Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum249/)
-   -   Mud Tyres (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1290914-mud-tyres.html)

WA F250 01-13-2014 04:13 AM

Mud Tyres

Hi Guys been awhile been stuck renovating the house. I don't think it will ever end. Anyway Finally got a container load of parts in from USAtoAus. Amongst it all are my 6 x 16x9 Moto Metal 951's -12 offset.
Now I am looking for a decent Mud Terrain tyre. I seem to be stuck between the BFG KM2 MT 315/75r16,Or I see the MT MTZ comes in a E rated 315/75r16 or also a 375/ (36/15.5r16) but only a 8 ply rated 126 N .
Just wanted to see if anyone has any other recommendations/experience on what to run? I have flares fitted so I can cover some extra width and also a lift kit. I wouldn't mind going to a 37 if I can make it fit and work? I prefer the full wheel arch look not a huge gap due to the xx" lifts required to make them work.
I have run loads of KM2 before or patrols and hiluxs but nothing this heavy and I have run the MudStar also on my last GMC truck.
I dont want any scrubbing.
I know they are not always practible but I love the wide MT look and road noise is just ambience to me!! Or a few clicks on the stereo.
I have a new PHP Hydrachip on the way and my JWVB is sitting in a box waiting for when I get home. just need to find time to install.

Thanks in advance!!
http://rimzoneonline.com/media/catal.../5/951GB_3.jpg

Aussie BrianB 01-13-2014 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by WA F250 (Post 13947835)
Hi Guys been awhile been stuck renovating the house. I don't think it will ever end. Anyway Finally got a container load of parts in from USAtoAus. Amongst it all are my 6 x 16x9 Moto Metar 951's -12 offset.
Now I am looking for a decent Mud Terrain tyre. I seem to be stuck between the BFG KM2 MT 315/75r16,Or I see the MT MTZ comes in a E rated 315/75r16 or also a 375/ (36/15.5r16) but only a 8 ply rated 126 N .
Just wanted to see if anyone has any other recommendations/experience on what to run? I have flares fitted so I can cover some extra width and also a lift kit. I wouldn't mind going to a 37 if I can make it fit and work? I prefer the full wheel arch look not a huge gap due to the xx" lifts required to make them work.
I have run loads of KM2 before or patrols and hiluxs but nothing this heavy and I have run the MudStar also on my last GMC truck.
I dont want any scrubbing.
I know they are not always practible but I love the wide MT look and road noise is just ambience to me!! Or a few clicks on the stereo.
I have a new PHP Hydrachip on the way and my JWVB is sitting in a box waiting for when I get home. just need to find time to install.

Thanks in advance!!
http://rimzoneonline.com/media/catal.../5/951GB_3.jpg

Ihad Coopers on my 80 series and ditched them for a set of KM2s.
Best thing I ever did with tyres.
Can't comment on what they are like on the F250.
It still has the 315/75 16 Coopers on it that the previous owner fitted.
I will be changing to KM2 BFGs when the Coopers have worn out.

WA F250 01-13-2014 05:48 AM

Thanks Brian that is kinda what I was thinking. I just want to make sure that a 315/75 aka 35x12.5 will fill those wheel wells up with these rims and the flares or should i be looking at 375/65 aka 36x15.5 to fill them up and still look good and functional, and handle the weight? ATM I am running the DynaPro AT 315/75 that PO stupidly put on stock 7" rims. a bit of a no-no!!!!

Aussie BrianB 01-13-2014 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by WA F250 (Post 13947897)
Thanks Brian that is kinda what I was thinking. I just want to make sure that a 315/75 aka 35x12.5 will fill those wheel wells up with these rims and the flares or should i be looking at 375/65 aka 36x15.5 to fill them up and still look good and functional, and handle the weight? ATM I am running the DynaPro AT 315/75 that PO stupidly put on stock 7" rims. a bit of a no-no!!!!

I'll try and find time to take a photo of mine.
I don't know what size the rims are on mine.
They look about 12" buy I'm guessing.
They were on it when I bought it.

BigF350 01-13-2014 11:21 AM

I personally like the Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain. Not sure if you can source them easily out your way or not?

I see in your sig that you only have a 3" lift though, is that right? It might limit you to ~35's without rubbing.

WA F250 01-13-2014 10:49 PM

Hi Adrian, I have been running 315/75 (35/12.5) on 7" rims since I purchased the truck. The only rubbing has been on the springs at full lock either way. If there is still rubbing after installing the 3" I will go another inch if required. I just like to keep the wheel/tyre package somewhat reasonable to my preference.
It looked like I had plenty of clearance on the fenders and bull bar to allow the wheels to be pushed out the extra 1/2" each side or am i missing something else? I don't run the stock bumper or valance that was under there.
Here are the Toyo specs, 315/75R16 121P. Am I correct in assuming they are Class E rated?? They look the goods

SSSimon 01-14-2014 05:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Glen,

tyre rating can be tricky, especially if you're going to be airing-down for the soft stuff.

