Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Ashtray conversion to drink holder (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1295746-ashtray-conversion-to-drink-holder.html)

Tyler S 02-05-2014 07:50 AM

Ashtray conversion to drink holder

Has anyone converted their F1 ashtray to a cup holder? Wondering if its possible and practical...t

bobj49f2 02-05-2014 09:04 AM

I don't smoke so I've converted my to a key holder, a junk box and numerous other uses.

Seriously, I never thought about that. It sounds like a good idea and I can't see how hard it would be to insert a plate with an appropriate sized hole to hold a cup. I don't know if it'd be big enough to hold a standard cup though.

One thing to think is the ride of these old trucks, I don't know if yours has a modified suspension but with my F-2 if I had cup full of liquid in the ash tray the contents would be flying out with every bump I'd hit. Better have a lid on it.

Doc 02-05-2014 09:09 AM

Agreed. The tray is too small. You'd have to do a lot of modifying or design something that slides straight out like a modern cupholder.

I will say this--I found that ashtray makes a great sound amplifier for your MP3 player, smartphone, etc. I was listening to Pandora on my smartphone back in the summer. I stuck it down in that ashtray. The sound amplification was pretty good. Try it!

Tyler S 02-05-2014 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 14034698)
Agreed. The tray is too small. You'd have to do a lot of modifying or design something that slides straight out like a modern cupholder. I will say this--I found that ashtray makes a great sound amplifier for your MP3 player, smartphone, etc. I was listening to Pandora on my smartphone back in the summer. I stuck it down in that ashtray. The sound amplification was pretty good. Try it!

Hey, that'd be lot cheaper than a $1000 stereo system!!

bobj49f2 02-05-2014 09:27 AM

I installed a dual port power port in my F-2 so I could power my GPS and phone, I still have the stock positive ground 6 volt system. It worked great. Just recently I bought a USB speaker that plugs into the back of my phone charger, which has a USB port, and a jack that plugs into my phone. Now I can turn the volume up high enough to hear over truck.

FortyNiner 02-05-2014 10:33 AM

You may want to reach out to Ben73058 - as I recall, he installed some swinging cup holders in a '50...

GLR 02-05-2014 11:08 AM

If you put a couple of old boots on the floor, they make good cup holders.

49f3dls 02-05-2014 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by GLR (Post 14035118)
If you put a couple of old boots on the floor, they make good cup holders.

And they look period correct also }>

bobj49f2 02-05-2014 01:37 PM

One idea I'd like to offer is if you're not using the stock radio and speaker you could turn your speaker grill into a hidden cup holder. I've posted before about how a person I knew mounted the plastic speaker grill on a piece of sheet metal that followed the contour of the dash. He then hinged the bottom and use a spring loaded key chain to pull it back into position to hide a modern sound system control unit. You could do the same thing but install a couple of short pieces of PVC pipe that would fit the bottom of the cups. When not in use it would fold back up to the dash.

rhopper 02-05-2014 04:59 PM

My heat and ac controls are mounted where the ashtray used to be. I'm using boat cup holders that I've installed on the forward, upper portion of the doors, below the vent windows. They're the fold out type, available in any boat or camping store.

homade 02-05-2014 05:59 PM

I'm using tractor supply fold out tractor cup holders, about 3 1/2 in square, mount on door below cozy wing,about 3/4 in thick pulled down and spring fingers open up. Ofcourse they are black and with a small blue oval self adheasive logo they look right at home.

Tyler S 02-05-2014 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by rhopper (Post 14036274)
My heat and ac controls are mounted where the ashtray used to be. I'm using boat cup holders that I've installed on the forward, upper portion of the doors, below the vent windows. They're the fold out type, available in any boat or camping store.

Hey Hopper can you post a pic of those on this thread? Thx in advance. T

Tyler S 02-05-2014 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by homade (Post 14036459)
I'm using tractor supply fold out tractor cup holders, about 3 1/2 in square, mount on door below cozy wing,about 3/4 in thick pulled down and spring fingers open up. Ofcourse they are black and with a small blue oval self adheasive logo they look right at home.

Homade, my man, can you post a pic of your cup holders? Thx! T

bra$$monkey 02-05-2014 07:20 PM

I use mine as a phone holder - holds it perfectly so I can use the GPS

Jolly Roger Joe 02-05-2014 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by bra$$monkey (Post 14036702)
I use mine as a phone holder - holds it perfectly so I can use the GPS

Same here. I also use an app on my phone for a speedometer, since my speedo is so far off calibration.