Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Aluminum F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1290956-aluminum-f-150-a.html)

Doc 01-13-2014 09:32 AM

Aluminum F-150

Thought this might interest you guys. I wonder what kind of MPG's these trucks are gonna get.

Aluminum-intensive 2015 Ford F-150 revealed | Fox News

FortyNiner 01-13-2014 09:46 AM

Class-exclusive integrated loading ramps and a remote opening tailgate will be offered...

Mercy - a remote for THE TAILGATE?

raytasch 01-13-2014 10:39 AM

Let me see, my '07 is how old? But, only 55,000 miles thereon. Recon I need a new truck? :-X16 :-X15:-X15

Doc 01-13-2014 10:58 AM

I'm thinking I'd rather hold out for the 2016 Model. I remember when that truck "revolution" was happening back in the 90's. Dodge kind of got the ball rolling, and the others had to keep up. I bought a 1997 F-150 (the first year of the entirely new look). It had (and still has) some issues that were quickly corrected for the next model year. The one that comes to my mind was the brake rotors. Ford got em WAY too tight. Basically, they had to be broken off the spindles during the first brake job. Ask anybody who owned a brand new 97--they'll remember the hell of trying to get those rotors off. There were some other issues as well. The exhaust was in an awkward place, the oil filter was in a very vulnerable location, etc. etc.

Considering so many people like the patina, or primered, look now, I wonder if there will be an option of "no paint". Just let the aluminum shine, LOL.

topmoo 01-13-2014 11:11 AM

"electronic driver assist features include adaptive radar cruise control, a blind-spot warning system and lane-keeping assist, which uses a camera to help steer the truck between the lines on the road."

There are a lot of drivers here in Houston that really, really need this feature!

I am wondering what the price tag for these is going to be...:-hair

Doc 01-13-2014 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by topmoo (Post 13948755)
"electronic driver assist features include adaptive radar cruise control, a blind-spot warning system and lane-keeping assist, which uses a camera to help steer the truck between the lines on the road."

There are a lot of drivers here in Houston that really, really need this feature!

I am wondering what the price tag for these is going to be...:-hair

All good points!! LOL I wonder about the price tag too.

For those of you who have been to Truckstock, can you imagine me trying to drive that truck down my little crooked, broken, narrow road with that "lane-keeping assist" stuff? :-hair Can you imagine how hard it would slam me into the hillside or throw me over the edge when it encountered that little squiggly white line they drew around that hole in the pavement? :D I'm sure you guys remember the one I'm talking about. A bunch of you laughed hard about it.

Jag Red 54 01-13-2014 12:00 PM

I hope that the basic truck is not changed. However, one article says that they may shrink the engine some to promote mpgs. As for the price, Ford says that they will continue the 2014 pricing and make up the difference on reduced recycling costs. I guess the revenue from recycling AL vs FE is a lot!:D But seriously folks. NO MORE RUST! Talk about keeping the vehicles on the road a long time. People in the snow belt should love this improvement. JAG

ALBUQ F-1 01-13-2014 12:15 PM

Aluminum "rusts", mostly due to salt. Not the same way as steel, but it disappears. Where it contacts steel, and gets salt, whoa nelly! No question it is better than steel from a corrosion standpoint, but I bet this gives refinishers fits.

Did I read that right that there won't be a manual trans option, only 6-sp autos????

I'd rather see them quit trying to make vehicles that can survive a head-on with a locomotive at 65 mph, and get the weight back down where it was in the late 60's/early 70's.

MisterCMK 01-13-2014 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 13948963)
Aluminum "rusts", mostly due to salt. Not the same way as steel, but it disappears. Where it contacts steel, and gets salt, whoa nelly! No question it is better than steel from a corrosion standpoint, but I bet this gives refinishers fits.

Did I read that right that there won't be a manual trans option, only 6-sp autos????

I'd rather see them quit trying to make vehicles that can survive a head-on with a locomotive at 65 mph, and get the weight back down where it was in the late 60's/early 70's.

There hasn't been a manual option for a number of years.

You want to see more people killed in auto accidents?

Gicknordon 01-13-2014 12:38 PM

Im interested what the new 2.7 eco boost engine will get for mileage, and if they bump up the hp on the 5.0 and the 3.5 eco boost. With out the 6.2, hopefully the eco boost will get a decent boost in power.

ALBUQ F-1 01-13-2014 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by MisterCMK (Post 13948970)
There hasn't been a manual option for a number of years.

You want to see more people killed in auto accidents?

Well, that ices the cake, cancel my order! :-arrgh Last thing I need is an automatic that costs $4k+ to rebuild.

I don't wish more people to die in accidents, but lighter pickups would HELP the people who get smacked by an F-150 while driving their <3,000 lb cars.

Nojive55 01-13-2014 01:07 PM

Around here if it ain't nailed down and painted aluminum has a tendency to disappear. I can see coming out in the morning and having all the panels cut out of your new truck. Would definitely raise the scrap vs. repair break.

I have a question for you body men, would these be harder or easier to repair (patch welding, shaping, filler etc.), what about painting, any special paint or prep.

NumberDummy 01-13-2014 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 13948722)
I'm thinking I'd rather hold out for the 2016 Model. :-huh

2015 will be all new, not a 2009/2014 that is a 'restyled' 2004/2008.

Current F150 5.0L 2WD Super Crew with its fully boxed frame weighs 5,875 lbs. It's the heaviest of all the automakers "1/2 ton" pickups.

:( The dash in the 2015 looks like it came from a 2004/2014 Titan.

Bought this 1/22/2011: 2011 F150 Lariat 5.0L 2WD Super Crew: Optional Lariat Plus Package, heated/cooled captains chairs with flow thru center console/shifter, trailer brake controller. MSRP: $39,990.00.

Current 3.5L Eco-Boost is 365 HP, 5.0L is 360 HP. Y'all can have the Eco, 215 cid to power a 3 ton truck...how long will it last?

btw: Lariat comes standard with 5.0L, Eco-Boost is an option that adds about 1400 bucks to the MSRP. I told the salespeep no thanks in 2011, will say no thanks again when the time comes.

underthebridgejim 01-13-2014 01:25 PM

This may be a stupid question, but in this day and age can you still order a "Plain Jane" model of anything, rubber/plastic mats no radio, etc?

NumberDummy 01-13-2014 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by underthebridgejim (Post 13949138)
This may be a stupid question, but in this day and age can you still order a "Plain Jane" model of anything, rubber/plastic mats no radio, etc?

XL is the plain jane, MSRP begins at around 24,000 bucks for a Regular Cab w/a 3.7L V6.

Vinyl seats, rubber floor mat, crank windows standard equipment (except Super Crew), cloth seats, carpeting optional.

Power windows, door locks/keyless entry standard on Super Crew, optional on Regular & Super Cab.

All these trucks come with a radio and A/C. XL standard equipment radio is AM/FM/Clock, no C/D or Sync (optional).

I'm reading this from the 2013 brochure, haven't swung by the dealer yet for the 2014 version.

btw: The 2WD's have a very high step in height, the 4WD's are worse, running boards are optional. But none, including the 50 grand Limited (comes with 22" wheels), have a left side grab handle.

To get in, you have to grab onto the steering wheel...which, over time, won't do the steering column any good.