Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   New member with a 1956 C-600 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1294506-new-member-with-a-1956-c-600-a.html)

Badmoonreizen 01-30-2014 11:13 AM

New member with a 1956 C-600

Hello all:
I joined last week when I acquired my 1956 C-600, and after doing plenty of research. From the vin, it appears the "z" engine code designates a 272 cu. in. OHV 8 cylinder heavy duty engine. I thought these had a 292 in them, but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

A good friend who owns a salvage yard here in Michigan , when he heard of my acquisition, sent over a Ford E-350 complete chassis with a V-10 motor and heavy duty transmission, in excellent condition. Looks like I will attempt to transplant the cab, and have all the modern conveniences such a four wheel disc brakes and heavy duty suspension. I will probably end up with a pickup rather than a hauler, since I'm not sure I have the skills for a ramped hauler.

Both cab steps are fairly well rotted, but I have no idea where to obtain a set. Do I have to have them fabricated from scratch, or does someone make them ? The only other rust-out is on the back-side of the cab. Will a patch panel from some of the smaller trucks fit, or does this have to fabricated also?

I'm sure I will have many other questions as I progress, and will be grateful for your collective wisdom and suggestions.

Regards, Mark.

dmack91 01-30-2014 11:19 AM

Welcome to the Forum. You have found a great place for info and help.

I will let the others familiar with COE's chime in on the parts question. I will caution you that frame swaps are much more difficult than just bolting a cab onto a frame and making a bed. Many are started and few are completed. Most recommend retaining the original frame and upgrading from there, but it is your project and you should proceed as you want. Just be realistic in your time and $$ budget, as well as your skill level.

The general rule is multiply your cost estimate by 3 and your time estimate by 4.

And remember, we like pics.

Wayne Waldrep 01-30-2014 11:24 AM

Hey Mark. Welcome to FTE. I'm not a large truck person so I can't help with the specifics. There are many on here that can and will be along to help you out with your questions. You will also get a post with all the info you need about posting pics...which is a REQUIREMENT :D We love pics. Last comment I will make is you will get both sides of the frame swap debate. Most all the advice you get will be good solid advice....even the ones telling you "it will just end up as a pile of parts that are never finish." Personally that is all up to you and shouldn't discourage you. Make a plan and stick to it the best you can. Anything is possible and you will learn a lot along the way. Good luck!!

Oh, under your "user CP" go into "edit profile" and add where you are if you will. Helps us to see where you are and who may be close to you. Thanks!

EDIT: Don must have started typing before me.....lol

Badmoonreizen 01-30-2014 11:29 AM

1956 C-600

Thanks for the response. I am not a novice, except to COE's, having restored a 1958 GMC Suburban Carryall, a 1950 F-1, a 1939 Ford Coupe, a 1975 C-J 5 Jeep, a 1929 Model A Rat rod (which I just finished), and some tractors and a bulldozer.

Fortunately, I have many skilled friends who are always happy to help, so I think I can muddle through it.

I did post some pictures to my album here, and will add to it as I progress. Hopefully, the money won't run out before my body!!

Badmoonreizen 01-30-2014 11:41 AM

1956 C-600

Thanks Wayne, for the kind words of encouragement. and hopefully you can access my album. I edited my profile as you suggested, so anyone close to Howell, Michigan can come get their hands dirty, or at least have a coffee.

Regards, Mark.

Wayne Waldrep 01-30-2014 11:43 AM

Thats a very nice find....looks to be in great shape. Here ya go with a pic post..

http://www.waynewaldrep.com/picturehosting/c600.jpg

Nojive55 01-30-2014 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen (Post 14012981)
A good friend....sent over a Ford E-350 complete chassis with a V-10 motor and heavy duty transmission, in excellent condition.

I should have such good friends.

tinman52 01-30-2014 01:54 PM

Welcome. Your options for steps/skirts is to find some decent used ones or fab them.....they are not reproduced to my knowledge.
Nice to see another COE being saved.

We need pics of the bulldozer....

Badmoonreizen 01-30-2014 02:46 PM

I posted a pic of the Case 350 dozer in my album, but can't figure out how to get it here. Somewhere I have a picture after the restoration, and when I find it, I'll put it up.

I'll look for a used set of steps in good shape, but it may be a needle in a haystack. I know a fellow a few miles from me who was formerly chief fabricator for Roush who can make anything, but it will be expensive.

Chris 56 f6 01-30-2014 09:21 PM

I too had a freind give me his old e350 ford van with a v10. I m looking for a coe from the 40's . Can you please post photos of the body of the van removed? And welcome to FTE!
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...psdf83ddec.jpg

jmadsen 01-30-2014 10:28 PM

Welcome to FTE
I saved a set of steps and running boards from a 54 COE that was a parts donor. Idea was to use them on my 53 C600 MH but they arent a whole lot better than what i have.

Badmoonreizen 01-31-2014 05:02 AM

Chris:
At the moment, we have 4 foot snow drifts here in Michigan, and I can't get to the chassis in my open heavy equipment barn. 4-7 more inches expected tonight and tomorrow, but I will post some pics of the chassis without the body as soon as we thaw out.

Jmadsen: Will other coe steps from the 50's fit the C-600? It might make my search a little bit easier.

Thanks for responding.

NumberDummy 01-31-2014 07:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen (Post 14012981)
I joined last week when I acquired my 1956 C600, and after doing plenty of research. From the vin, it appears the "z" engine code designates a 272 cu. in. OHV 8 cylinder heavy duty engine.

I thought these had a 292 in them, but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Welcome to FTE

292 introduced in 1955 Thunderbird and Ford/Merc Passenger Cars, but was not available in trucks until 1957.

Pic is from 1948/56 Ford Truck Parts Catalog (available on a C/D from hipoparts.com).

51dueller 01-31-2014 08:32 AM

What year is the Econoline? If its 2005+ your probably going to have issues getting the computer reprogrammed to run without much of the factory wiring. 2004 and older is much easier to modify but only if someone out there has created a "definition file" for the tuning software. Econolines aren't exactly the attention of the Ford tuning community compared to the mustangs.

Badmoonreizen 01-31-2014 11:23 AM

Thanks for the engine info, that clears up one misconception. The E-350 chassis is a 2001. I am aware of a fellow down south that will make up a complete harness to avoid the fuel injection and the computer module, so I can carbureate the engine. I am still debating whether or not to use the V-10 or a different engine and trans.

51dueller 01-31-2014 08:20 PM

I haven't seen any carbureted intakes for the 6.8L. I know they make them for the 4.6L and 5.4L.

A thing to check on the rear disc brakes is the type of park brake assembly. Depending on the GVW it either has "drum in hat" park brake or transmission mounted park brake. It would affect your choice of drive train if you plan on changing it.

Badmoonreizen 02-01-2014 04:46 AM

Thanks, 51 dueller for that information. Just another(important) piece of the puzzle I have to solve on my journey.

jmadsen 02-01-2014 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen (Post 14015800)
Chris:
At the moment, we have 4 foot snow drifts here in Michigan, and I can't get to the chassis in my open heavy equipment barn. 4-7 more inches expected tonight and tomorrow, but I will post some pics of the chassis without the body as soon as we thaw out.

Jmadsen: Will other coe steps from the 50's fit the C-600? It might make my search a little bit easier.

Thanks for responding.

Im not 100% sure about 56 but the 53-55 C series or COE steps should be the same. The 56 does appear to be the same, i just havent seen a 56 in person to know for certain.

Badmoonreizen 02-01-2014 11:13 AM

I hope you are right. If someone nearby has one , I could bring 'em over and know for sure.

NumberDummy 02-01-2014 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1953/56 C500/900 Cab Forward:

BHAA-16406-A .. Right & BHAA-16407-A Left .. Running Board & Skirt Assy.

Badmoonreizen 02-01-2014 03:14 PM

Thanks! That parts diagram puts to rest the step conundrum. Now to hopefully find 53-56 steps in decent condition.

NumberDummy 02-01-2014 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen (Post 14021031)
Thanks! That parts diagram puts to rest the step conundrum. Now to hopefully find 53-56 steps in decent condition.

Posted the pic from the: 1948/56 Ford Truck Parts Catalog .. available on a C/D from hipoparts.com

Badmoonreizen 02-13-2014 02:18 PM

Chris: I put in my album pics of the chassis of the E-350 with the body removed. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further detail.

Mark.

Ken Newman 01-19-2016 09:05 PM

Hi Mark, How's the COE coming along?