On my BFG's the max rating is achieved at 80psi, so if you're planning to run lower pressures in the soft stuff you won't wont to be running a tyre that just exceeds your max-axle load.

See Load Index & Speed Symbol - Info - Bob Jane T-Marts

I'm running BFG's which are 126Q Load E rated.

BTW, how are the 315-75 16s wearing on the 7" rims. I know it is not recommended but I've seen a few comments where people say that you can get away with it. I'd be inclined to get those tyres re-fitted to your new rims while you are doing your suspension adjustments, then step up from there once things become clearer regarding rubbing/looks/etc.

WA F250 01-14-2014 05:33 AM

So based on what you have given me Simon I should be looking at more like the 375/65r16 MT which is rated @1500kgs ea and 140KPH and that would give me a total of 6,000kgs on the tyres or 3ton each axle?? and the best possible low pressure rating as I do a heap of beach work and it would also give me the best footprint at a higher pressure. Now has anyone ran the said MT MTZ 375/65r16???

And one other thing Simon, how on earth do you post pics??

SSSimon 01-14-2014 05:41 AM

Pics have to be little. If your pics are big your optios are to: upload to a picture hosting site then post links, or drop into a photo editor and save as a smaller size. Another way to shrink them is to use the open the pic, use Send Photo attachments - then send as small size, save as draft email, then open the image and save back into your picture directory.

WA F250 01-14-2014 07:32 AM

Simon, I have the pictures down small but I still cant get them to cut and paste nor drag into the box. What am I missing?????

As for wear, they have been wearing fine just the backs seem to wear faster than the steerers but I think that is down to my right foot and the WW2!!!! I just can't stand the scrubbing/rubbing on the springs at close to full lock on flat ground. They do balloon out nicely but again I think that also maybe detrimental to the sidewalls as they are not really being loaded as the manufacturer designed it? I would also hate to explain it to an investigator after a major accident.

BigF350 01-14-2014 01:12 PM

If you rub on the spring at full lock, a 3" lift won't really change that much.
Your wheels will however, with -12 offset, you are moving the wheels out another 18mm from the stock wheels (stock wheels are +6), this means you can fit tyres that are ~35mm wider than what you have now to rub the same amount. As you go up in diameter, that number gets less tho as the tire "swings in" more when turning, some of that will be offset by the springs being more "arched" (springs won't hit the centreline of the tire). I think a 375 will rub a lot! I'd start with the tyres you have now and fit them to the new tims until you wear them out. Once you have on, you can get a quick measuring tape to see the clearance to the rim at full lock.

I would be less worried about weight rating at lower pressures, because when you air down for sand you are going at much lower speed, and its really only important that you have it at the high pressures for high speed. My experience is that the lower weight rating tyres have more flexible side walls and provide a larger footprint when airing down (although are more susceptible to sidewall punctures in the bush). That said, if you have a bullbar, winch and cabin full of people, you want tyres that will give you at least 2.5 ton across the front axle at full pressure for when you are on the hwy.

To attach pics to a post like Simon did, you have to be a supporter. Otherwise just put them in a photo album (or on another image provider like imgur.com) and put [IMG] tags around the photo url.

WA F250 01-14-2014 10:45 PM

Simon/Adrian,

Thanks. you have pounded a little common sense into me. I was all gun ho for new big tyres on my new wheels but I must conceed that trying the present tyres on the new wheels is the right thing to do to ensure I spend my money wisely on the new MT's! and I guess I will also see how the 35/12.5's fill out the wheel wells too.

SSSimon 01-15-2014 04:00 AM

There was another WA F250 owner if I remember rightly running 315 on 10" rims for sand work. I wonder how they are working out for him?

This might give you's a chuckle (or heart attack).

This is what I'm currently doing my beach work with:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10776...13830402976812

WA F250 01-15-2014 04:19 AM

Simon, the link keeps asking for a password?????
I guess I manly was worried that a 12.5 wide tyre would look a bit skinny on our trucks as opposed to a 15.5 wide. Kinda a propotional thing like the difference between a 10.5 and a 12.5 on a landcruiser or patrol?? I will wait and see

SSSimon 01-15-2014 04:32 AM

Link should work now.

I found the my old 305s filled out to the edge of the flared guards I have, so much so that mud would come off the tyres up the sides of the truck.

The 285's I've put on are 20mm within the flares, but the tallness of the tyre fills up the wheel arch. I'm pretty happy with the looks. Diving hard on the 305's was probably responsible for premature wear of the trucks ball-joints and front hubs. I've replaced the worn bits and am happy to be on something more truck friendly..

. I think the 315's will fill the guards without being stupid wide