel system etc).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the forced induction 5.4L and what it takes to make a 5.4l be able to stand up to 30 PSI and around 650hp/ft-lb. Bascly i wanna be able to blow any stock or mild built PSD out of the water and have a Badass dune truck

Also wondering if any knows of the cost of a build of this magnitude. Whipple supercharger kit is about $4500 and Trickflow top-end kit is around $3500 (includes heads cams etc.) I currently only $3200 into the truck and Looking to spend less than $12000 on engine/tuning/air and fuel delivery. I plan on doing most of the work myself minus engine machine work and tuning and what not. DO-ABLE??

This is not a right now project. Currently i am solely in the research stage and most likely wont begin purchasing anything for this build for the next 18 months to two years. if anyone has done anything similar or has some helpful information please let me know so i can begin to "pick your brain.

Thanks
Josh

dscabra 02-27-2014 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by '99 5.4L DUTY (Post 14115218)
I have a 99 f250 5.4l Superduty with 4.10s and a 5-speen manual trans 4X4. i am looking to supercharge it. i want put on the 3.4l whipple for the lightning and the trick flow twisted wedge top end kit and all the other supporting mods ( exhaust/ Fuel system etc).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the forced induction 5.4L and what it takes to make a 5.4l be able to stand up to 30 PSI and around 650hp/ft-lb. Bascly i wanna be able to blow any stock or mild built PSD out of the water and have a Badass dune truck

Also wondering if any knows of the cost of a build of this magnitude. Whipple supercharger kit is about $4500 and Trickflow top-end kit is around $3500 (includes heads cams etc.) I currently only $3200 into the truck and Looking to spend less than $12000 on engine/tuning/air and fuel delivery. I plan on doing most of the work myself minus engine machine work and tuning and what not. DO-ABLE??

This is not a right now project. Currently i am solely in the research stage and most likely wont begin purchasing anything for this build for the next 18 months to two years. if anyone has done anything similar or has some helpful information please let me know so i can begin to "pick your brain.

Thanks
Josh

30 psi of boost is huge! Most super charger boost numbers on OEM cars tend to be 10-12 psi or less. I would expect that to push 30 psi you will need to beef up the entire rotating assembly. Then once you start making that 600+ h.p., the next weak link is going to be the transmission. You might consider talking to a speed shop in your area, as they can probably give you real advice -- not the speculation that I'm providing. :)

redford 02-27-2014 06:05 PM

Here is a video of a 3.4L Whipple installed on a Mustang. At 17Lb of boost they dyno'd well over 600 RWHP. That went up to way over 700RWHP at 21 pounds.

IMHO, 30 pounds of boost is not survivable with your 5.4L.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/2008-shelby-gt500-34l-whipple-supercharger_143464.htm

wbrook_ford 02-28-2014 08:24 AM

While the engine is apart, you might consider a forged rotating assembly. The supercharged F150 Lightnings had a forged crank that is good for lots of power.
Not sure how much power/boost the pistons or rods can take.

If I were to spend 10k+ on my 5.4, I'd go high compression, low boost. That way the motor will be torquey and responsive, plus the boost on top will shred }>

Heck, you could even get a stroker kit for more nuts!

Desert Don 02-28-2014 02:27 PM

Rather than go that route; why not just start here
Ford Racing Parts Now Offering 5.8L GT500 Aluminum Block For Sale - EngineLabs
This would be a hell of a starting point

'99 5.4L DUTY 03-06-2014 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 99150 (Post 14118244)
Rather than go that route; why not just start here
Ford Racing Parts Now Offering 5.8L GT500 Aluminum Block For Sale - EngineLabs
This would be a hell of a starting point

yeah thats gonna be a massive pain in the butt. ill just stick with a 5.4

'99 5.4L DUTY 03-06-2014 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by wbrook_ford (Post 14116946)
While the engine is apart, you might consider a forged rotating assembly. The supercharged F150 Lightnings had a forged crank that is good for lots of power.
Not sure how much power/boost the pistons or rods can take.

If I were to spend 10k+ on my 5.4, I'd go high compression, low boost. That way the motor will be torquey and responsive, plus the boost on top will shred }>

Heck, you could even get a stroker kit for more nuts!

I am going to put all forged internals in it just dont know what to go with or who makes good components for this engine. I would like to put in aftermarket lightning internals, because im sure somebody has got to make kits for those trucks. looking to go better than stock lightning internals. Also is a SD 5.4 shortblock any different from a lightning short block? or can my block be reinforced to handle the power?

wbrook_ford 03-06-2014 09:02 AM

I think all 5.4 iron blocks are more or less the same, save for possibly different mounting bosses for ps pumps, a.c. compressors etc.