Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   N. California Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum90/)
-   -   February 2014 all topic thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1294871-february-2014-all-topic-thread.html)

Y2KW57 02-25-2014 11:11 AM

Jim... what made you decide to sell your Jag? And didn't you have two of them?

There used to be a Jag owner's club based in Moraga. It was more of a newsletter. Not sure if it is still circulating or not. I subscribed to it 30 years ago. Also, Joe's in Walnut Creek might be a good place to inform about your intentions to sell. Your S is a 12 cylinder right? Those motors are probably increasingly difficult to find. In 1980 something, I put a set of OEM S wheels on my 6, and I've often wondered if the wheels are now worth more than the car.

Nighteyez 02-25-2014 11:41 AM

What made me decide to sell my Jag? The main reason is it is uncomfortable to drive due to my disability. My right knee does not bend more than 40 degrees, and the XJ-S has no power seats, so I can't get comfortable in it on long trips. Have to resort to using my cane as a cruise control device. Getting in it is not too bad, but getting out of it with a straight right leg is hard. The second reason is I need the money. I originally wanted to start a car flipping business to live on however, I have made several mistakes already, and now have no money to work with. I bought 3 cars instead of one, two of the cars are Jags, and one was a POS VW Jetta that I should never have bought. I took a $1,600 loss on that sorry excuse for a car. The white XJ6 breaks down every two weeks. I bought it several months ago, drove it two weeks, and went on a Euro car cruise down the Pacific Coast Highway only to have a timing chain tensioner come loose and hit the timing chain, which then tried to kick it out the oil pan. It sat for a month or so waiting for my mechanic to get the time to work on it. By then the battery had died, so I bought a battery. Mechanic replaces the oil pan, timing chain and tensioner. I drive it two weeks, and then the #2 cylinder stops firing. So I buy 6 spark plugs and installed them yesterday. I have not started the car yet, as the mechanic had to fix a persistent oil leak, and the gasket making material needs time to fully dry. Will go out today and see if the non firing problem is fixed, or I need to get a coil on plug (which is either $488, or $367 depending on if I get it at O'Rielly's or Autozone). I found out about a week ago, that the battery is dead in the black XJ-S, and it might need an alternator. It is at my main mechanic's brother's place as I loaned it to him to see if he could sell it.

I originally bought the XJ6 for myself, and was going to keep it. Then I saw the XJ-S, and decided I wanted to keep that one instead, after already spending $1,000 on the white one for things it needed, like missing lights and a bad electric antenna, and I had a Viper alarm installed also. I drove the XJ-S for about a month before finally convincing myself I had to sell it because it was too painful to drive. During that time is when I bought the Jetta thinking I could make a quick sale while I get the Jags ready to sell. That turned out to be a poor decision because I made a huge mistake when buying a car off Craigslist. NEVER believe the seller! ALWAYS test drive the car before you buy it. The person who showed me the car was in a wheelchair, and he told me he was selling the car for his brother. He stated all it needed was a radiator and there was an exhaust leak somewhere. He also stated he did not have the title as he bought it from a tow company, and showed me the paperwork for it. I could not drive the car myself because it was a stick shift, and with my bad knee I can't get my right foot above the brake pedal so I need to use my left. Which means I have no foot for the clutch. So, I did not drive it. I did start it up and listen to it. Anyway, to make a long story short, the Jetta was basically trashed by a previous owner (probably the one who lost it to the tow company) and had all kinds of front end damage, needed a clutch and pressure plate, two clutch rods (which are dealer only and cost $52 each) a battery, one wheel, and numerous other bits and pieces. And to top it all off, when I finally got a buyer to come out and look at it, we found out there was water in the oil. Hence the $1,600 loss. He offered $800 and I said "SOLD!"

Once both Jags are sold, I will try again to buy a car, or most likely a truck, at a low price, and sell it for a profit. If I am unable to, then I will just sell my F350, and custom made car trailer, and figure out something else to do for income.

Jim

Y2KW57 02-25-2014 12:45 PM

Wow, you've been through the ringer Jim. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your eventual success.

INFAMOUS_RED460 02-25-2014 04:59 PM

I thought things sucked for me Jim lol good luck though "El Presidente".

Nighteyez 02-25-2014 05:04 PM

Thanks. I have it listed on a Jaguar forum, as well as Autotrader.com, Craigslist, and eBay. The white one is currently on Autotrader.com, because I paid for both to run until they sell, but I don't have it on Craigslist or eBay because I want to get that misfire problem fixed first. Once that is done, I will list it on Craigslist again, and put it on eBay as well.

Jim

INFAMOUS_RED460 02-25-2014 09:36 PM

If you need another truck Jim im probably going to sell mine unfortunately.

Nighteyez 02-25-2014 10:01 PM

If I end up selling the F350 and trailer, I will not buy another truck. I will buy a small travel trailer that the Bronco can handle, and put the rest of the money in the savings account as a buffer for any future emergencies. I have invested in a couple of home based businesses, and will give them a try. If I can get them to work, I will do that for my main source of income and do the car flipping as a hobby for extra income for a gtg or vacation or whatever. I love that F350, even though it gets terrible gas mileage. I just wish it was not a brick nose. LOL.
Jim

04badford 02-25-2014 10:30 PM

Wishing the Best O luck to you Jim, once summer roles around I'm sure somebody will strike a deal with you I'll keep the word out for you too.

Hank I hope I didn't Confuse the Situation ? My mined was 15 different directions. It was Nice to meet you as I have been meeting a lot of Other So Cal and Nor Cal Members, This week end we can Hook my Gauge up and see If yours is on the right Path , I will make sure my X Gauge PIDs and Values are in the truck this time:-X22

and Now for the Weather Report== Dark widely scatterd dark until Morning, then it will be widely scatterd light until it Rains ( we hope):-wink

Nighteyez 02-25-2014 11:14 PM

No rain forecast here until tomorrow afternoon, early evening. Can't wait to get a free truck wash. :)

Jim

olfordsnstone 02-26-2014 12:07 AM

Awe, Jim, you'll probably just go out and make it all muddy, after the rain.

hanklin 02-26-2014 07:18 AM

Cool meeting you Scott. I programmed the FMP with all the codes but it was showing 124 ?? re-entered and same thing so I stopped there. I`ll talk to you before weeks end and btw offer still stands to take your guys to brewery on Friday.

hanklin 02-26-2014 07:20 AM

Morn gang.
Bundle up cause here comes wet! I can pour all weekend as my butt will (should) be parked inside with a nice fire.

Nighteyez 02-26-2014 10:42 AM

Happy humpeth day Nor Cal FTE and friends. Stay dry if you can, or go outside and party in the rain, Lord knows we need it.

Jim

Nighteyez 02-26-2014 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by olfordsnstone (Post 14108935)
Awe, Jim, you'll probably just go out and make it all muddy, after the rain.

You know me too well. :)

Jim

CLINT-THE-GREAT 02-26-2014 03:06 PM

Afternoon Jim, Hank and RIck

-The Great