Badmoonreizen 01-20-2016 05:28 AM

1956 C 600

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Ken:

I guess I have been derelict in posting the progress I have been making. Blasted, painted, and totally rebuilt the E-350 chassis. Rebuilt the 302, and a friend is working on the C6 trans.
Mounted the cab to the chassis, and this week working on the steering connection, and mounting the brake pedal and booster.

I have a set of new fiberglass steps, which are perfect. I was going to put a 9" bed on the monster, but a friend has a deco wrecker body with boom and all, so I am going to look at it in the next week. If it is in good shape, I might go in that direction. Trying to figure out what wheel and tire will fill that monstrous space.

I'll try to take some current ones as soon as the steering is in place, and the engine and trans are mocked up in place, to put a little weight on the front end.

Regards, Mark.

pweng1 01-20-2016 12:39 PM

Mark
Can you show me what you're using for steering wheel and short column.

Badmoonreizen 01-20-2016 03:58 PM

I should have the steering in by the weekend, and I'll take some pictures and post them. I am using an original nos steering wheel which came with the truck. I am using the original column, and cut off the outside sheath near the firewall. The shaft itself is 7/8" od which is a strange size, but I found a weldable u joint, heim, and vibration reducing bearing with the proper id. Got them from mooreparts.com in California, which supplies Volkswagen and off road parts.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I finish welding up the parts and position the steering wheel, since I'm using the stock bench seat.

Regards, Mark.

Badmoonreizen 02-06-2016 01:21 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Well, after much hair pulling, I finally hooked up the steering to the E-350 box. The splined steering shaft is 7/8" od, and had to cut a lot off to make everything fit. I had to use 1 weld on u-joint, a vibration reducer rubber isolated bearing, and a heim to make sure it was totally secure.

The shaft goes almost straight down, with just enough of an angle so the u-joints don't bind. The second u-joint is the original attached to the power steering box on the E-350 chassis. Plug welded it to make sure it can't come out. Interestingly enough, the splined shaft is the same used in early beetles and dune buggies. Can't find that od anywhere else.

Next, hooking up the booster, pedals and master cylinder, and then mounting the engine & trans.

Ken Newman 02-06-2016 06:11 PM

Looking great.

Badmoonreizen 02-06-2016 08:19 PM

Thanks Ken. Been measuring 50 times and cutting once.

Are you finished with your '53?

Ken Newman 02-06-2016 08:24 PM

Not even close. Been down with the flu for more than a week.

Ken Newman 02-06-2016 08:43 PM

I'm using the column and steering wheel from the engine's donor '96 F250 so the cruise control and blinkers will be easier to make work. I'm hoping I can make the column shift work too. I've been lazy and haven't done much to it lately.

tinman52 02-06-2016 10:04 PM

Looking good! I like that you kept the original column and wheel.

Badmoonreizen 02-07-2016 05:14 AM

Thanks Scott, going to lift the original seat into the cab today to make sure all the pedals work, and I have plenty of room.

Ken: Flu in Arizona? Shouldn't happen. feel better, and don't contaminate the truck.

Regards, Mark.

Badmoonreizen 04-12-2016 02:40 PM

Engine & trans in and welded.

5 Attachment(s)
Finally welded in the 302 motor and C6 trans mounts, and stuffed the whole kit and caboodle in the engine compartment.

Next, on to welding in a chunk of steel for the core support and all the other crap that goes ahead of the engine.

Progress at last!

Regards, Mark.

tinman52 04-12-2016 07:02 PM

Awesome! How much of a floor hump will you have? Will the OE cover work?

Badmoonreizen 04-12-2016 07:21 PM

The OE cover fits fine, no additional hump space needed, even with the air cleaner on.
Getting to the trans dipstick requires me hiring a contortionist, but it is accessible.

Regards, Mark.

fordman75 04-12-2016 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen (Post 16202534)
The OE cover fits fine, no additional hump space needed, even with the air cleaner on.
Getting to the trans dipstick requires me hiring a contortionist, but it is accessible.

Regards, Mark.

You should find a Econoline dipstick and dipstick tube.:-X22

Badmoonreizen 04-13-2016 05:01 AM

The trans is out of a 1979 E-250. Is an Econoline dipstick and tube different?

fordman75 04-13-2016 04:34 PM

Most of the Econoline ones I've seen have came up to the front of the engine. They have longer dipsticks and tubes. It can be a pain dealing with the longer dipstick. But it's much easier to reach, to check it.