Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Trailer Tow Mirrors (upgrade for 2002 Exc) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1298501-trailer-tow-mirrors-upgrade-for-2002-exc.html)

sandfarmer 02-18-2014 08:45 PM

I put the knock off's on my EX a few weeks ago and was able to wire up all the options to work as they should, very easy to do and they function as designed for a fraction of the cost of OEM.

mblaksley 02-18-2014 10:15 PM

thanks....what year is your excursion? Did all features work including running lights?

Stewart_H 02-18-2014 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by mblaksley (Post 14082285)
I want the new mirrors to support power adjustment

Just to make sure we're on the same page, you're NOT looking for the power extend and power fold tow mirrors, correct? Just the power adjust mirrors, yes?

Originally Posted by mblaksley (Post 14082654)
Does anyone know how to contact Tony the rep at 1a auto?

Just go to the Vendor forum and find any of his many, many threads, click on his user name and send him a PM.

Stewart

sandfarmer 02-18-2014 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by mblaksley (Post 14083619)
thanks....what year is your excursion? Did all features work including running lights?

Mine is a 2000 and I cut the plugs off my paddle mirrors and wired them onto the new mirrors, was very easy to get it wired properly. Power and heat options all work fine, the left/right is backward but the only way to fix that is to open the mirror and switch the wire on the servo...honestly it's not that big of a deal. The lights had to be wired since they had no lighted mirrors in 2000. I have my wires run from the doors to under the dash but haven't tapped into the clearance light and signal feeds yet. That's going to happen when I have to take the column apart to put in my new shifter and boot soon.

mblaksley 02-18-2014 10:30 PM

thanks......I think all but the running lights should work on my 02. Appreciate the info

mblaksley 02-18-2014 10:51 PM

I really like your installation.....you say you spent about $750.....what did that include? Did you do the installation yourself? Did you have to purchase a new control console for the driver's side door? Video is great, would really appreciate any parts list you used.

Best, Michael

AlaskanEx 02-19-2014 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross (Post 14082687)
...we were just discussing that. My 2000 only had wiring for power/heat (no signals). The OP's truck has signals in the paddle mirrors, but those don't have a running light function.

So...the question: Anyone out there swapped paddle style mirrors with signals? If so, did you have to add the wire for the running light portion, or was that already in the harness?

Yes, my 2002 had the turn signals in the paddle mirrors but no marker light wiring. period.

so what i did with my 1A mirrors is wired the marker light wire to the power window circuit so they come on any time the ignition is on...basically giving me daytime running lights in my mirrors.

I've had my mirrors for a few months now and i LOVE them!!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...psxqreylvj.jpg

mblaksley 02-19-2014 11:26 PM

I ordered my mirrors today fro 1a auto. I'm so excited and can't wait to put them on. But, I want to thank everyone that took the time to chime in on all their experiences with installation and potential obstacles. After all these years of having internet services I'm still amazed at the quality of this list and the participants that take their time to enlighten and improve our trucks with their expertise. My hat is off to all of you who encouraged me to "go for it". I've wanted to do this upgrade for over a year but was unsure of what my 02 could support and the quality of aftermarket products. I know I will love my new mirrors and the credit goes to all of you on the forum.

Best, Michael:-drink

ExxWhy 02-20-2014 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by mblaksley (Post 14087690)
I ordered my mirrors today fro 1a auto. I'm so excited and can't wait to put them on. But, I want to thank everyone that took the time to chime in on all their experiences with installation and potential obstacles. After all these years of having internet services I'm still amazed at the quality of this list and the participants that take their time to enlighten and improve our trucks with their expertise. My hat is off to all of you who encouraged me to "go for it". I've wanted to do this upgrade for over a year but was unsure of what my 02 could support and the quality of aftermarket products. I know I will love my new mirrors and the credit goes to all of you on the forum.

Best, Michael:-drink

Careful, it gets kinda expensive hanging around here sometimes! }>

mblaksley 02-20-2014 12:22 AM

Good point...but as we all know....you can't take it with you! Best, Michael

1Aauto 03-06-2014 03:08 PM

Thanks for the plugs guys. If anyone has questions about the tow mirrors that we carry, you can shoot me a PM and I'll help you out.

Tony

BEARDOWN 03-06-2014 04:24 PM

I just got my set today. I went with the 99+ style. You got to love same day shipping from 1A Auto!! I had mine in 2 days. These look some quality pieces.

sandfarmer 03-06-2014 11:30 PM

I did finally wire mine up the other night during the process of putting a new shifter in the column while I had the wires exposed. It was Very easy to tap into signals off of the Turn signal switch and the clearance lights off of the Headlight switch, works slick now!

Bigfoot151 03-23-2014 03:18 PM

Has anyone wired the clearance lights on the mirrors to a circuit that only comes on with the interior lights/running board lights? I am thinking that may be the original function of these lights. If so, where and how did you tap in to get the power?
Thank you.

mblaksley 06-09-2014 01:34 PM

Chrome caps for trailer towing mirrors?

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx (Post 14084022)
Yes, my 2002 had the turn signals in the paddle mirrors but no marker light wiring. period.

so what i did with my 1A mirrors is wired the marker light wire to the power window circuit so they come on any time the ignition is on...basically giving me daytime running lights in my mirrors.

I've had my mirrors for a few months now and i LOVE them!!!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...psxqreylvj.jpg

Where did you find the chrome caps for your mirrors? I just installed the TT mirrors and would like to find the chrome caps. Also...my running lights do not work as my excursion is an 02.