Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   VSM? Can Auto Enguinity program new one? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1300273-vsm-can-auto-enguinity-program-new-one.html)

Mowing Man 02-26-2014 07:32 PM

VSM? Can Auto Enguinity program new one?

I just bought an 02 f350 lariat with a v10 in it. I posted over in the super duty section but didn't get a lot of feedback. The door ajar light won't shut off, the door locks don't work, and the lights don't come on when the door opens. I've read that the door latch sensors get sticky, but I don't think that's my issue. My reasoning for that is this- after I shut my other trucks off, the radio stays playing for x amount of time, til you open a door. On this truck, you can open all 4 but it doesn't shut off til the timer runs out. This leads me to believe my VSM is bad. Can anyone confirm or poke a hole in my theory? If it is bad, can I use AutoEnguinity to program a new one, or do I need to go to the dealer? Sorry to post a v10 question, but knowing how this group is with my 7.3's, I figured a lariat is a lariat regardless of the engine, and I'd get more answers from my brothers! Thanks guys!:-drink

aawlberninf350 02-26-2014 11:19 PM

I'd hit the door switches with WD40 and work them loose, see what happens. Bad door locks might just be the usual bad door locks.

Pretty sure it's spelled V$M at the dealer. :-X04

Mowing Man 02-27-2014 05:43 AM

I'll give it a try. PO said he had tried that already, but maybe he didn't spray it liberally enough. I realized my mistake on the abbreviation after posting, but the edit option doesn't let you change the title, unfortunately. Thanks for the input!

SARDiverDan 02-27-2014 06:30 AM

Just an FYI, if you select edit and then select go advanced, you can edit the title.

Mowing Man 02-27-2014 04:27 PM

Thanks Dan!

tjc transport 02-27-2014 04:57 PM

what is a vsm?

Mowing Man 02-27-2014 05:48 PM

Vehicle security module. Different than the GEM.

Y2KW57 02-27-2014 09:21 PM

An NGS can diagnose and reprogram security modules. Some automotive locksmiths use the NGS for that sole reason. Maybe you can locate a local shop with an NGS who can handle your issues without you having to go to a dealer?

F250_ 02-28-2014 02:15 PM

To answer the original question.... No, AE will not allow VSM programming.

Mowing Man 03-16-2014 06:57 PM

Ok, so a friend of mine who has been a Ford mechanic for many years diagnosed my truck as a bad VSM, but he told me Ford doesn't make VSM's anymore. He's looking online for one, but I thought I'd ask you guys if you have any tips for where to look. I tried acoupke of this sites sponsers, but it didn't seem to want to load, and Amazon doesn't pop anything up. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Crashman927 03-17-2014 09:57 AM

My 02 has had the VSM issues for two years now. I finally had my truck scanned by a buddy of mine and as I thought the VSM is bad. It turns out that the VSM modules are on national back order. Last time I check with the stealer ship there computer was saying the VSM should be available at the end of March. Not holding my breath, I've been waiting for about 3-4 months now.

The new module is now going for over $200.00 at my stealer ship here in Nevada. With the help from our friends here on FTE I went to AutoNation Ford White Bear lake Parts (previously Tousley Ford) and they quoted me
$169.00 Just thought I'd share this info.
This is the Part #4C7Z-15604-AC

F250_ 03-17-2014 11:54 AM

If I am not mistaken, the cost of the VSM does NOT include the programming fees which are also very expen$ive.