Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   unconfusing Mercoron SP myths (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1297247-unconfusing-mercoron-sp-myths.html)

speakerfritz 02-12-2014 02:49 PM

unconfusing Mercoron SP myths

so been reading that a lot of owners will sledge hammer you if you say you are using syntheric ATF in your f-250 torqueshift tranny. in my case I have an 2005, and the book calls for Mercorn SP. supposedly only available by motor craft and supposedly not avail from anyone in synthetic.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...3iBCObS641xLZQ

Wolf’s Head Super Universal Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

is such a superior

transmission fluid that it may be used wherever established fluids are required or specified by all

OEMs around the world including but not limited to General Motors approved Dexron® fluids

including Dexron® VI and GM T-IV; Ford Motor Company's Mercon® approved fluids including

Mercon® V, Mercon® SP and Mercon® ; Honda ATF-Z1, VTM-4, DW-1, DPF, Mercedes Benz,

Mitsubishi Diamond SP II, SP III, SP-IV, and Toyota T-IV and WS and many others.

Snowseeker 02-12-2014 07:03 PM

My local bumper to bumper store has ford SP on the shelf. It is also where I got my ford gold coolant.

Tom 02-12-2014 07:45 PM

Stay WELL away from this stuff. The Mercon V and SP specs aren't compatible with each other. Meaning it's impossible for a transmission fluid to meet both requirements. I wouldn't put that stuff in a snowblower let alone something as complex as an automatic transmission.

Why not use the factory specified fluid?

Kdr358 02-12-2014 09:20 PM

Anything other than SP will ruin your transmission very fast. IIRC SP is a synthetic fluid. Mercron V is along the lines of a semi-syn blend. Modern transmissions should only be serviced with what the book calls for, in this case Use SP. I also think SP was replaced by LV. I am not an expert but I personally would only put in what the factory service manual says when it comes to modern transmissions. That being said I would not put "wolfs head" or any "universal" fluid in any of my vehicles.

flainn 04-17-2014 09:01 AM

You can get Motorcraft Mercon SP at O'Reilly Auto, at least in Albuquerque. I haven't found any other place that has it.

speakerfritz 04-17-2014 12:00 PM

was in autozone looking at a qt of Mobil 1 syn ATF. Bottle says not recommedned for SP and LV applications.

meborder 04-17-2014 12:42 PM

to add to the confusion:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=154326

Lubbockguy1979 04-17-2014 03:26 PM

Ive see sp in orilleys and even napa. You can also use mercon lv.

Gage2502 04-17-2014 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lubbockguy1979 (Post 14270566)
Ive see sp in orilleys and even napa. You can also use mercon lv.

The Orilleys by me has both Motorcraft MERCON LV and SP...I thought that Motorcraft was going to stop making the SP?
...Gage

Tom 04-17-2014 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gage2502 (Post 14270617)
The Orilleys by me has both Motorcraft MERCON LV and SP...I thought that Motorcraft was going to stop making the SP?
...Gage

They stopped making it a few years ago. But, as you can imagine, SP isn't a high volume seller when it was only used for the TorqShift. I believe they're just expending their old inventory.

Louisville Joe 04-17-2014 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 14270628)
They stopped making it a few years ago. But, as you can imagine, SP isn't a high volume seller when it was only used for the TorqShift. I believe they're just expending their old inventory.

The latest I heard was SP had been discontinued, but was being brought back because there really isn't a substitute for it. No question SP is not compatible with Mercon V. Wasn't LV supposed to replace SP?

Also been told the new Ford long life coolant is Dexcool.

Lubbockguy1979 04-17-2014 04:24 PM

Last tranny service I ponied up and bought sp. Eventhough the lv was a replacement. For me it was just piece of mind.

Kdr358 04-17-2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Louisville Joe (Post 14270658)
The latest I heard was SP had been discontinued, but was being brought back because there really isn't a substitute for it. No question SP is not compatible with Mercon V. Wasn't LV supposed to replace SP?

Also been told the new Ford long life coolant is Dexcool.

They are not bringing back SP there was a TSB about it a little while back. Just flush out all the SP and replace with LV.

Ford's LL coolant is closer to an OAT ELC than dexcool. Its the same color red and smell as the Rotella HD ELC that I ran in my 7.3.

meborder 04-17-2014 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 14270628)

i'm curious whether they actually discontinued SP or not.

according to the chart, SP is still the specified fluid for two transmissions, the 6r60/6r75 being one of them.

being that they are still recommending SP, and have not replaced it with LV across the board, it would seem that they still need to make it, even if in limited lots.

OR

at some point they are going to have to make it compatible with the older 6r's.

OR

they are going to have some seriously PO'd expedition owners.....

Kdr358 04-17-2014 08:57 PM

I was confused about that also, I asked the tech at ford when I had my 07 E350 5.4 transmission fluid replaced. The dipstick says "Mercron SP", the tech told me that they are switching to LV as a suitable replacement. If it is LV I haven't noticed a difference.

The ford dealer I use does not regularly stock SP anymore but they always have to order anything above 12qts.