Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   EGR delete (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1291626-egr-delete.html)

diamondrcattle 01-16-2014 06:38 AM

EGR delete

First post here, thanks for the tons of info. My feed truck is an F-350 with the 6.4L 2010. I hated the regen and just put a Sparten tuner and dpf delete pipe in it. Totally different truck. It will keep up with my 6.7L now.

They offer an egr delete. I loaded that tune with the 250hp. What are the PROS and CONS of NOT doing a complete delete and just controlling electronically? According to sparten the egr valve will not opened when deleted unless pressures get high. So why pull it out if I wasn't having any previous issues???

Thanks for your thoughts.

bubbasz1 01-16-2014 07:16 AM

My personal thought are if you do an EGR delete electronically you might as well take the coolers off so you don't ever have a coolant issue with the egr coolers leaking. It doesn't happen very often in the 6.4's but it has happened. You also don't have all those exhaust gases going through your intake, mucking things up.

diamondrcattle 01-16-2014 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bubbasz1 (Post 13960722)
My personal thought are if you do an EGR delete electronically you might as well take the coolers off so you don't ever have a coolant issue with the egr coolers leaking. It doesn't happen very often in the 6.4's but it has happened. You also don't have all those exhaust gases going through your intake, mucking things up.

Not completely familiar with how egr works on a diesel, but if its deleted electronically wint exhaust gasses be very limited running thru intake if it remains closed except under high pressure? Educate me! Thanks

bubbasz1 01-16-2014 02:02 PM

If you delete it electronically the egr gasses are gone, you only have to worry about an egr cooler leak, although the 6.4 isn't really known for that it does happen.

GSchretter 01-16-2014 06:54 PM

I've ran the CMD EGR = 0 for two years (Custom tune to set all EGR % to 0) along with block plates and the intake was as clean as I bought it new.

So it works fine but my concern was is if they leak and I wanted to put on RCD SS headers so off it goes.

winklershop 01-22-2014 01:32 PM

has anyone figured out how to do a EGR STEALTH DELETE on these 6.4's? same idea as the 6.0 L but there is more to these. weld the ends of the egr coolers shut, and leave everything inplace so it looks stocks, passes visual emission inspection.

winklershop 01-22-2014 01:35 PM

also....has anyone figured out the DPF STEALTH DELETE. drill out the honey comb in DPF and tune it, this way it passes visual inspection, and then you only have to buy a tuner to reprogram the computer, and you dont have to buy the exhaust pipe replacement. those DPF kits are spendy