Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Diesel Dash Dilemma (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1288256-diesel-dash-dilemma.html)

Jaime74656 02-07-2018 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 17780757)
I have a 128G micro SD, but some of my devices can't read it. It's not that I got a low-quality SD card - it has something to do with the device makers having limits on the storage size. I have a small laptop with a micro SD slot, and the box says max is 64G. Bugger.

agreed, it depends on what device you have and what it can read, the 128gb cards are still relatively “new” at this point, so not everything will work correctly with the cards

red mistress 02-07-2018 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by mcnance865 (Post 17780972)
I have looked some at the newer Alpine units that you can use apple carplay and the android auto. Trying to figure out if you can really use your phone to control things or if the head unit takes over once connected. I realize there are restrictions due to safety concerns. What I am getting at is; if I use Spotify (or other app) and have a passenger who is choosing songs while I drive, can they just use the phone in their hands how they normally would? I have tried head units before that say it is easy to control, but my real concern is that trying to scroll on the vertical head unit screen would be terribly inconvenient to the point that this expensive item would not even be worth buying. Thanks for any input.

I looked at the Alpine INE-W977HD can add a module to control up to 8 relay's for lights, ARB compressor etc...

But it's spendy and the Joying & Pumpkin are getting good reviews.

mcnance865 02-07-2018 10:59 AM

Are the joying and pumpkin only for Android? I have an iPhone

Skip1970 02-07-2018 12:55 PM

why dont you sell that iphone and get a android phone so you will have more freedom.

L-ight 02-07-2018 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Skip1970 (Post 17782762)
why dont you sell that iphone and get a android phone so you will have more freedom.

You really don't need an android phone to own the android head unit. If you can hotspot on Iphone then that is all you need and you can then download all apps to your android head unit.

mcnance865 02-07-2018 03:19 PM

That is definitely not what I am after. I do not want to use the head unit to try and scroll through a Spotify playlist of 500 songs. Or downloading apps. It sounds like regular Bluetooth connectivity is much more what I’m looking for. Being able to use maps from phone would be helpful but maybe not worth the expense.

JT250 02-07-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by mcnance865 (Post 17783015)
That is definitely not what I am after. I do not want to use the head unit to try and scroll through a Spotify playlist of 500 songs. Or downloading apps. It sounds like regular Bluetooth connectivity is much more what I’m looking for. Being able to use maps from phone would be helpful but maybe not worth the expense.

I love being able to use Google maps on my HU.

Skip1970 02-07-2018 05:56 PM

it be great to be able to make them last minute snipe bids on ebay going down the highway!

BBslider001 02-10-2018 08:08 AM

I'll say,just for fun cuz I'll prolly get flamed, but I like my good looking old stock unit for two reasons. 1) I'ts not blinding me at night with crap I don't care about and still looks great with the dash...and 2) when I have no cell signal to use Spotify and bluetooth, I rely on my many CDs I still have from years ago and don't have to worry about being in the middle of nowhere and having no music.

Now if the lights were burnt out and it didn't function, I'd get a reliable BT unit. I just don't see how people like those screen monstrosities, but that's just me. I've always felt like I was born too late anyways.

Tugly 02-10-2018 09:04 AM

I frequently shut off the screen on my head unit, and I believe many of them have this as an automatic feature. You can actually make a head unit darker than you can the stock radio, because the radio is like the dash lights.

As for music in the middle of nowhere - I burned all my CDs to a computer, then I just made an SD card with about 24 hours of music I like on it. Ya gotta admit... having the potential for thousands of songs on an SD card you keep in the dash has its merits.

I swore I wouldn't do it, but now I have Satellite radio - because my boating takes me where there is no music. I link the Sirius XM thingy with the head unit when I tow the boat with the truck, then I pop out the thingy and put it in the cradle in the boat when I launch.

coax9952 02-11-2018 04:07 PM

I did the same thing with my CD's. Took all the songs that I like and burned them onto a Thumb drive....I quit trying to count them, too many. Plug 'em into one of the USB jacks and Miles 'o' music. I still haven't gotten to the end...

BBslider001 02-12-2018 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 17788817)
I frequently shut off the screen on my head unit, and I believe many of them have this as an automatic feature. You can actually make a head unit darker than you can the stock radio, because the radio is like the dash lights.

As for music in the middle of nowhere - I burned all my CDs to a computer, then I just made an SD card with about 24 hours of music I like on it. Ya gotta admit... having the potential for thousands of songs on an SD card you keep in the dash has its merits.

I swore I wouldn't do it, but now I have Satellite radio - because my boating takes me where there is no music. I link the Sirius XM thingy with the head unit when I tow the boat with the truck, then I pop out the thingy and put it in the cradle in the boat when I launch.

Originally Posted by coax9952 (Post 17791659)
I did the same thing with my CD's. Took all the songs that I like and burned them onto a Thumb drive....I quit trying to count them, too many. Plug 'em into one of the USB jacks and Miles 'o' music. I still haven't gotten to the end...

dangit now you guys are making me question my choices!!!:-arrgh:-X04

Skip1970 02-13-2018 02:55 PM

yep them headunits with microsd cards are the way to go, get thousands of cds on just one tiny card the size of a fingernail!

Jaime74656 02-21-2018 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by BBslider001 (Post 17793184)
dangit now you guys are making me question my choices!!!:-arrgh:-X04

well you can always wuestion your CDs getting scratched due to flying across the cab ;) anyways get a HU with SD card abilities and you will NEVER go back, I did for my mustang and yea, I loved it, my entire 64GB music library taken on the go, hehe hours upon hours (more like days) of music to never get bored of!!:-jammin

BBslider001 02-22-2018 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jaime74656 (Post 17816520)
well you can always wuestion your CDs getting scratched due to flying across the cab ;) anyways get a HU with SD card abilities and you will NEVER go back, I did for my mustang and yea, I loved it, my entire 64GB music library taken on the go, hehe hours upon hours (more like days) of music to never get bored of!!:-jammin

I have been considering this, but the only thing is I don't use iTunes anymore. I rely heavily on Spotify. How do you guys get music on a card or thumb drive? Surely there has to be other Android options and not just Apple. I don't have a music library anymore, so to speak.