Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   48-52 Lower Door Seal and Retainer ?????? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1293384-48-52-lower-door-seal-and-retainer.html)

raytasch 01-24-2014 12:57 PM

48-52 Lower Door Seal and Retainer ??????

I need the advice of the 48-52 door molding / seal experts.
I purchased the lower door seals from a well known vendor and tried to install them in my original rust free lower seal retainers. The new seals just will not go into the original retainers, too thick, too wide, length is OK. High temperatures, low temperatures, lubrication, they just will not fit. So, I purchased new metal seal retainers and the rubber seals slide right into the new retainer, just like they were made to fit. The new retainer is wider than the original.
So, can someone tell, explain to this old boy how to fit the new seals into the original retainers? Or, must I do what I hate to think of doing, drill the welds and remove those nice original rust free seal retainers?
I learned many years ago that when I was doing something and found it difficult, perhaps I was missing something, doing it the wrong way.
So, how about it FTE Monkey Face and Manure Spreader experts, what am I doing wrong. Help this old boy out :-X16 Certainly someone has been here and done this.

FortyNiner 01-24-2014 01:04 PM

Don't know what to tell you Ray. I replaced mine last fall on the '49 and didn't have any fit issues going into the original retainers. The one's in installed were relabeled DC product.

Gotta wonder if the item wasn't mis-marked and simply the wrong size.

DW

ALBUQ F-1 01-24-2014 01:31 PM

They are just a #$%^&* to get in. I spent at least an hour a side poking it in with a small screwdriver, one blade-width at a time. It really helps to thoroughly clean the track first, which I'm sure you did. I don't doubt they are just not "as original" by a few thousandths, and no way on earth would they slide in on mine. To add insult to injury, they don't seal against the door when closed.... :-arrgh:-arrgh

You could try bending up the lips at one end, soaping the rubber, and try feeding it in. Good luck!

raytasch 01-24-2014 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by FortyNiner (Post 13992468)
Don't know what to tell you Ray. I replaced mine last fall on the '49 and didn't have any fit issues going into the original retainers. The one's in installed were relabeled DC product.

Gotta wonder if the item wasn't mis-marked and simply the wrong size.

DW

Thanks. My seals are DC products, also. The rest of the stuff for the door looks and fits like it should.

And, I have removed all the paint from the original retainer.

dmack91 01-24-2014 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 13992554)
They are just a #$%^&* to get in. I spent at least an hour a side poking it in with a small screwdriver, one blade-width at a time. It really helps to thoroughly clean the track first, which I'm sure you did. I don't doubt they are just not "as original" by a few thousandths, and no way on earth would they slide in on mine. To add insult to injury, they don't seal against the door when closed.... :-arrgh:-arrgh

You could try bending up the lips at one end, soaping the rubber, and try feeding it in. Good luck!

I got mine through Classic Haulers, but had the exact same issues as Ross, as in identical on all accounts.

raytasch 01-24-2014 05:11 PM

Well, after much dis cussin with Blue and her reluctance to have new rubbers fit, I realized they were not going in as they were. Perhaps with a way to compress the part that fit into the retainer but I was not going to build a special tool. After measuring the seal, measuring the retainer, I trimmed about 3/32" off the edge of the seal. I was then able to work the seal into the retainer after the modification. I'll do the other side tomorrow, supposed to be a bit warmer. And, yes, I scratched the paint.:-arrgh
Thanks for the replies, suggestions and comments.