Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum249/)
-   -   New to Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1297253-new-to-chapter.html)

Dave 64 02-12-2014 03:07 PM

New to Chapter

A Quick Hi and Thanks for accepting me into the Oz chapter, as mentioned previously in another section, been on main site for a little while.

If I post to the wrong forum, don't descend upon me like a ton of bricks, just write it off as "old timers" disease. Not all that computer literate, but seem to be able to get my message across.

Cheers, Dave 64

Brad from Oz 02-12-2014 11:04 PM

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the Aussie pages, where we understand what each other are saying :-X22

SSSimon 02-13-2014 02:45 AM

Yes, welcome Dave, ask away!

Dave 64 02-13-2014 04:10 AM

Thanks Guys!

Actually, may have a question that possibly Brad may be able to answer. Know very little about Ford F trucks, but came by an early girl F350 as described in other areas of this site, took a lot of sorting out as to just what it is, but we got there!

I am doing up a "project' that at this stage looks like using the front disc brakes from either an early Bronco and/or F100 4X4, but not quite sure just when they started appearing in OZ. I think they came out in the mid seventies as an optional extra, but didn't become factory standard until early eighties? I will stand correcting by all means. I am interested in the 5 stud lug pattern, open Knuckle , disc brake versions, only guessing here, but would think around 1975 through to 1983?? If I have this right, early Bronco's came out with open knuckle Dana 30 front ends, some with discs, but the F100 4X4 came out with a Dana 44 open knuckle? Hopefully someone will put me right on this. Would certainly appreciate any help.

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. Is there are forum within the Oz chapter that deals with specific mechanical queries?

Brad from Oz 02-13-2014 05:27 PM

Hi Dave,

Sorry, I'm only new to F-trucks myself and my ute is only the 2wd version, maybe ask these guys F-Trucks Australia they seem to deal with those years a lot.

You are looking at 2 different body/chassis models though so maybe things that were options in the late 70's became standard in the "bullnose model".
Maybe ask on the Bullnose section of the forum.

I don't think there are any sub sections of the Aus chapter, just post your new thread like you posted this one.

BigF350 02-14-2014 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dave 64 (Post 14062837)
Thanks Guys!

Actually, may have a question that possibly Brad may be able to answer. Know very little about Ford F trucks, but came by an early girl F350 as described in other areas of this site, took a lot of sorting out as to just what it is, but we got there!

I am doing up a "project' that at this stage looks like using the front disc brakes from either an early Bronco and/or F100 4X4, but not quite sure just when they started appearing in OZ. I think they came out in the mid seventies as an optional extra, but didn't become factory standard until early eighties? I will stand correcting by all means. I am interested in the 5 stud lug pattern, open Knuckle , disc brake versions, only guessing here, but would think around 1975 through to 1983?? If I have this right, early Bronco's came out with open knuckle Dana 30 front ends, some with discs, but the F100 4X4 came out with a Dana 44 open knuckle? Hopefully someone will put me right on this. Would certainly appreciate any help.

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. Is there are forum within the Oz chapter that deals with specific mechanical queries?

First, welcome!

You can post your Oz specific tech questions here.
I know in the states, Disc brakes were installed on the front from 1976 in both the Bronco and the F100, and typically our trucks mirrored theirs pretty closely for chassis stuff, so I guess it was the same years.

Dana 44's were fitted to all 4x4 F100's, and the Early Bronco's from Model Year 71.5 onwards. There is a difference in the axle width for the EB's and F100's, but knuckles from both (of the same knuckle/hub pattern type) should interchange.

You might find this page helpful: Dana 44 Solid Front Axle: Reverse Spiral and Standard Housing info..

Dave 64 02-14-2014 03:33 PM

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies.

Ok, so if we take it that Ford started using a readily available disc brake front end in their Bronco's and F100 4X4's late seventies/early eighties, usually what period would that cover? I have to be more specific here, as Dana changed the open knuckle to a later "FLAT TOP" design which I don't have access to. I have a set of open knuckles here, part numbers :- First letter either G OR C then 37936 R, the other G OR C then 37937 L, obviously marked right and left. What I'm trying to determine is just what year these came out of. Developing a project that requires the entire disc brake system from the KNUCKLES OUT! Diff is irrelevant EXCEPT for a reference to identify the year spread these knuckles were used. Should have also added that the 5 stud, 5 1/2" pattern is critical to fitment.

One thing I did note though, the Ford knuckles I have here only have the ONE hole for the tie rod/steering linkage either side. I am NOT familiar with Ford, but have had a bit to do with both Jeep and Inter Scout open knuckle steering, where both had TWO mounting holes either side, one for rod steering box to left hand side arm, the other to link the two front steering arms together. Did Ford use an earlier Jeep style "double ball joint" affair like the Jeeps built in Australia early sixties as in CJ 6's??

Bloke loaned me the knuckles to look at, he MAY have enough bits and pieces to make up the complete set, but still need to positively identify what era. Going to look a bit strange if I go to a brake joint for pads or whatever and they ask me what year and I stand there with a blank look on my face!
What would be invaluable would be if someone has an exploded view of the disc brake set up from say mid to late seventies to early eighties, that's about as close as we can narrow the bits we have here.. Only really looking for the section that deals with the area from the open knuckles OUT.
Have been to those pages of Mr.N's before and although not bad for identifying complete axles, seem to be a bit sketchy, lots of photos of rusted or snow buried parts if you are able to decipher them by that, I can't. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right area, not all that brilliant at trying to narrow down searches. Can follow directions if given, but find the whole internet thing hugely frustrating except for writing emails or posting to forums.

Hopefully someone here may have done major surgery on these early open knuckle disc brake 5 stud front ends. If you wouldn't mind referring me to someone who can answer simply and point me in the right direction, would be hugely appreciated. Plenty of helpful, well meaning people out there, "Just throw what your got in the back of the ute and bring it over and I'll tell you straight away!" Yeah, great, I'm in central Vic and they are just a few mile south of Alice Springs! Well, you know what I mean.

Thoroughly enjoy these forums, get a wide variety of topics as well as answers, that's what it's all about! Just hope I have made myself clear, sometimes have trouble understanding something I've written, myself. Bear with me.

Cheers, Dave 64

BigF350 02-14-2014 04:54 PM

1976-1979 is the period. They went the independent TTB D44 front ends in 1980.

If you a complete axle, and just want disc brakes, I think Willwood make a bolt on disc brake kit for Drum brake D44's. Check in the 1973-1979 forum.

Dave 64 02-14-2014 05:13 PM

Thanks,
Ok, year seems to be sorted. Have made a few inquiries getting stuff ex States to here, costs of shipping large consignments prohibitive. Should be plenty of stuff around that era to be had locally now I can pin down the year.

Cheers, Dave 64

BigF350 02-14-2014 08:46 PM

If you need it in the future, other members here have had good luck with USAtoAUS | Locating American Cars for Import for larger items.

Dave 64 02-20-2014 04:25 PM

Dana front axle exploded view

Hi,
Hoping someone may be able to post an exploded view of a Ford F100 4X4 open knuckle front Dana axle from 1976-1979 era. Been trying the local swap meets/markets but so far no good. Likewise local library still searching. Really only need the view of the actual knuckles OUT, i.e. the disc brake set up and the actual steering linkages from the Pitman arm to where they join the actual knuckle arm.

Either that or direct me to a site that may have already posted same?

Would be much appreciated,
Thanks, Dave.

BigF350 02-20-2014 04:54 PM

Dave, you are probably best to ask in the truck specific forum: 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums